1 sub or 2 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just got a REL R205 to add to my system.

Questions are -

Should I leave my REL Quake in the system and run them both?

Will the fact that the R205 is forward firing and the Quake downward firing be problematic?

Best way to connect them both?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi you need one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218473&DOY=22m3 as for the placement of the subs i would have the forward firing sub at the front facing into the room, and the down firing sub either down the side or towards the back, as subs should be non directional, nor should be heard, they should intergrate with your speakers, however the best advice i can give is play around with postioning, it is a bit heavy going but once you have posioned the subs where you feel you get the best results go with that.

Hope this helps.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Andy,

I will definitely have a play - if it works then great, and if not the Quake can add to a HiFi set up in another room.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Certainly two subs can be better than one. But normally it's considered a good idea to use identical subs.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I use two subs and they seem to be working just fine. The Yamaha takes the lower frequencies while the Mordaunt-Short takes the upper frequencies.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Isn't a bit overkill to have 2 subs unless you've got a massive room?
I've got a REL Q150E in a fair size room and it's on a really low output setting and still Audyssey has it at about -8 level.

A

Anonymous

Maybe so. There's a school of thought though (backed by scientific research that I don't pretend to fully understand) that says that, properly set up, multiple subs can give more even and higher quality bass (as opposed to just more bass).

Plus with the right setup, it's possible to have different signals sent to each sub. The Denon A1HD, for example, can feed up to three subs directly and these can be setup as L, R and LFE. I can't imagine too many people wanting to squeeze three subs into a small room though (although it has certainly crossed my mind).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the feedback guys
emotion-1.gif

I had it in my head that it was a way to reduce any sweet spots, and help eliminate a room node (or mode - never quite sure)

As I have stated earlier - nothing ventured and all that.

If no good then it will add to an Onkyo set up in another room.

Cheers All.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts