Question You're a millionaire

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

How much would you spend on Hi Fi?

• Total voters

matthewpianist

I'm never going to be in that position so it's hard to be sure, but I voted £10k on the basis that with careful auditioning and room matching it's perfectly possible to put together something incredible below that amount.

I think I would opt for Marantz's top CD player and an Auralic streamer as my main sources. Amplification would likely be top-end Arcam, NAD or a Sugden, and speakers would likely be higher end Dali or GoldenEar. Something like that.

record_spot

Went to the North West Audio Show down in Cranage Hall last weekend and was impressed by some systems, and deeply unimpressed by others. Some speaker manufacturers appear to think that ear splitting treble is the way forward - beg to differ there chaps.

I'd select £50,000 and on the back of that, get a pair of ATC SCM20A Limited Edition actives, matching subwoofer and that'll take care of about £15k-20k. They were mind bogglingly good. The PS Audio set up upstairs was about £100,000 and while it could handle Dave Brubeck's Take 5 (goodness, that track gets too much airtime...), it struggled to integrate vocals to make them a convincing part of the whole. The £1,000 - if that - set up that Wilkinson's HiFi had rigged up downstairs did a far better job of doing what budget gear really needs to do to sell; get to the core of the music and interpret that effectively. Their system was a P1, Q Acoustics speaker and a modest amp that I can't recall. Cabling was budget and it sounded excellent.

The room given over to boutique record label Chasing the Dragon was simply stunning - full pro-audio reel-to-reel deck, Technics 1200-GR and Luxman amps with speakers I can't recall. If that came in at under £100,000 you've bought wisely.

Most of the time, much of it comes down to volume though and the need to maybe crank some of this stuff to be able to shift the speakers a bit. With that in mind, I'll take my own setup for a few years yet, and should I win big in the lottery that I don't do, I'll splash out on a trip to the North-Eastern USA and catch New England in the fall. Much of this hobby comes down to knowing how to get the best out of what you have than chase for a nirvana you probably won't get to if you fall for the audiophile upgrade-upgrade-upgrade mantra all the time.

Last edited:

podknocker

Chasing that audio nirvana is an endless and expensive path to travel. I have an Audiolab Omnia and a pair of QA3030i on stands and it sounds great at low levels in my average sized living room. I'm listening to The Eagles greatest hits 2013 remaster on Spotify and I'm loving it. These HIFI venues cater for those with deep pockets and very large listening rooms and that's a small slice of the demographic. Most people have modest systems and need to squeeze as much out of a budget system as possible. I would need a much larger space to enjoy my dream system and that would need a lottery win. I don't obsess about HIFI like I used to and appreciate what I have. I doubt I'll ever replace my modest system, even if I become rich. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when you are not rich, you are restricted to hobbies within your means. If I won the lottery, my priorities would change and wouldn't spend as much time listening to music. The world has many more interesting things to explore and get involved in, if you have the wealth to pursue them. Spending hours every day, obsessing over an expensive HIFI would be a right waste of time in my opinion, when you could be doing anything else with your wealth. Your time on this planet is a short one and those people lucky enough to have wealth are not spending their precious time on this forum, arguing the merits, or otherwise, of flashy HIFI components.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Chasing that audio nirvana is an endless and expensive path to travel. I have an Audiolab Omnia and a pair of QA3030i on stands and it sounds great at low levels in my average sized living room. I'm listening to The Eagles greatest hits 2013 remaster on Spotify and I'm loving it. These HIFI venues cater for those with deep pockets and very large listening rooms and that's a small slice of the demographic. Most people have modest systems and need to squeeze as much out of a budget system as possible. I would need a much larger space to enjoy my dream system and that would need a lottery win. I don't obsess about HIFI like I used to and appreciate what I have. I doubt I'll ever replace my modest system, even if I become rich. As I mentioned in an earlier post, when you are not rich, you are restricted to hobbies within your means. If I won the lottery, my priorities would change and wouldn't spend as much time listening to music. The world has many more interesting things to explore and get involved in, if you have the wealth to pursue them. Spending hours every day, obsessing over an expensive HIFI would be a right waste of time in my opinion, when you could be doing anything else with your wealth. Your time on this planet is a short one and those people lucky enough to have wealth are not spending their precious time on this forum, arguing the merits, or otherwise, of flashy HIFI components.
Very true Pod, enjoy what you have :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts