YouView update delayed if you have a BT (Humax) box

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
From BT user forum:

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay in the roll-out of the YouView update. During our trial with the updated version, we discovered a bug in the new software which only affects BT Vision customers. We have now identified a fix, but it will be a couple of weeks before we can implement it. We’re sorry you have to wait a bit longer. We will let you know when the roll out will begin as soon as we have a fix date.

Cheers

David

BTCare Community Mod

Firmware Update Today - Page 7 - BTCare Community Forums

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that Minkey. I was wondering why I'd not got the update yet...

I am pleased with the YouView box now - the picture quality in SD is noticably better than the Humax it replaces and I love having HD content now. I'm looking forward to the new features the upgrade will bring but I'm glad I've not updated to a buggy version.

A

Anonymous

Good. So far, I'm very happy with ours. It replaced a 5yr old Freeview SD basic hard disk recorder so the "PVR" side is a real upgrade for us. I can get Lovefilm and YouTube on the telly so between them, I've got all the bases covered, and the TV can feed 5.1 optically to the amp anyway.

So, I'm not loosing any sleep over the delayed update.

That said, I've got it by signing up to £4pm. If I'd paid £250 for a retail box, I might feel differently.

A

Anonymous

For BT boxes, update to 8.7.0 should run tonight, or can be manually run now.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Running my update now.

What does the update bring to the table? One thing I have noticed about my Youview box is occasional blocking on some channels, and sometimes a message saying the signal is weak. No such issues with the TV's tuner and never had these problems with my old BT Vision box connected via the very same aerial cable.:?

A

Anonymous

From the YV forum - the update to v. 8.7.0 incorporates the delayed (for BT/Humax boxes) October update, viz:

· Faster start up time when your box is in Standby and when switched off for an extended period (e.g. overnight)

· The option to change the Auto-Standby setting to 12 Hours, with a choice of 2, 3, 4 and 12 Hours available

· Recordings grouped by series in MyView to make it easier to find what you are looking for

· A new padlock symbol to help identify which of your recordings are locked to prevent automatic deletion

· A reduced number of button presses to open MyView from the main menu

· Surround sound capability on the YouView box (when connecting with S/PDIF)

· Skip functionality to allow you to skip forwards 60 seconds or backwards 15 seconds while watching your recordings or live TV (if you’ve paused/rewound)

· The ability to select a start point when playing a recording

· Red Button prompts on BBC channels can now be hidden using the green button on your remote control

· The ability to hide and restore channels in the YouView Guide

· A message to remind you that if you’ve pressed the TV button on your Humax remote control, you will need to press the PVR button to continue using YouView

and now

• A fix for viewers who experienced a loss of channels Please ensure that your box has received this software and then perform a manual channel re-tune. (You can do this by navigating to the settings, TV Signal & Quality, Re-tune channels)
• A fix for a problem where occasionally selecting programmes currently broadcasting on live TV through the guide would not work as expected
• ITV Player now appears in the on-demand players section for the small number of viewers in the South East who previously could not access this player
• Improved reliability for series recordings
• Improvements relating to on-demand portals

Main thing for me was the 5.1 output, where the broadcast included it, although haven't checked this with Catch Up/On Demand content yet.

I think the reception issue simply reflects how different boxes make the best of the incoming signal. Might be worth checking all connections in the chain.

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you hook up a DVD Recorder to a YouView box? I take a lot of flights and long train journeys and as I watch recorded shows on the move, I need the option of recording to DVD-R as well as to the STB's hard drive.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
duncansbby said:
It needs an optical connection - all 4 HDs channels displaying the dolby symbol on my surround sound system

Finally rooted through the big carrier bag of A/V bits and found the Chord Optichord which has been in there for about 5 years, at the same time congratulating myself for not giving it away or selling it. Connected it all up, configured the Youview box settings to output Surround rather than Stereo from the optical out, likewise set the Onkyo to receive audio via optical rather than HDMI, and it appears to be working...... Ish....

Do all shows on the HD channels broadcast in surround all the time? Currently, at 3:42 pm. There's 'Prank Patrol Down Under' on BBC1 HD (Onkyo's display shows it's receiving a stereo signal only), switch to BBC HD - channel 102, currently airing a preview, the Onkyo's display shows full 5.1 is being received. ITV1 HD & C4 HD ('Dickinson's Real Deal' & '1001 Things You Should Know') are currently also only broadcasting in stereo.

'1001 Things You Should Know', has an [SS] icon on the guide, so guessing it should be outputting surround sound, but it's not.:wall:

So I know it is all working in part thanks the the BBC HD channel preview, but exactly how much content is broadcast in surround?:?

EDIT: All the HD channels show the DD icon on my display, but so far the only one that actually lights up all the FL, C, FR, SL, LFE, SR lights is channel 102.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
A separate cable for audio ? What a load of plop - isn't that what HDMI is for?

Well I'll have to pinch the cable from my Apple TV to have a play.

How on earth do I get my Yamaha RXV 1065 to accept video from HDMI and audio via optical? :oops:

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
On my Onkyo, I entered the set-up menu and just went straight to the digital input screen to assign the Youview's input to Optical. It's a separate menu from the HDMI assign screen on my Onkyo, so leaving the HDMI assigned isn't a problem.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
The wife's out tonight so I'll have a play... I've got a feeling my amp needs a firmware upgrade before it'll do this. I recall a similar issue with Sky boxes a while back.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
OK I'm really confused! I've just updated my amp's firmware so I know it can do this - but I can't for the life of my work out how. There doesn't seem to be anything on the HDMI input to switch audio to Optical nor anything on the Optical input to tell it to take video via HDMI.

Can any Yamaha owners help me?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts