About the new forum

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Even in the last version of the site, it took a short while for new posts, deleted posts and the like to feed through to the 'latest posts' listing.

Yes but that could be measured in seconds, this is more like minutes sometimes it seems.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Based on extensive usage, I don't think it's appreciably slower, but will add it to JD's ever-growing list. Somehow I don't think it'll chart in the Top Ten at the moment...

EDIT: I make that just over a minute.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
The white background is exactly the same as the white background on the old site, and yes I have tried the site on four different browsers on the iPad, and it seems fine to me.

I am sure you are right Andrew, but the fact remains it is a lot brighter than it was before. It was the first thing I noticed after the switch over..

A

Anonymous

Wow this is a shocker, it,s like crashing your pc and then booting up on safe mode, looks kind of strange to me, i hope i get used to it. Lost my sig though.

A

Anonymous

Don,t think it is brighter, lots of thick borders have been removed giving more white space making your eyes think it is brighter.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'll repeat once again - maybe bigger font will help.
Will people please stop saying 'I hope I get used to it' - this is a beta Forum; we have lots of design and functionality tweaks to make before it's finished.
We welcome all feedback, of course, and apologies once more for the upheaval while we adjust to a totally different software environment :)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
brittondave said:
but the fact remains it is a lot brighter than it was before

No, the fact remains that colour, brightness and everything are exactly the same.

well in that case i'm off to the optician :glasses:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
johnnyjazz said:
Don,t think it is brighter, lots of thick borders have been removed giving more white space making your eyes think it is brighter.

Nah, it's because we plugged our new server into a mains filter ;)

But seriously - design (including white space overload) is something we're looking at as part of the ongoing site development now we've switched to the new platform/Forum software

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i agree on the perceived brightness.

i dont know why, as Andrew said it's the same white background as before? maybe there's less other stuff going on on the screen than before to block the whiteness a bit or to box of the screen a tad?

I noticed instantly. being dyslexic reading black text on white is difficult, i have a program which adds a colour over the screen though, which i have had to start using with the site now.

when i lift both hands in front of my face so that they cover both sides of the screen, it becomes much easyer... maybe making the area on the left and right hand sides, the bits outside of the grey box, a darker colour/shade would make it easier to read what's in the centre of the screen. just an idea

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz said:

that could well be the reason

A

Anonymous

basshead said:
i agree on the perceived brightness.

i dont know why, as Andrew said it's the same white background as before? maybe there's less other stuff going on on the screen than before to block the whiteness a bit or to box of the screen a tad?

I noticed instantly. being dyslexic reading black text on white is difficult, i have a program which adds a colour over the screen though, which i have had to start using with the site now.

when i lift both hands in front of my face so that they cover both sides of the screen, it becomes much easyer... maybe making the area on the left and right hand sides, the bits outside of the grey box, a darker colour/shade would make it easier to read what's in the centre of the screen. just an idea

yes indeed, shading would be fantastic

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
brittondave said:
yes indeed, shading would be fantastic

Well, short of changing the HDMI cable between your computer and monitor, turning down the contrast and brightness on the screen may help for the moment if it's really troubling you.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
i appreciate that this is a Beta version, but bugs that affect me are: When I want to correct something whilst typing a post, i can't just move my cursor to the offending word, click 7 re-type, I have to use my arrow buttons to move back, which annoying in the extreme. My Sig has disappeared, and despite re-inputting it, it has not re-appeared, also I hate the "save" button rather than one that says "Submit" or "post".

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rob998 said:
i appreciate that this is a Beta version, but bugs that affect me are: When I want to correct something whilst typing a post, i can't just move my cursor to the offending word, click 7 re-type, I have to use my arrow buttons to move back, which annoying in the extreme.

That may be browser or device-specific: point-click-retype works fine for me on various browsers.

EDIT: And to prove it, I've just gone back and inserted that 'e' I left out of 'fine' the first time round.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
rob998 said:
also I hate the "save" button rather than one that says "Submit" or "post".
We agree - it's on the change list...

PS - I also don't have problem going back to edit within a post; i'm using Firefox, if that helps. But will investigate....

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
And when I hit the save button, I get an error message that says something like " Comment field must be filled" even though I have, and when I hit the "back" button on my browser my musings are all there, intact, and when I hit "save" again it seems to then work.

Don't like the edit facility being disabled after another member has posted between me noticing a mistake & then trying to correct my post. I daresay there are some juvenile members who write idiotic things to provoke a response & then edit their original post to seem innoccuous, but it is annoying in the extreme if you just want to correct a spelling mistake or add some info that you'd forgot to put in your original post.....

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, Andrew & Clare, I'm using IE9, would that be the cause? I'll installe Chrome & Firefox to see if that help, although I'm one of the luddite minority that likes IE.......

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Is it me, or is the new/beta site more Mac/OS X/Safari-friendly? :)

Looking forward to seeing the previous gallery/range of emoticons return...

Well we've moved from a Microsoft-based system to an open-source one
smiley-wink.gif

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
John Duncan said:
It's two minutes...

Which is perfectly adequate: have to admit I was timing it by looking at the 'pooter clock, not actually with a stopwatch or nuffink...

I actually think it's a bit long for the latest posts page (the forum landing page is fine), but I'm not going to change it till I tune the cacheing mechanism a bit more.

TRENDING THREADS