2x6.35mm Male to 1x6.35mm Female (or 3.5 mm) TRS Cable?

hokey

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I have two headphone amps, one Solid State and one Valve... and a Switch.

I want to plug a single pair of headphones into both amps, then use the Switch to... um... Switch between them. This is mostly for convenience, but I also want to do some A/B testing.

I have tried to find a cable that is 2x6.35mm Male to 1x6.35mm Female (or 3.5 mm) TRS, but the only ones I can find are for Headphone/Microphone into a phone or PC etc.

The issue is that if you try to use the Microphone single-end for a Headphone, it does terrible, evil things to the signal. Or at least the two that I have both do. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Does anyone know of a cable, or other mechanism, that would allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance!

hokey

Headphones (so far)
Drop HD 6xx
Sony WH-H900N
SteelSeries Arctis 1

Schiit (fanboi)
Modi 3+
Magni 3+
Vali 2+ (Genalex Gold Lion)
SYS

Speakers
Some Logitech garbage

hokey

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
What type of switch do you have?
A 2 input, 1 output type?
Presumably it's something with its own sockets?
If so, what are they?
Are you (or someone you know) OK with making your own leads?

Ok so it is:

Schiit Sys
Website Link

Number of inputs: 2 (stereo RCA)
Number of outputs: 1 (stereo RCA)
Input impedance: 10k ohms
Output Impedance: 5k ohms maximum

And I am using the output as the input, and the inputs as outputs.. which the website says is just fine.

Now that you mention it I do actually know a guy that used to be an Electrical Fitter... he might be able to help me out! I am not handy... a friend of mine bought me a drill as a joke birthday gift once, and my wife threw it out in case I tried to actually use it.

Gray

... a friend of mine bought me a drill as a joke birthday gift once, and my wife threw it out in case I tried to actually use it.
:) Maybe steer clear of a soldering iron then.

The Schiit Sys is OK for selecting which of your amps gets the Modi out on their input.
But you want to switch between 2 headphone outputs - in which case you need just a straight switcher like:
(Ignore the single 3 star review which mentions a PSU, the switcher doesn't use one).

With one of these (available in 4 different lengths) plugged into each of your headphone outputs:
No soldering required (y)

Last edited:

hokey

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
OK... I will remove the soldering iron and heat gun from my Amazon Cart.. and cancel the extra fire insurance I just took out ;-)

So... I would just have to switch the SYS and and the Nedis at the same time... I can totally live with that.

Thanks so much for your help, I am very grateful!

:) Maybe steer clear of a soldering iron then.

The Schiit Sys is OK for selecting which of your amps gets the Modi out on their input.
But you want to switch between 2 headphone outputs - in which case you need just a straight switcher like:
(Ignore the single 3 star review which mentions a PSU, the switcher doesn't use one).

With one of these (available in 4 different lengths) plugged into each of your headphone outputs:
No soldering required (y)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

And I am using the output as the input, and the inputs as outputs.. which the website says is just fine.
If you were to find it that it isn't fine, another of those Nedis switchers would certainly work.
(Maybe shop around by the way - just saw them cheaper on Amazon than e-bay).

Up to you, but personally I don't like don't like 3.5mm sockets. If your headphones have the full-sized jack, you might prefer to use another 6.3mm to twin RCA lead connected to the rear output sockets and couple it to your headphone plug with:

Last edited:

hokey

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
That's an elegant solution... much appreciated!

If you were to find it that it isn't fine, another of those Nedis switchers would certainly work.
(Maybe shop around by the way - just saw them cheaper on Amazon than e-bay).

Up to you, but personally I don't like don't like 3.5mm sockets. If your headphones have the full-sized jack, you might prefer to use another 6.3mm to twin RCA lead connected to the rear output sockets and couple it to your headphone plug with:

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts