About to change to virgin, can you answer me a question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I signed up for the 60mb broadband, and I know virgin cap or traffic shape.

But lets say if I download too much, will the 60mb go to 30mb ? or will they throttle me way below 30mb?

Say I download 20gb worth of files, what happens to my speed, is it only cut in half ?

I looked at the chart on the website, but dont understand it.

Thanks so much.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
They used to cut the speed to 4gb ... but you were okay to download before 12 noon and after 10pm.

It is still these times for me it seems.

''Say I download 20gb worth of files'' :? Quite a lot. :O

A

Anonymous

In one section it says if I download more than 10gb I will be throttled 50% which would be 30mb from 60mb, which I am fine with, but if you look down, it say something about standard us which mentions 75%

I just want to know were I stand before entering into a 18month contract.

So if I download say 30gb, which wont happen, but if it does, will my 60mb go to 30 or lower ?

I remember when I was with them years ago, my 10mb BB went from 10mb to 200kbs, which is why I left.

A

Anonymous

So they cut your speed to 4mb? what speed are you on?

I wont be happy going from 60mb to 4mb download, as I am on constant 13mb with sky no matter what I do.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I don't know about the exact figures, but I have noticed Virgin applying more stringent traffic management on my 30Mb broadband service in recent weeks. I now often get around 5Mb download speed at peak times in the evening (typically 8-9pm) when everything slows down considerably. Used to be much better. I'm hoping the free upgrade to 60Mb in June will help improve things.

PS: Just ran a broadband speed check and got 7Mb.

A

Anonymous

Wow that is terrible Andy, you pay for 30mb BB and you get 5mb.

So if they are offering me 60mb, maybe I will get 10.. LOL

I see virign have not changed then, but then again I am tempted by the 1tb tivo and extra hd box in my bedroom for 60.00 per month with unlimted calls, seems a better deal that what sky are giving me and a little cheaper as well.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I've just got a 60 mb box from virgin - I tested the speed last night on about 5 different speet test websites - average was around 12mb. I will definitely have gone over 10 gig this month though....

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
canada16 said:
I see virign have not changed then, but then again I am tempted by the 1tb tivo and extra hd box in my bedroom for 60.00 per month with unlimted calls, seems a better deal that what sky are giving me and a little cheaper as well.

Does that include line rental???

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I checked mine just now since I have recently moved up to 100mb speed. Wireless i get 25mb & Hard wired 94mb speed. Therefore when you are testing your speeds are you doing it hard wired or wireless?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Another tip with Virgin is to restart the modem & the router, quite often it speeds it up. I did it this afternoon, i was downloading an update on the ps3 the download time changed from 36 minutes to 2 minutes.

A

Anonymous

Well pulled the trigger and got this pack:

Premier vip everything without movies or sports.

1tb tivo box

hd box in the bedroom

1000 min any number any time inc. mobiles

60mb BB, and if I get less than 30mb I wont be happy.

Spotify premium for 3 months free.

44.00 for the first 6 months, then 67.00 there after, inc line rental.

When I told sky they were like... But But But, but 2012, they have no fiber optic in a main area in cardiff, so bye bye.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
f1only said:
Another tip with Virgin is to restart the modem & the router, quite often it speeds it up. I did it this afternoon, i was downloading an update on the ps3 the download time changed from 36 minutes to 2 minutes.

Yup, have done that a few times myself and it does seem to help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts