About the new forum

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I actually think it's a bit long for the latest posts page (the forum landing page is fine), but I'm not going to change it till I tune the cacheing mechanism a bit more.

Whatever you feel is best, Mr D, whatever you feel is best...

A

Anonymous

My account doesn't seem to recognise my password so I changed it but it still does not work?

I have to do the temp log in thing everytime! Help please.

A

Anonymous

My account didn't seem to recognise my password so I changed it but it still didn't work with medium security. It requires 'high' - is it worth telling new members? Cheers. :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas said:
My account didn't seem to recognise my password so I changed it but it still didn't work with medium security. It requires 'high' - is it worth telling new members? Cheers. :)

Have to say it's not a problem I'm aware of anyone else reporting.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
rob998 said:
Thanks for the replies, Andrew & Clare, I'm using IE9, would that be the cause? I'll installe Chrome & Firefox to see if that help, although I'm one of the luddite minority that likes IE.......

Ok, the site works better with Chrome than IE9, I can do the point click type thing now, my sig has saved and when I hit the save button it works immediately, so I guess the new site isn't very compatible with IE9.....

John Duncan

Graham_Thomas said:

Just to clarify - it tells you that your password isn't very secure, but doesn't prevent you from using it.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough John. I've had the beta test & then the release candidate running for so long that I'd forgotten that it wasn't officially released yet. I'll stop bleating now!
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

What has happened to the site, is it finished yet? i like whathifi a lot but am not impressed with the layout in the slightest and its putting me off that much i don't want to come on here. Am sorry to be so frank but i used to do graphic design and websites and this looks like its gone pear or re-designed after a night on the town.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Doesn't seem as good, someone earlier on in the post said something along the lines of THIS being either the 'best' or 'one of the best' forums.... I'm in agreement ... this format seems too busy, the text is too small and light AND the width seems too elongated .....
smiley-yell.gif

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, it is mentioned some pages back that the site is currently a beta, or test, version of the site, and that lots of fine tuning still has to take place. I think the admin team are doing well, developing a site whilst keeping it active so that we can at least still use it. Some fora actually shut down for a couple of days whilst upgrading their software & still have lots of work to do when they go live. I'm sure the site will be looking good & functioning smoothly soon.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Indeed...

After all, we use these Forums more than anyone else, so have a massive incentive to improve things!

But as mentioned,, we took the decision to relaunch with Forum in beta state rather than no Forum at all...

John Duncan

And tbh, even I don't find it *that* bad on the eyes. We've agreed most of the layout changes to be made, though, and they'll be in over the next few days (though not this weekend, since I can't get our infrastructure people to do releases, no matter how mch I might want to).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
And tbh, even I don't find it *that* bad on the eyes.

Given that I spend more time here than most, I have to say that I have read many of the posts on this thread with growing disbelief. Yes, there are one or two minor tweaks to be done, but they're basically cosmetic, and I think there's been a huge amount of 'oh, they've changed something' over-reaction: I don't see the big deal in most of the problems many here seem to be suggesting are make or break.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And meanwhile the functionality improvements continue to impress me.

The fact that I'm easily typing this from my iPhone is great, and I am loving the 'new posts' flag at the top of a thread - instantly takes me to the heart of the action!

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
And meanwhile the functionality improvements continue to impress me.
Hear, hear. I love it guys. Using it on Safari and Firefox, occasionally via an iPod Touch. Nothing but improvements in my opinion. As for emoticons, I never use them, having left my teenage years behind me long ago. As far as I am concerned the only improvement necessary now is some sort of auto-correct to immediately remove CD's and replace it with CDs, Blue Ray for Blu-Ray, definately for definitely etc, etc. I feel my blood pressure increase every time someone talks about an iTouch - come on, you need only copy what is written on the back of the damn thing!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts