Access to everything vs ownership of some.

idc

Well-known member
Jan 2, 2008
1,093
52
19,270
From Joe Cox's review of the streaming service Rdio

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/streaming-kicks-on-%E2%80%93-and-its-no-longer-all-about-spotify

"It seems likely that for music, in the long run, ‘access to everything’ might beat ‘ownership of a limited amount’ hands down, and for obvious reasons."

That really sums up what streaming is all about and its greatest benefit.
 

DocG

Well-known member
May 1, 2012
54
2
18,545
Drawback is that an internet connection problem leaves you with nothing, unless you saved some playlists for off-line use.
 

relocated

New member
Jan 20, 2012
74
0
0
DocG said:
Drawback is that an internet connection problem leaves you with nothing, unless you saved some playlists for off-line use.
+1, also many people do not have decent internet access to enable them to be included in modern connectivity. Then there are those whose access has limited download limits with excessive charges for going over limit. In such a tiny first world country the divide in internet access is a national disgrace.
 

fr0g

New member
Jan 7, 2008
445
0
0
A bit of both seems perfect.

Listening to Spotify right now, but I will always have my own copy of lots of stuff.
 
In 3-4 years' time, hopefully internet will become a lot more stable & fast (with the advent of 4G & spread of fibreoptic broadband). When this happens, "access to everything" will take precedence over "ownership of some". Until then, it'll remain a bit of both. Despite the rising popularity of services like Spotify, people will still like to keep some songs in their computer.
 

tino

Well-known member
Sep 29, 2011
135
10
18,595
I use streaming services occasionally but will continue to buy new and secondhand CDs as ownership of certain types of music is important to me as is the ability to make lossless copies for personal use. I won't buy downloads because of the digital rights management issues. Back to streaming ... don't forget radio .. Sometimes it's good to listen to someone else choosing the music ;)
 

NHL

New member
Nov 12, 2009
83
0
0
bigboss said:
In 3-4 years' time, hopefully internet will become a lot more stable & fast (with the advent of 4G & spread of fibreoptic broadband).
Live where that already has happened. Problem is that the 4G have congestion mornings, evenings/nights and weekends when people are home from the job.
 

the_dude2

New member
Aug 25, 2007
12
0
0
I'm not sure i have the time to listen to everything. I better start now!!

Despite that facetiousness i like the seintiment anyway.
 

Fuzzy Bear

New member
Jan 19, 2009
29
0
0
It's quite inevitable, which doens't bother me, but,

What will/is be frustrating is needing numerous subscriptions because companies have only secured certain rights deals with record labels.
 

rendu

New member
Sep 10, 2008
192
0
0
I have been thinking about joining one of these already since some time ago, but I can not decide where to spend the 9Eur/month. Which one is better and why? Spotify vs Rdio vs qriocity?

I would like to be able to use it in my AV as well as my tablet and mobile phone. In the case of my AV it would have to be through my PS3 since it is the only device which as wi-fi.

Thanks.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Fuzzy Bear said:
It's quite inevitable, which doens't bother me, but,

What will/is be frustrating is needing numerous subscriptions because companies have only secured certain rights deals with record labels.
I agree. While Maggie said competition was good for business, this is one of those things where we really need one or two service providers to be clear front-runners so that it becomes a no-brainer for artists and record-labels to use them.

I'd also be in favour of non-subscribers only having access to a severely-restricted library of music. This may encourage more labels and artists to join-up, and would encourage some non-subscribers to join. Of course they'll loose 'some' customers, but imo leeches who take but will not give are no great loss and I'm happy to see them go, even if only to release some bandwidth for us subscribers.
 

shooter

New member
May 4, 2008
210
0
0
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/aug/17/major-labels-spotify

http://tapeop.com/blog/2012/08/11/why-and-how-spotify-managed-get-such-low-royalty-r/
 

Paul.

Well-known member
Nov 26, 2010
745
55
18,970
shooter said:
http://tapeop.com/blog/2012/08/11/why-and-how-spotify-managed-get-such-low-royalty-r/
This neatly sums up most of my feelings on the subject. Was thinking of writing something up yesterday about all you can eat streaming services but didn't want to start an argument :)
 

Rethep

Well-known member
May 2, 2011
15
0
18,520
Ownership of some.

