A Headphone amp to use with my Squeezebox Duet?

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all.

I would like to be able to use my Squeezebox Duet with headphones. I cannot use any existing amp

as they are built into my speakers. it has a coax digi output, and optical and R L phono. please see pic.

is there any basic heaphone amp that I can use for about £50.00. it doesnt need a DAC, as there is a wolfson in the duet. I dont mean to use the jack on the controller this is in Beta and doesnt work too well if at all.

5797.1.0.jpg

Messiah

A quick Amazon search digs THIS up.

There is also THIS but this is above budget.

I have recently bought a Beresford 7520 to go with my ADMs (again at even more than your budget) and this gives me more inputs for the speakers and a Headphone Amp.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
you might have found a bit of a steal there messi.

As i came across that first one last night here : http://www.analogueseduction.net/acatalog/index.html?http://www.analogueseduction.net/acatalog/_Headphone_Amplifiers.html&CatalogBody

For £31.30.

I know there are a few around. But I know nothing of headphone amps. some are called pre-amps, some headphone amps. some say must be connected to yoour existing amplifier etc......

So i just want at least to make sure music will play from the back of the squeezebox.

So waht confused me about say . that first one is this description,: Works with any ampifier with a line level input or Aux input

well. Im not going into an amp, and my squeeze doesnt have these. do they mean outputs?

idc

It is odd how it is described. But it calls itself a headphone amplifier, so it must contain amplification and it only needs a signal from a source. Further details describe its use when plugged into a TV. I would say it should work with phono interconnects from Squeezebox to amp. It takes the Squeezebox's signal and amplifies it. Call Analogue Seduction to confirm!

The stuff to do with preamps is that many headphone amps have other facilities, such as they can be used as a preamp for power amplifiers. As to 'must be connected to your existing amplifier', that would suggest the amp cannot be used on its own with a source connected into it. But in that case I do not see how it can call itself an amplifier.

Messiah

It seems fine to me. It has one set of RCA inputs and one set of RCA ouputs so that you can just connect it between Source and Amp. Therefore you can use headphones otherwise it passes the signal through.

It must be able to work on its own without connection to an amp otherwise I do not see how it would work.....

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
excellent guys thanks. i like and trust amazon anyway. so hopefully should be good for occasional use

when the wife is hogging the lounge.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from a trip away and the amp is here.

I got the B-Tech 928 that you found on amazon Messiah. (total inc delivery £22.99)

It works great. RCA out of the Squeezebox receiver and into the amp, it has volume and tone and two jacks one big one small. so no adapters needed.

I already had a decent quality interconnect left over from my old system. SQ wise im no great judge but it definately sounds better than my ipod nano with the same headphones (sennheiser PX100). So I'm very happy with that outcome. I just wanted something cheap and cheerfull after having spent a fair bit on the AVIs and squeeze gear. So now I can lay on the sofa surfing the squeezecentre and internet radio whilst she watches tosh on TV. and when shes not in I can fire up the speakers.

No leads have to be removed or swapped around either which is a bonus as the Squeezebox has 3 types of output.

So once again thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts