above 20 KHz?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi people. First of all, sorry about my English and I
hope I wont bother you too much. I purchased a pair of M 34i a month ago and the speakers performe really great , still one thing is keep troubling me - jits frequency response 44-
20 KHz. I have reviewed several other speakers manufactured by other companies
and I have noticed that frequency response usually exedes well above 20
KHz...It goes up to 30,40 KHz...Not to mention the headphones which goes down to only 10 HZ..The question is, does it really matter? if it does, how much it matters and in a
what way? Does it really effect listening expirience? Could this be considered as a weakness of the speakers with the simillar frequency response? for exemple it is proven that humans can sense the
frequences above 20 KHz over tactile...besides that, my Yamaha stereo
recever has the range 10-100 KHz..

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Cd is cut off at 20 anyway so if your front end is cd only its not a problem.If you use a turntable then records do produce much higher freq and even if you cant hear a note above 20 khz there is info in those signals that does alter tibre ect in the notes you can hear.So would say its not extended enough.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Cd is cut off at that point so if you only use cd its not a problem.A record on the other hand extends much above this and even if you cant hear notes that high the harmonics in those upper freq do affect the notes you can hear.

A

Anonymous

thanks John, I got it. So you would recommend speakers with wider range than 20-20K?

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Some speakers even use super tweeters as they add more air but if cd is your front end then no musical output is produced above 20.If you have a vinyl front end then yes i would prefer a more extended top end.Some brands like wadia and pioneer with the legato link cd players do use some kind of tech to guess whats missing above 20 so some cd players do produce signals higher but most other cd players don't.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't swap the speakers if you are happy with the sound they make just because some other speaker theoretically goes higher.I think the quality of the tweeter is more important than the limit.

A

Anonymous

you got the point, John. Thanks. I had no that much opportunity to hear other speakers than Mission or Yamaha, so I keep asking myself if the m34 is good enough. the range was one of the issue. Thanks man.

A

Anonymous

yes, these are the ones I got. what does it mean: In-room frequencies bandwidth 40-28 KHz at -6dB? on the back of the cabinet say 44-20KHz. whats the deference? sorry for bothering you

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
While there is ongoing debate about the issue of human hearing above 20kHz there is another point to consider -

Many modern tweeters extend beyond 30, 40 or even 50kHz - this pushes their break-up points ever higher so, in theory, they will be far more stable at the frequencies you can hear than a tweeter which is out of steam at 20kHz.

You should hear less distortion and a smoother sound in a tweeter which has a higher break-up point, bearing in mind there are other factors such as crossover to consider.

Low frequency roll-off is another matter altogether, the room in which the speaker is used and its proximity to boundaries will have a large bearing on the bass response - so this is, in reality, a very hard figure to measure or quote with any accuracy in a "real world" environment.

ÿ

As with all Hi-Fi - You're usually best off using your ears than worrying too much about measurements - The room has as large a bearing on sound as any component does in any case! Just use gear that makes a sound you enjoy!!ÿ

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
babajaglika:yes, these are the ones I got. what does it mean: In-room frequencies bandwidth 40-28 KHz at -6dB? on the back of the cabinet say 44-20KHz. whats the deference? sorry for bothering you
They will measure flat to 20 but will still output upto 28 with the output rolling off.They are fine dont worry.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I doubt you can hear much over 20Khz anyway - I've used a frequency generator to work out mine - the maximum was 18200Khz and the minimum was 14Hz (below that you just felt the notes).

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Most adults over 40 cant hear above 20 but in those upper ranges are harmonics that alter the music you can hear.This is why some including me believe records sound more natural than cd that cuts off sharp at 20.A musical note if you could see it is like ripples in a pond and a soprano for instance will have harmonics going way past normal hearing but those harmonics give the voice its natural texture timbre and colour.When you cut them off even though you cant hear them it will alter what you can hear.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Im 50 and can just about hear 20.The upper harmonics above this point though do alter the sounds of the music lower down and when they set the cd standard they made a mistake with the upper cut off limit imo.Dvd sacd and dvda have much wider bandwidth than cd.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:

john dolan: Im 50 and can just about hear 20.

Just out of idle curiousity, how do you know?

Some site on the net had test tones so you can see how high and low you can hear.Was a couple of years ago now so maybe my ears cant match that today.I also have a test cd with these kind of tests on that i use sometimes when setting up a system.

A

Anonymous

john dolan:the_lhc:

john dolan: Im 50 and can just about hear 20.

Just out of idle curiousity, how do you know?

Some site on the net had test tones so you can see how high and low you can hear.Was a couple of years ago now so maybe my ears cant match that today.I also have a test cd with these kind of tests on that i use sometimes when setting up a system.

Just used this one: I could hear the 17Khz one easily, the 18Khz one was noticeable but the volume needed a slight boost (that may be the headphones I am using or the amp), I could also hear the 19Khz one but it needed turning up quite a bit. The 20Khz one was just, just noticable, but really needed alot of amplification to be decernable. Different results to my last test!

I also noticed two things: One, the 1Khz note is the note the BBC use on their broadcasts to show the hour (I do have perfect pitch!
emotion-2.gif
) and listening to the high-pitched sounds is quite aurally stimulating - it sends a nice vibration in my ear which tickles it! Probably because one does not hear that frequency at that volume very often!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not sure how that works really if altering the volume - also think depends on how good whatever you are listening through - my laptop speakers have very poor low end as expected and my earphones that i used are fine but could quiet easily hear the 20khz with no problem even on lowest volume setting and i think my hearing is shot as i really struggle to hear ppl in semi noisy environments and follow conversations especially if back ground music on

A

Anonymous

so, one can determine the age of a human by testing its hearing capability
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts