A balanced system?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Indeed, I have only just looked at the rear of the X2B and, were I assumed there would be two XLR connectors there is only one mini five pin connection. So can now assume that any deck with this connection and fitted with a Moving Coil cartridge can be mated to one of their balanced phono preamps and their more expensive decks can be made fully balanced if required.
According to Henley the X2B are balanced.

According to Henley the X2B are balanced.

That's my point and, until recently, was the only deck I was aware of.
Apparently I was misinformed.
However a turntable on It's own cannot be balanced, thought that was clear.

Reactions: Oxfordian
That's my point and, until recently, was the only deck I was aware of.
Apparently I was misinformed.
However a turntable on It's own cannot be balanced, thought that was clear.
This goes back to my original point: To add the balanced phono stage to that turntable with my built-in phono stage would be money down the plug hole unless the sound is significantly better.

Oxfordian

Indeed, I have only just looked at the rear of the X2B and, were I assumed there would be two XLR connectors there is only one mini five pin connection. So can now assume that any deck with this connection and fitted with a Moving Coil cartridge can be mated to one of their balanced phono preamps and their more expensive decks can be made fully balanced if required.
Reading as much info as I can my perception is exactly as you say, buy a TT with the potential to have a balanced output, buy the requisite 5 pin to XLR cable, buy a balanced phono stage, Project have;

Phono Box S3B - Entry Level balanced phono stage - mini XLR TT to Amp
Phono Box DS3B - XLR input and output connections
Phono Box RS - Highend Phono Pre amplifier
Phono Box RS2 - Ultimate phono pre amplifier - reference class

RCA input appears to be available across the range if you don't want the extra expense of buying a dedicated XLR cable, but then why would you buy the phono stage if a balanced set-up isn't on your radar.

Reading as much info as I can my perception is exactly as you say, buy a TT with the potential to have a balanced output, buy the requisite 5 pin to XLR cable, buy a balanced phono stage, Project have;

Phono Box S3B - Entry Level balanced phono stage - mini XLR TT to Amp
Phono Box DS3B - XLR input and output connections
Phono Box RS - Highend Phono Pre amplifier
Phono Box RS2 - Ultimate phono pre amplifier - reference class

RCA input appears to be available across the range if you don't want the extra expense of buying a dedicated XLR cable, but then why would you buy the phono stage if a balanced set-up isn't on your radar.
You would not.
You would have to be convinced that a Moving Coil cartridge is the way to go and that to get the best out of that you need a balanced set-up through to whatever amp you have.
If you are not convinced then simply buy a bog standard turntable and a Moving Magnet cartridge..... Simple as really.

This goes back to my original point: To add the balanced phono stage to that turntable with my built-in phono stage would be money down the plug hole unless the sound is significantly better.
In theory it should be but if you already own certain equipment there is not much point in not using it.
A balanced set-up like this would only benefit someone starting from scratch or one willing to add to what they already have.
If in doubt do not bother with a fully balanced system

Oxfordian

You would not.
You would have to be convinced that a Moving Coil cartridge is the way to go and that to get the best out of that you need a balanced set-up through to whatever amp you have.
If you are not convinced then simply buy a bog standard turntable and a Moving Magnet cartridge..... Simple as really.
Not sure Mr Rega, Mr Linn, Mr Michell or any other TT maker would class their TT’s as bog standard but I get the point.

:ROFLMAO:

Not sure Mr Rega, Mr Linn, Mr Michell or any other TT maker would class their TT’s as bog standard but I get the point.

acknowledged but my point was they haven't seen the point of bringing forth a balanced deck. Heck Rega haven't even worked out a decent earthing mechanism....
And as for Linn they are too busy selling hi priced necessary accessories :)
To my mind none of those mentioned sell a complete turntable system of their own making, which is maybe a good thing.

Gray

Well compared to this 'new-fangled' idea, their TTs are bog standard.

Of course, some of their bog standard will otherwise genuinely sound better, but you can bet some of them will be watching Project's balanced sales with some interest.

Well compared to this 'new-fangled' idea, their TTs are bog standard.

Of course, some of their bog standard will otherwise genuinely sound better, but you can bet some of them will be watching Project's balanced sales with some interest.
they will probably flop as few will either not see the potential benefits or be prepared to spend this sort of money on an analogue front end, as others have already stated in this thread.

Reactions: Gray
A question to @plastic penguin;

You created this thread and full of interesting and useful discussion it has been but what are your thoughts 6 days on?
Still the same as day one. In theory, I can see why Pro-ject have made balanced tables and phono stages but not how of a benefit any of them would have over a very good built-in switchable stage and my Classic.

I've enjoyed everyone's contributions but as @Al ears correctly pointed out the balanced set-up will mainly benefit those who are looking for the first serious upgrade.

Reactions: Oxfordian
I've come into this late in the day, obviously, but what's prompted the original post? Something to do with a balanced system but not quite sure what this relates to....?!
The subject came up on a thread on the Hi-Fi section, and as I didn't want to derail the thread I asked the question on the turntable sub-section. I just wanted to know more about balanced set-up compared to my unbalanced. It's turned into an interesting subject.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts