Question You're a millionaire

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

How much would you spend on Hi Fi?

• Total voters

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Ones funds reflect on what their passions are to a degree for sure, and what they spend on them.

Im in love with music always have been and having vast funds would reflect on what kit I would purchase.

Having vast funds wouldn't change the fact I love music only expand the way I do it.

Heck if I won the lottery big now I know of this site and it's members I'd put together a monster dream system taking everybody on heres suggestions into account and obviously my own and invite the lot of you round with your favourite tracks to listen to it.

Last edited:

jjbomber

Heck if I won the lottery big now I know of this site and it's members I'd put together a monster dream system taking everybody on heres suggestions into account and obviously my own and invite the lot of you round with your favourite tracks to listen to it.
If you won the lottery you could buy everyone on here a piece of kit.

The fun bit would be working it out. Some people on here would love something under £5, as it's all digital and sounds the same. Others would like something high tech. Some would like high end toys. Some would find the question too difficult and get nothing. You could probably start another thread on it!

podknocker

My system sounds great and it cost around £2k. I wouldn't spend more money on HIFI if I won the lottery, because it would become an all consuming obsession. Trying to attain that audio nirvana would be such a waste of time and money, when there would be a myriad of new choices and potential experiences on offer. I really love music, but it's not the most important thing in the world, when you have the money to do ANYTHING else with your precious and brief time on this planet. Trying to get that last bit of detail from your music and being fixated with it, day after day, when you could be outside, in another country perhaps, jetskiiing or visiting interesting locations and natural wonders. It's like those people who carry on working, even when they could do anything else, after a lottery win. Spending your remaining years paying extra tax and working for a company that probably doesn't care for your efforts anyway. It's tragic really.

Last edited:

abacus

My system sounds great and it cost around £2k. I wouldn't spend more money on HIFI if I won the lottery, because it would become an all consuming obsession. Trying to attain that audio nirvana would be such a waste of time and money, when there would be a myriad of new choices and potential experiences on offer. I really love music, but it's not the most important thing in the world, when you have the money to do ANYTHING else with your precious and brief time on this planet. Trying to get that last bit of detail from your music and being fixated with it, day after day, when you could be outside, in another country perhaps, jetskiiing or visiting interesting locations and natural wonders. It's like those people who carry on working, even when they could do anything else, after a lottery win. Spending your remaining years paying extra tax and working for a company that probably doesn't care for your efforts anyway. It's tragic really.
Happiness comes in many forms, so criticizing people who don't share your own personal preferences is not clever or valid.
BTW. Looking at what you want to do with it, then I am afraid it would be used up in next to no time, so you would be back to square one.

Bill

podknocker

Happiness comes in many forms, so criticizing people who don't share your own personal preferences is not clever or valid.
BTW. Looking at what you want to do with it, then I am afraid it would be used up in next to no time, so you would be back to square one.

Bill
Clever, valid? I'm entitled to an opinion, like everyone and will offer it. I really don't care if it's accepted or not. I also think most people luckily enough to win the lottery, wouldn't obsess about HIFI and there would be a vanishingly small number of people willing to carry on working with a large amount of money to enjoy. Also, I think most people would think to carry on working with a lottery win would be a strange thing to do and a waste of one's time. Have another poll. I'm probably going to be right, although I won't care if I'm not. Also also, the whole point of a forum is to express one's views. I get the feeling this platform is becoming increasingly against people having a view, which differs from an 'established norm' on here. Being woke and being offended by any other view of the world, seems to be the way of the world these days. The number of millionaires spending their time on this forum, or any other for that matter, will be very close to zero, if not zero.

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’m starting to understand that if I were a millionaire, I’d happily spend 10% of my wealth on a hifi (assuming I’d be able to convince myself that I’m hearing an improvement, which we all know I would if I’ve decided I can afford it).

Listening to my hifi today, each new piece of equipment I’ve bought over the last couple of years has elevated my enjoyment for my morning & evening listening sessions. That might be more the investment more than improvement in sound. Appreciation is appreciation. I’m grateful for the joy it brings me, and would definitely scratch the itch with a bigger budget given the chance.

I should caveat that with the fact I don’t covet super high-end audio, nor do I look down on budget equipment. The last 10 years has been a journey of slowly building up from the cheapest 2nd hand equipment I could buy, and it’s sounded great at every stage.

It’d be an amazing experience to spend a day in a shop shortlisting equipment before paying someone to bring it to mine for guided home demos & setup advice. That is after building/refurbing a couple of rooms for improved acoustics.

Ceiling speakers on a WiFi network would be fine for kitchen. I’d like a bold system in the living room for causal/daily listening & then a special system in a study for focused listening.

Best get on earning some money before I get too old for my ears to enjoy it 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: doifeellucky

Friesiansam

Listening to my hifi today, each new piece of equipment I’ve bought over the last couple of years has elevated my enjoyment for my morning & evening listening sessions. That might be more the investment more than improvement in sound. Appreciation is appreciation. I’m grateful for the joy it brings me, and would definitely scratch the itch with a bigger budget given the chance.
It makes you happy, that’s all that matters.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm the same as said.
I love music not just like it, becoming hugely wealthy wouldn't negate my passion for music.
It would reflect on what I use to listen to it as budget is obviously one of the main factors in what we choose.

We all make our prospective hifi choices for vastly different reasons given personal preferences, but it always has to be within whatever budget we have set (for whatever reasons).

Becoming vastly wealthy would obviously reflect on the budget set for a hifi and in turn further be reflected on how much joy one gets from it.

I love hifi because of the exponential happiness it brings me.
So vast wealth would bring in better hifi because budget would allow it.

I don't mean hugly expensive silly silly stuff I always prefer "function over form"

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If I won enough to comfortably buy Heinz Baked Beans and Vintage Cathedral City cheddar for the rest of my days, I'd be dropping about half a million on a dedicated theatre room, and I know exactly which one I would copy and paste. But that half a mil is EVERYTHING - the build, the furniture, the furnishings, sconces etc. In fact, the equipment is the least expensive thing of the lot - I want a really nice environment to watch movies in with my nearest and dearest (none of this individual theatre seats either).

AJM1981

I would not go all in on hi-fi. I would perhaps buy the Wharfedale Elysian 2 for 4000 pounds and their stands for what they are worth by that time.

I could also buy them now, but it is a little overkill in size and price for an average living room, My current Evo 4.2 is excellent for that and it's already above average. I would keep my current Yamaha WXA 50 amp; and that's it.

The Elysians are not a 'world of difference' compared to the Evo's. They are being described as more effortless in bigger rooms, which is no wonder. They profit from a bigger casing; so yes.. bigger speakers always play more effortless

Last edited:

Gray

Heinz Baked Beans and Vintage Cathedral City cheddar
If we're ever unable to afford baked beans, we're in trouble.

(By mistake I bought extra mature instead of standard Cathedral......too crumbly and messy to cut and put on toast - but I realise starving people would settle for that 'problem').

As I've already said, I'd have to move house before spending any more money than I all ready have on hi- fi.
Otherwise it really would be wasted money.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I've already spent almost $220.00 on three like-new devices this year, and one is only playing a boxed backup role: I'm going to have to start buying lottery tickets!

podknocker

(By mistake I bought extra mature instead of standard Cathedral......too crumbly and messy to cut and put on toast - but I realise starving people would settle for that 'problem').

As I've already said, I'd have to move house before spending any more money than I all ready have on hi- fi.
Otherwise it really would be wasted money.
This is the problem. With a million quid to spend on top end HIFI, you need to consider its location and any sonic anomalies inside the listening room. To enjoy HIFI at its best you would need a really neutral sounding room and would need to avoid windows ideally, but then you would need really quiet aircon to compensate. We've had the discussion about diminishing returns and I don't think there is any point spending more than £30k on a top end system. Any more and you are going to struggle gaining appreciable improvements. An ideal listening room, for a 2.1 system wouldn't need to be more than 10x13m, with a 3m ceiling and this space could easily cope with decent bass and SPLs. You also need to consider soundproofing to stop road noise and the rest of the population spoiling your music. It's tricky in suburbia. I live on a cul-de-sac, so it's better than a busy road, but I live in a flat, so there are always intrusions into my listening sessions. It's better with headphones, but far from perfect. I reckon £100k tops to enjoy an incredible system. Spending more is just being blingy and cosmetic, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I live in New Jersey now, good ol' Heinz baked beans are found in my local European aisle at $3.99 a tin. And Cathedral City (also imported) shells me about twice that for the smaller pack (350gm IIRC).

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I live in New Jersey now, good ol' Heinz baked beans are found in my local European aisle at $3.99 a tin. And Cathedral City (also imported) shells me about twice that for the smaller pack (350gm IIRC).
Blimey, they call this ripoff Britain, but you've made me grateful for what I pay for those things.

Keep enjoying them, try to forget the prices 👍

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS