Active speakers a possibility?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just toying with ideas currently whilst I'm sulking about my car and not being able to do much re a new system until it's all sorted!!!

If I went down the route of active speakers such as Acoustic Energy AE22 Active; what would I need to make a full system (i.e. CDP, speaker cables, better mains leads, optical cables, stands etc...)

I'm assuming decent stands would be needed so I'd be looking at the larger Atacam range or possibly the Partinton Dreadnought Broadsides etc...

How do you get the music to the speakers (dumb question I know). Is it just a case of using a normal CDP or do I need a pre-amp/DAC in place as well?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
It's a pre-amp into the active speakers. Balanced interconnects would be best if you have the option at both ends as you'll obviously be using longer runs than would typically be the case between pre and power amp.

A

Anonymous

Have a look at the Bang and Olufsen speakers. They're active and include some slim floorstanders, plus others that can be hung on a wall.

Some of them look rather nice, too.

A

Anonymous

Yes Chebby they do have a built in Dac, all you need is either a cd player or a dvd and you can connect via Toslink or phono cables depending on your source. I have found that mine have improved after running in, I have also filled my dreadnaughts with Kiln dried sand.They have good bass for the size and they go loud to, I would like a sub for Tv(24,flash forward and the like movie of course) but we need to move house for that as the tv sits in a corner and we cant place the speakers either side.

Messiah

d_a_n1979: what would I need to make a full system (i.e. CDP, speaker cables, better mains leads, optical cables, stands etc...)

I'm assuming decent stands would be needed so I'd be looking at the larger Atacam range or possibly the Partinton Dreadnought Broadsides etc...

As far as cables are concerned, the manufacturer himself recommends using bog standard mains leads and digital cables. All you would need is a toslink/optical lead or standard phono cables. Obviously if you feel upgraded cables are required then give them a whirl.

As far as stands are concerned, certainly a decent pair are recommended.

d_a_n1979:

How do you get the music to the speakers (dumb question I know). Is it just a case of using a normal CDP or do I need a pre-amp/DAC in place as well?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

With the ADMs you would just need a source. These speakers have a DAC and Pre-amp built in.

I would certainly recommend an audition at least...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:My only issues with the ADM's is the many reviews that have come back stating that theyre bass shy!

That's a no-no for me.

I think the company maintains that the 'lack of bass' is just a temporary (and false) perception due to the average listener being so used to the colouration and warmth caused by passive crossovers and their inherent lack of bass control compared to active AVI's.

Also see Fahnsen's response to Craig regarding the same criticism in this thread .

T

the record spot

d_a_n1979:Just toying with ideas currently whilst I'm sulking about my car and not being able to do much re a new system until it's all sorted!!!

If I went down the route of active speakers such as Acoustic Energy AE22 Active; what would I need to make a full system (i.e. CDP, speaker cables, better mains leads, optical cables, stands etc...)

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Yep, bung on a CDP, or other source, a bit of cable (needn't be anything fancy or pricey if you know what you're looking for so ditch the "better mains leads" concept if you can). Can't recall if the excellent AE22s have a pre-amp, but they are incredibly well rated and at £800 worthy of a listen. No DAC, but if you go down the CDP route, this is academic.

As for stands, try out some of the Apollo range, well made, good build, longstanding brand, don;t cost the earth (Dreadnoughts? Meh...).

A

Anonymous

chebby:
d_a_n1979:My only issues with the ADM's is the many reviews that have come back stating that theyre bass shy!

That's a no-no for me.

I think the company maintains that the 'lack of bass' is just a temporary (and false) perception due to the average listener being so used to the colouration and warmth caused by passive crossovers and their inherent lack of bass control compared to active AVI's.

Also see Fahnsen's response to Craig regarding the same criticism in this thread .

Although the fact AVI also markets a subwoofer would seem to recognise the ADMs don't go deep which, given their size, is understandable.

Messiah

The bass on the ADMs does take getting use to but that does not take long. I certainly wouldn't say they were bass shy, just accurate.

However, I use my sub and now that I have it set up just right I will always use it when possible. It does sound better!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately there's one thing I dont want and that's a sub.

I've already got one with the surround system and that takes up enough room and there's none for another
emotion-6.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There are a couple of areas that will sound different (which are also areas that can reveal difference in many passive designs too) when comparing active/passive, but this doesn't mean that either design has to lack bass - this is usually down to cabinet volume an air shifting abilities.

A

Anonymous

I find that the 9.1's can shift a fair bit of air! they make my cottage walls vibrate and we have a very heavy sideboard( i can only move if I have my back against a wall)vibrate.I think it is more about getting used to a different presentation than lacking,they do need running in to sound at there best!

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:the fact AVI also markets a subwoofer would seem to recognise the ADMs don't go deep which, given their size, is understandable.

AVI also states that you don't really need the sub, and recommend that you buy the speakers and get used to them before you consider the sub...

Myself I wanted new speakers because my old ones didn't go deep enough -- so I bought the sub right away.

Beware that the crossover frequency of the ADM sub might be set as low as 20Hz. Which indicates, either that the designers at AVI don't have a clue, or that these babies can go deeper than you thought at first, with the right room acoustics... Officially, the ADM9.1s has a lower limit of about 60Hz though.

The nearest competitor to the ADMs in my case, was the Dynaudio Focus 110As. Dynaudio claims a lower limit of 45Hz, but with a cabinet resonance of 54Hz and the matching sub with a crossover frequency of 60Hz, I find that a little hard to believe.

A

Anonymous

Fahnsen, doesn't it then seem a bit odd that AVI go to all that trouble and expense to develop a sub? Don't forget AVI are in the business of selling after all, and their spiel should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Personally I'm not fussed about earth shattering bass, so that wouldn't be a negative for me. The last speakers I owned were Epos, and I loved them. However, it didn't bother me that some people found them bass light or too forward. You buy speakers because you personally like the sound, that's it. You'll see negative comments about every component under the sun, you always do. Therefore if people say the AVIs are a bit down on bass, so be it.

The ADMs are goiing to be liked by a lot of people but will leave a lot of others cold, and that's the reality of it.

As I said, when the day comes I'll be looking at actives, including AVIs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts