About the new forum

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
the_Lhc said:
NOT THAT IT MATTERS ANYWAY!!! FCOL...

Oh I think that you'll find that it did...

Why? What earthly reason could there be for anyone to care about EXACTLY the number of posts they've written. I mean, take me, I've probably posted more than 90-95% of people here, I'm a total geek, a borderline dork, arguably a little obsessive-compulsive, I have nothing to entertain me and I'm desperately lonely but *I* don't care how many posts I've made, I couldn't have told you to within 25% how many I'd made before people made such a song and dance about it, so why does it matter to ANYBODY?

I mean it's not like anyone's making money out of their post count or anything. Or winning prizes for it (definitely not the latter!), so what does it matter?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oh, I don't suppose the new forum software makes it any easier to change my username to "The Lhc" does it? Just so it looks like an "L" and not an "I" (which it doesn't anyway but still doesn't stop some people...).

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Oh, I don't suppose the new forum software makes it any easier to change my username to "The Lhc" does it? Just so it looks like an "L" and not an "I" (which it doesn't anyway but still doesn't stop some people...).

And as if by magic, there was the "L"...... :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
laserman16 said:
The_Lhc said:

And as if by magic, there was the "L"...... :)

Oh, thank the Duncan for that!

Ooh, AND I've kept all my posts...

scene

Can't remember if I posted this already (it was late), but here goes...

The new "Disable rich-text" option is great, as it allows me to use my iPad in raw html mode and still use my work PC - so thanks for that JD et al :cool:

But... When using the raw html and using the "Preview" button - just to check my lousy html (links, etc. :x ), the site resets the entry to rich text and changes the formatting a bit - to match its interpreted version of the html, I'm guessing. Slightly :angry: about this, as if my code is wrong, I have to unpick what the site thinks I've meant to type...

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Quite simply the old site was almost unworkable - the CMS was, we're sure, possessed :O

We were extremely limited in what/how we could post, and the site took forever to refresh and upload new content.

Now we can post more content, more easily - for example larger (and multiple) pictures in news stories and blogs.

Each video now has its own URL, which makes it simple for us (and you) to link to when needed. The vidoes - and the site itself - can now become more mobile-device friendly, too.

It's also far easier for us to administer the Forum, and we can add sub-forums more easily, too (more on that to follow...)

And most importantly of all, the new platform will allow us to do so many of the tweaks and plans we've had on the back-burner for some time.

You may have already noticed we now have both Awards and Competitions tabs on the top Nav bar: tiny changes but ones that were near-impossible previously.

I'm not promising loads of developments straight away, but at least we now have the platform from which we can develop all sorts of exciting things... 8)

Thanks Clare, thats interesting.

Ive just logged in again now, and youve done something (not quite sure what). But it looks a little more like it did before!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, doing some tweaks on the Forums as we go along.

And just to add to what Clare's already said, the new CMS is far quicker to respond at our end and a darn sight easier to use, so we can update news, reviews, blogs etc much more quickly. Uploading videos, for example, takes just a minute or two (it used to take forever), and any changes we make on the fly are updated the instant we publish them. Should make me less grumpy, at least
smiley-laughing.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
PJPro said:
I seem to have lost about 80 or so posts from my total.

It might be that the new site is ignoring posts which were subsequently deleted by a moderator, as I seem to remember having a fair few deleted which didn't affect my total at the time. Just a thought.

There were two issues here - 1) I forgot to refresh everybody's post counts when I did the final forum import and 2) yes, the old forum counted deleted posts, the new one doesn't.

I've just refreshed everybody's post counts so they should all be correct going forward.

I'm not grumbling, I'm reporting an issue which might point to other issues. As a softie, you should know that.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PJPro said:
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
PJPro said:

It might be that the new site is ignoring posts which were subsequently deleted by a moderator, as I seem to remember having a fair few deleted which didn't affect my total at the time. Just a thought.

There were two issues here - 1) I forgot to refresh everybody's post counts when I did the final forum import and 2) yes, the old forum counted deleted posts, the new one doesn't.

I've just refreshed everybody's post counts so they should all be correct going forward.

I'm not grumbling, I'm reporting an issue which might point to other issues.

You're the only one then.

As a softie, you should know that.

I'm not a softie.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
PJPro said:
The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
PJPro said:

I'm not grumbling, I'm reporting an issue which might point to other issues.

You're the only one then.

As a softie, you should know that.

I'm not a softie.

Er, whats a softie?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
quick comment on the new site - on the "log-in" page, can you please make it very clear that passwords are case-sensitive? I had my caps lock on by accident and it wasn't letting me in! ta.

TRENDING THREADS