admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This should spark some intersting conversation. I have a room that's 4m x 3m and have been thinking seriously about purchasing a 5.1 separates system... BUT...would I get just as good a sound in a small room like this from a decent stereo amp and a good pair of stereo speakers (perhaps floorstanders for better bass), hooked up to my Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player?

Saves on cost, wires, allows for better quality components within budget, what are the thoughts on this? As good for movies? No interest in music...

A

Anonymous

OK, I retract my comment about wires, more about keeping the budget down and the quality up!!!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well it won't immerse you in the movie like a proper surround setup does but it'll make movies sound a lot better than coming through TV speakers that's for sure.

If budget is a concern, you can always purchase the stereo setup to start with and gradually add the centre, rear and sub speakers as budget becomes available to get a full 5.1 system.

A

Anonymous

The stereo route is the way that we've gone - connected the dvd player to the Aux input of the stereo amp and use the floorstanders. Ok, I've not tested it extensively yet but it sounds pretty good. Maybe not immersive, but pretty good.

We went this way so that we could see what we needed as opposed to buying it all in one go - if we find we watch more films then we might go for the surround option at some point.

Not sure how to add a sub to my stereo set-up as that might be the next step...

Try it out, especially if you already have a stereo set-up that you're happy with. You can always add to it later.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

Well it won't immerse you in the movie like a proper surround setup does but it'll make movies sound a lot better than coming through TV speakers that's for sure.

If budget is a concern, you can always purchase the stereo setup to start with and gradually add the centre, rear and sub speakers as budget becomes available to get a full 5.1 system.

This is my plan, although my room is a little bigger than yours. I'll drive the front speakers from the pre-out of the AV amp through mystereo amp to avoid a second set of front speakers and minimise space taken up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts