£200 second hand speakers

Kung fu dog

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
After reading a couple of posts about various speaker choices in this price area. Like the MA bx2 ,W diamonds , etc. I was just wondering what the same money secondhand gets you. Does the quality of new technology out do the older speakers even though the older speakers where higher price units when they were originally sold. I m in the market for some book shelfs and have been looking at the Dali , tannoys and the ones mentioned above but I ve also seen quad , kef and b&w in this sub £200 secondhand market. What do people think new or secondhand?

Kung fu dog said:
After reading a couple of posts about various speaker choices in this price area. Like the MA bx2 ,W diamonds , etc. I was just wondering what the same money secondhand gets you. Does the quality of new technology out do the older speakers even though the older speakers where higher price units when they were originally sold. I m in the market for some book shelfs and have been looking at the Dali , tannoys and the ones mentioned above but I ve also seen quad , kef and b&w in this sub £200 secondhand market. What do people think new or secondhand?

In the majority of cases you cannot audition second-hand gear. You don't normally get a choice of colour / veneer, you don't know how much abuse they have taken. However, if you buy fairly recent editions then you should be fairly safe. Commonly you should expect to get speakers that originally cost about twice your budget if you stick to the fairly modern scenario and more as you go for older speakers.

To get a vast price differential you'd have to go for really old speakers, and this is where problems arise. Perhaps the 'sweet spot' is to look for speakers that originally cost 3 times your budget.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends where you live, there are a few hifi shops that sell used or end of line stock. I know of 3 in South/east England and 1 near Newcastle. Yes I think you can get some good bargains, certainly my old speakers sounded better than many new ones which cost £500+.

D

Deleted member 116933

Ive bought secound hand kef cresta 2's off ebay for good price worked really well till solded them before i moved. They will give speakers worth £300 (in todays money) a run for there money. You seem to be able to alsways find good examples of those on ebay .

B&W 600 series are very hard to find good examples of.... Crushed tweeters and the like. You can normally tell how abused they've been just by looking at the quality of the cabinates.

Dail zensor you can find a few of normally. Tannoy have loads (a good pair of dc4t are on there now for 150).

mission 700 series! 700 and 701 are good standmounts (personal experiance with them in the past) and again would give MA bronzes a run for there money being vastly bigger speakers.

You won't get exotic brands as they tend to hold there price pretty well.

Be patient look around and just run a search on ebay or your choesn secound had sites! Also appproch dealers as they noramlly have trade ins laying around.

best wishes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts