Active 2 channel set up.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Been a while coming this, pondered actives over a year ago and started a thread about them but finally its in place and nearly finished so i thought i'd post it up.

I'm using MSB Platinum DAC III and matching transport. The DAC is fully balanced using four of MSB's discrete ladder modules, two for each channel. Files up to 32 bit and sample rates of 44.1Khz, 96Khz, 176.4Khz, 192Khz, and 384Khz can be played. Inputs are Coaxial, Toslink, Balanced AES/EBU, 2MSB Network (192k) and 1 Balanced Analog input with a signal to noise ratio of 140db.

I use this DAC direct into the Adam Epsilon using the 2db stepped passive attenuator 0bd - 62db is the range it covers the connection to the speakers are with Furutech balanced cable and the transport connected via a Belkin CAT6 cable.

The Epsilons are X-Art tweeters driven by a Class a/b amp with the drivers being Class D. Some speaker adjustment is possible on the rear such as input gain, high gain and high and shelf filters and frequency range is 36hz - 50khz.

DSCF6235.jpg

DSCF6237.jpg

DSCF6236.jpg

DSCF6239.jpg

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Nice :) And how does it sound? ;)

CnoEvil said:
That all looks great......how does it compare /differ to the Chord.

Thanks guys.

How does it sound? Different, totally different to the Chord/Totem set up, that combo was open, fast, detailed and dramatic, it payed all music on the leading edge with gusto with the bass being deep, clean and agile, you could pick out bass notes with ease. This is far more relaxed, textured, intimate, the highs are just so easy sounding, you can really get into the notes, palpable? The bass is not as good as the Totem's, the bass does go deep, deeper than i thought they would in my room, i think the front port helps a little in that respect but their not as agile, weirdly though they do sound more realistic? Realistic in my world anyhoo, in that amplified live bass sounds very similar which is good, and the room reverb ads to the effect.

The Adams go loud, louder than the Totems which i though could be a possible but untill i heard i them was never going to be sure. I could drive the Totem's really hard and they would always play the music, at times not knowing how loud they really were. The Adams dont do that, you know when they are loud enough, not sure if this is a good thing or not?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Some interesting thoughts. I would have thought the 'knowing when they're too loud' thing doesn't sound like a good thing, although surprises me a little with what should be very clean actives. Normally, sounding loud is a product of distortion, not realising even though it is loud is a product of a lack of distortion. How long have you been listening to them for?

Take it it was not difficult finding someone who wanted your previous kit? :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
Thanks guys.

How does it sound? Different, totally different to the Chord/Totem set up, that combo was open, fast, detailed and dramatic, it payed all music on the leading edge with gusto with the bass being deep, clean and agile, you could pick out bass notes with ease. This is far more relaxed, textured, intimate, the highs are just so easy sounding, you can really get into the notes, palpable? The bass is not as good as the Totem's, the bass does go deep, deeper than i thought they would in my room, i think the front port helps a little in that respect but their not as agile, weirdly though they do sound more realistic? Realistic in my world anyhoo, in that amplified live bass sounds very similar which is good, and the room reverb ads to the effect.

The Adams go loud, louder than the Totems which i though could be a possible but untill i heard i them was never going to be sure. I could drive the Totem's really hard and they would always play the music, at times not knowing how loud they really were. The Adams dont do that, you know when they are loud enough, not sure if this is a good thing or not?

You are now getting a sound that's heading more in my direction. ;)

Very intriguing course change

Cno

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Some interesting thoughts. I would have thought the 'knowing when they're too loud' thing doesn't sound like a good thing, although surprises me a little with what should be very clean actives. Normally, sounding loud is a product of distortion, not realising even though it is loud is a product of a lack of distortion. How long have you been listening to them for?

Take it it was not difficult finding someone who wanted your previous kit? :)

Yes i agree, i'm not really sure what im hearing at the minute as i've only had them for a couple of months and they took a fare while to get set up right. I can find any meaningful measurements on these Adams but they should be low distortion but at really high volumes would they be the same? I'm not sure yet, and i'm talking stupidly loud, much louder than normal listening, i need sme more time to evaluate.

The old kit sold quicker than i thought it, which was a suprise but a nice one :)

A

Anonymous

Nice system Shooter :), those ribbon tweeters are very good..

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
Yes i agree, i'm not really sure what im hearing at the minute as i've only had them for a couple of months and they took a fare while to get set up right. I can find any meaningful measurements on these Adams but they should be low distortion but at really high volumes would they be the same? I'm not sure yet, and i'm talking stupidly loud, much louder than normal listening, i need sme more time to evaluate.

The old kit sold quicker than i thought it, which was a suprise but a nice one :)

Glad to hear the old kit shifted well, I'm not surprised :)

My experience of active speakers is with ATC, with those I would find it hard to imagine any volume where loud doesn't sound right, other than just being far too loud! The reports I've read from a few users of the high end Adams is that they're relatively similar, perhaps with slightly greater bass output. What you say therefore surprises me a little, but it may just be early days.

Btw I suspect Cno would not consider this system terribly similar to his own if he heard it rather than just your description ;)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter said:
Thanks guys.

You are now getting a sound that's heading more in my direction. ;)

Very intriguing course change

Cno

It is and i'm enjoying it. This system sound reminds me of my vinyl set up but on steriods, the DAC is something else, just so smooth so analog sounding, not digital sounding in any way. Its a ballsy vinyl rig but without the vinyl, you might like it Cno :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Btw I suspect Cno would not consider this system terribly similar to his own if he heard it rather than just your description ;)
Every long journey (in my direction), starts with but a single step! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
It is and i'm enjoying it. This system sound reminds me of my vinyl set up but on steriods, the DAC is something else, just so smooth so analog sounding, not digital sounding in any way. Its a ballsy vinyl rig but without the vinyl, you might like it Cno :)
Ha! I'm not going to listen to that Ben fellow! :shifty:

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:

Cheers max.

Have to agree these ribbon type X-Art tweeters are very good, better than any other i've heard so far, really lush un-forced and easy sounding but natural with it. Don't think i could go back to domes now.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Neat, clean, and simple. I love the look. Sexy kit there...

Thanks jax. Always been a big fan of brushed ally units as they go well with wood cabinets. Also really likeing the Adam's gloss black finish, very cool. I may get the stands painted gloss to match 8)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Steve. :cheers:

Sorry haven't a clue how these compare to the studio monitors, if they have any traits of the Epsilon they would be a pretty decent sound...

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shooter said:
maxflinn said:

Cheers max.

Have to agree these ribbon type X-Art tweeters are very good, better than any other i've heard so far, really lush un-forced and easy sounding but natural with it. Don't think i could go back to domes now.

mirrors exactly my findings. I never heard Adams but I heard other speakers with Heil AVT tweeters (X-Arts are Heil tweeters) and found them lush detailed and unforced. they seemed to me to be bright without brightness, which means there was a lot of high frequency energy generated but there was not a trace of discomfort with it. by comparison my ex Dynaudios sounded shifted down in top octaves, which robbed them off of some sparkle.

BTW, cool system! 8)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
shooter said:
maxflinn said:

Cheers max.

mirrors exactly my findings. I never heard Adams but I heard other speakers with Heil AVT tweeters (X-Arts are Heil tweeters) and found them lush detailed and unforced. they seemed to me to be bright without brightness, which means there was a lot of high frequency energy generated but there was not a trace of discomfort with it. by comparison my ex Dynaudios sounded shifted down in top octaves, which robbed them off of some sparkle.

BTW, cool system! 8)

Thanks oldric :beer:

These don't sparkle like my old system used to but they do extend without effort. There is some energy there for sure but its not unpleasant and whilst walking around the room music has stopped me in my tracks as i hear stuff i've never done before. If you've ever been to an amplified live gig those arrays produce some amazing highs, highs that really gets into your eardrum and makes it tingle, thats how it sounds but not so much of a grand scale. The more i listen to them the more they grow on me, i need to save for the Gamma's :twisted:

TRENDING THREADS