I own about 5000 "songs" and already have no time enough to listen to all. Furthermore i am very critical in what i like so i don't need acces to everything. I buy songs from iTunes which quality is enough for me. Never liked buying cd's of which i don't like almost half of the songs.
 

Overdose

Well-known member
Feb 8, 2008
279
1
18,890
Rethep said:
Ownership of some.

I own about 5000 "songs" and already have no time enough to listen to all. Furthermore i am very critical in what i like so i don't need acces to everything. I buy songs from iTunes which quality is enough for me. Never liked buying cd's of which i don't like almost half of the songs.
The irony.

I guess the CD player in your sig doesn't get much of a look in these days then? ;)
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
But you never 'buy' the music anyway. You only buy the 'right' to play it privately via the medium you bought it on, be that record, CD or download.

As for the artists getting shafted by their labels because of the deals the labels have struck-up with streaming services, well that's a very poor show indeed, but I don't feel morally obliged to personally give it any consideration. It's something the artists need to raise with their labels and it isn't my concern. I don't go up the counter in HMV and say "this CD here...can you tell how much of my £9.99 goes the the artist? If it's not enough then I won't buy it".
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
shooter said:
Not interested in 160 - 320 kbps.

Buy a CD there cheap enough...
I agree witrh that £10000's spent on kit to feed it heavily compressed source material that is crazy - the mp3 should be for portable players only

- until its all streamed at full bit rate wav / flac level then it wont fully compete be a viable option for the critical listener

LAN streaming is the way forward - Sonos, Sooloos, or home made using Jriver / Jplay are all very good options
 

Overdose

Well-known member
Feb 8, 2008
279
1
18,890
ellisdj said:
I agree witrh that £10000's spent on kit to feed it heavily compressed source material that is crazy - the mp3 should be for portable players only

- until its all streamed at full bit rate wav / flac level then it wont fully compete be a viable option for the critical listener

LAN streaming is the way forward - Sonos, Sooloos, or home made using Jriver / Jplay are all very good options
Compressed music won't be for everyone, but it is fine for the majority, who think it sounds fine also, current trends towards high resolution downloads will be a niche eventually, as the prices are too high and lower bit rates are largely indistinguishable from the much more expensive offerings. Personally, if I'm buying music, then I prefer the full fat edition, which I'll slim down to appropriate proprtions when I'm good and ready.

I think that streaming has a long way to go to be the ideal solution, but it might well eventually get there, if for no other reason than the labels finally having much more control over pricing once again, by reducing piracy. It's a bit difficult to rip a stream.

What is a critical listener anyway? Sounds like a person that has sit down sessions to pick at any minor, or not so, imperfections in the music or its reproduction, not my idea of fun. I prefer to just enjoy the music for what it is and not think about the equipment it's coming from.
 

Rethep

Well-known member
May 2, 2011
15
0
18,520
Overdose said:
Rethep said:
Ownership of some.

I own about 5000 "songs" and already have no time enough to listen to all. Furthermore i am very critical in what i like so i don't need acces to everything. I buy songs from iTunes which quality is enough for me. Never liked buying cd's of which i don't like almost half of the songs.
The irony.

I guess the CD player in your sig doesn't get much of a look in these days then? ;)
Absolutely wright! Not even connected. It is for sale!
 

Covenanter

Well-known member
Jul 20, 2012
66
3
18,545
ellisdj said:
LAN streaming is the way forward -
Maybe for now but I remember my dad's shellac 78 collection, all labelled and numbered in a large cabinet, then my own collection of vinyl 45s and LPs (hundreds of them) and my current collection of CDs (again hundreds of them) so I wouldn't bet against some new technology that we can't imagine coming along and replacing whatever is the current flavour of the month. I once had a boss who was a bit of a prophet when it came to technology and his line was "You ain't seen nothing yet" and he was right then and I think it's true now too.

Chris
 

airliebird

New member
Aug 19, 2008
17
0
0
I stream through spotify, I use it all the time to find new artists and music I have never listened to. The only thing is that I dont have an attachment to the songs Im listening to because its strange but I dont feel that the music is mine, cannot explain it it just does not feel right. My main source of listening is vinyl and have bought many albums because of discovering them first on spotify though, may be I am just used to having the record there infront of me reading the sleeve notes and such is a part of the whole pleasure of listening to music.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts