Adding a DAC , Thoughts please

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I am looking at adding a DAC to my system I have an Arcamm CD73T cd player which I find a little clinical. My amps are Audiolab 8000a nd p mk2 bi amped with a paire of Monitor Audio BR5 speakers I am using QED Aniversary Bi wire cable with Airloc conectors and Chord Company interconects. I am after a warmer sound which I am currently not getting. I listen to a wide variety of music . My budget is around £250 . I am looking at the moment at the Dacmagic the new Beresford Bushmater and have seen an Arcam on offer at my local Sevenoaks for £249. What are your thoughts ?

lewis hurlin said:
I am looking at adding a DAC to my system I have an Arcamm CD73T cd player which I find a little clinical. My amps are Audiolab 8000a nd p mk2 bi amped with a paire of Monitor Audio BR5 speakers I am using QED Aniversary Bi wire cable with Airloc conectors and Chord Company interconects. I am after a warmer sound which I am currently not getting. I listen to a wide variety of music . My budget is around £250 . I am looking at the moment at the Dacmagic the new Beresford Bushmater and have seen an Arcam on offer at my local Sevenoaks for £249. What are your thoughts ?

Mmmm, Arcam CD73 clinical? That's new one on me. I used to own a DacMagic and used the 73T as transport... wasn't impressed in the slightest. As a consequence the DacMagic is no longer...

Have to admit the 73T with Cambridge 840 amp and Audiolab sounded a little mechanical IMO.

I would be looking at Arcam's rDac or if you can find one cheap enough Rega Dac.

I think the problem is the Audiolab and MA speakers. When I've heard the combo (RS6s) it sounded very unnatural. Change one and you'll notice a difference.

Sorry can't give any more help.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Everything sounds clinical these days.. people got so use to it, that they cant even tell anymore. About 65% of Hifi these days is so clinical sounding.. I dnt know about the Arcam player, but have u tried Q Acoustics range of speakers.. Lovely!! I currently got The Audiolab M-Dac & its just so good. But if u could save up it will be very well worth the wait. If not get the Cambridge audio Dacmagic... its currently £199.00 at richersounds.. Also try chord for speaker cables as well. I had some really expensive cables & then changed them to chord carnival silver screen. I now have an open more rounder fuller sound.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will solve anything. It's more a trait of Audiolab and Monitor Audio so your amps and speakers are what you find too clinical I expect. If anything Arcam tend to be on the warmer side of things. Adding a DAC in that price range will be a sideways step that you would hardly notice imo.

I'd maybe look at a longer term upgrade of some speakers more suited to your taste.

First and foremost though have a look at your room, it's very easy to soften things up a bit with some soft furnishings

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This is why I got shut of my cd73, ran it with alpha 9 and MA rs6 and it was garbage with rock etc and the wife complained it was hurting her ears. Can't offer any advice on the dac though sorry.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Also, now I'm running a Sony 480 blu ray for cd duties until I can get a dac and this sounds nearly as good at playing floyd, pearl jam etc and better for rock and metal. Work that one out!!!! Can't see the point in wasting money on a dedicated Cdp anymore.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
lewis hurlin said:

CD73T clinical? It mighe be something else in the system. Well if you think that sounds clinical then I wouldn't really bother with the dac magic, it'll be brighter. I think you should audition the rdac, although its not the most treble friendly device at times. I would suggest spending a bit more towards a dac if you are tryin to better your cd player as dacs in this price range sound a bit bright.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts