About the new forum

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Well having read 10 pages of almost constant whinging. All i can say is folks hate change but they will still be posting, and whinging,lol. Give it a week or two chaps and chapettes and im sure the clever pooter peeps on here will sort out the glitches. Blimey it cant be easy to set up something like this, i wouldnt have a flippin clue. Ah and the fair few posts on the font being too small. Erm dont you have 'View' up on the top left of your pooter screen. Click it and click zoom in., amazingly it makes the words BIGGER and easier to see.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
One of the better posts on this thread. It is after all a beta release and considering how long the site was not down for I think its gone very well.

And the powers that be are acknowledging that there are tweaks that need to be done.

So give them a bit of space.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Well having read 10 pages of almost constant whinging. All i can say is folks hate change but they will still be posting, and whinging,lol. Give it a week or two chaps and chapettes and im sure the clever pooter peeps on here will sort out the glitches. Blimey it cant be easy to set up something like this, i wouldnt have a flippin clue. Ah and the fair few posts on the font being too small. Erm dont you have 'View' up on the top left of your pooter screen. Click it and click zoom in., amazingly it makes the words BIGGER and easier to see.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

One of the better posts on this thread. It is after all a beta release and considering how long the site was not down for I think its gone very well.

And the powers that be are acknowledging that there are tweaks that need to be done.

So give them a bit of space.

Much better if I click "quote" rather than "reply" .doh.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been one of the whingers, but I'm slowly getting more used to the layout...miss the indicator on the posting showing how many minutes/hours ago it was posted tho...have to look at the clock to cross check to see how long ago last post was ? Not a huge issue obviously, but one I personally miss from previous setup.

Also, I use my TV as my PC monitor alot while sitting in my lounge etc, and this tiny font is rediculously small to see at distance, and I know it can be enlarged but then when you go back to forum pages you have to switch back constantly. awkward !!

And, when you finally try to launch your post, how do you know it's actually gone ? I have alreday sent one twice ? That definately needs tidying and clarifying somehow. Just a few suggestions, not criticisms, and well done keeping it active etc

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Phew, that was a shock yesterday evening!

Looks clean and a lot more modern, although IMHO just a bit too much red text and red icons on some pages. Only thing that I find a bit 'worse' is that the last post column on the main page seems a little too narrow and you don't really get any idea of what the last post was. Could just be my imagination.

To JD, a pretty damn fine 'beta' effort, that looks nice and clean and does seem to be far more sprightly than before on Safari on all my macs. Looking forward to posting from the train on my iphone next and to all the upcoming tweeks !

Great job.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks John and Andrew but still problems here, can someone please check out my account settings and email me at [EDITED BY MODS - got it]?

Much appreciated.

John Duncan

Red Dragon said:
Also, I use my TV as my PC monitor alot while sitting in my lounge etc, and this tiny font is rediculously small to see at distance, and I know it can be enlarged but then when you go back to forum pages you have to switch back constantly. awkward !!

Do you mean the text size when you reply or quote? Should be a bit better now (along with making the rich text editor buttons a bit cleaner).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted in the 1st 10 pages, but im not in the frame of mind to read them all

Would it not be better to keep the 'sub' forums within the main forums? If not you may as well may all sub forums as main forums anyways as theyre all there in the main forum search (so I have to scroll past maybe 10 sub forums to get to (for example) this part of the forum)

John Duncan

gregory said:
sorry john but what was broken.

OK the site itself wasn't really broken, but it was incredibly difficult and expensive to maintain and host. The new content management system means that we can make changes more quickly and efficiently, and the move from a dedicated Windows environment to an Amazon cloud-hosted Unix/MySQL stack will reduce hosting costs enormously.

John Duncan

aliEnRIK said:
Sorry if this has been posted in the 1st 10 pages, but im not in the frame of mind to read them all

Would it not be better to keep the 'sub' forums within the main forums? If not you may as well may all sub forums as main forums anyways as theyre all there in the main forum search (so I have to scroll past maybe 10 sub forums to get to (for example) this part of the forum)

That's rolled up in the point

Forum - formatting for subforums (eg Headphones and turntables in hifi)

in the "known issues" thread.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
aliEnRIK said:

That's rolled up in the point

Forum - formatting for subforums (eg Headphones and turntables in hifi)

in the "known issues" thread.

cheers John

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
And meanwhile the functionality improvements continue to impress me. The fact that I'm easily typing this from my iPhone is great, and I am loving the 'new posts' flag at the top of a thread - instantly takes me to the heart of the action!

Hi Clare & all.

Have not been on the forum for a while (mainly due to having gone back to a job where I have to go to an office rather than work at home
smiley-smile.gif
). Obviously youve changed it to a new platform, and I guess you expected a certain level of people moaning because it looks slightly different etc! I actually think its a pretty impressive job to have got this live (albeit in beta) with so little problems.

I would be interested to know what the major improvements are from WHF point of view - I know JD mentioned youre moving away from MS platform which has to be a money saver, but what are the main improvements from a user point of view?

Well done all!

James.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I seem to have lost about 80 or so posts from my total.

It might be that the new site is ignoring posts which were subsequently deleted by a moderator, as I seem to remember having a fair few deleted which didn't affect my total at the time. Just a thought.

John Duncan

PJPro said:

It might be that the new site is ignoring posts which were subsequently deleted by a moderator, as I seem to remember having a fair few deleted which didn't affect my total at the time. Just a thought.

There were two issues here - 1) I forgot to refresh everybody's post counts when I did the final forum import and 2) yes, the old forum counted deleted posts, the new one doesn't.

I've just refreshed everybody's post counts so they should all be correct going forward.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
PJPro said:

There were two issues here - 1) I forgot to refresh everybody's post counts when I did the final forum import and 2) yes, the old forum counted deleted posts, the new one doesn't.

I've just refreshed everybody's post counts so they should all be correct going forward.

NOT THAT IT MATTERS ANYWAY!!! FCOL...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Quite simply the old site was almost unworkable - the CMS was, we're sure, possessed :O

We were extremely limited in what/how we could post, and the site took forever to refresh and upload new content.

Now we can post more content, more easily - for example larger (and multiple) pictures in news stories and blogs.

Each video now has its own URL, which makes it simple for us (and you) to link to when needed. The vidoes - and the site itself - can now become more mobile-device friendly, too.

It's also far easier for us to administer the Forum, and we can add sub-forums more easily, too (more on that to follow...)

And most importantly of all, the new platform will allow us to do so many of the tweaks and plans we've had on the back-burner for some time.

You may have already noticed we now have both Awards and Competitions tabs on the top Nav bar: tiny changes but ones that were near-impossible previously.

I'm not promising loads of developments straight away, but at least we now have the platform from which we can develop all sorts of exciting things... 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts