Your Winners & Losers from Bristol

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Winner = The Cabasse room.......awesome sound playing " Sloe Gin" by Joe Bonamassa
emotion-2.gif

Loser = The Leema Acoustics room...........sounding very harsh.
emotion-45.gif

p.s A fantastic show................but some terrible music used to demonstrate some brands.

A

Anonymous

Hey Idc.....sorry you didn't make it.

Not rubbing it in but also enjoyed

the KEF concept blades, which were pretty mentle! I came out feeling a bit dazed.

The High end Grado's which were so compelling that they were hard to put down. Lucky I left my Credit card at home on purpose.

D

and

A

Anonymous

Also the guy from Chord Electronics sorted out my static noise problem using a DAC and Spotify.

You were right it is something Spotify are doing and Chord can resolve it my moving a transistor within the DAC free of charge.
emotion-2.gif

D

idc

brittondave:

Not rubbing it in but also enjoyed....

.....The High end Grado's which were so compelling that they were hard to put down....... .

Now thats rubbing it in
emotion-9.gif
Which Grados into what, do tell more!

A

Anonymous

Grado GS1000i 's and you know what.............. I was so gobsmaked by the sound I forgot to check.....I was just enjoying the music. My friend who I took a long for the ride couldn't quite believe his ears and would not stop going on about it.....In fact I think he is selling the car as we speak.

Will try and remember what it was paired with.

idc

One day, hopefully Manchester later this year. Did you meet any other forum members? Going by the number of posts being started about the show it would appear a whole load of the forum were there.

A

Anonymous

No other forum members unfortunatly, but made some good contacts with various exhibitors.

Maybe we could meet up at Manchester if I've finished work my then...I fully intend to go!

idc

If and I will do my best to go to Manchester (which is the north apparently, but it is south of me), you will know me as the big chap refusing to let go of the Grados!

A

Anonymous

Actually I had to wrestle tham off a thin looking chap with a vice like grip who looked like he was going to wear them all day and was sweating nervously whilst holding an American Express card!

idc

Thanks for taking the time to keep replying brittondave. Is it stupidly busy at the show? Do you really get a proper chance to listen to kit? I have been to one shop event and it was a good mix of spearate controlled rooms where people were expected to keep quiet and the larger space a bit of a mad house where there were too many people, some of whom did not appear to be interested in hifi at all.

nads

brittondave:
Also the guy from Chord Electronics sorted out my static noise problem using a DAC and Spotify.

You were right it is something Spotify are doing and Chord can resolve it my moving a transistor within the DAC free of charge.
emotion-2.gif

D

so that sounds more like a poor DAC design

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Winners

The Naim room, with or without the DAC.

The Bryston/PMC room with the Fact 8's.

The Onkyo room with the THX AV system, although I thought it was the wrong choice of speakers to show off a THX system.

The Wilson Benesch room, but then it's always the expensive stuff playing!

Neat Acoustics showing off those cute little speakers! Might have to get those in.....

Great little iPod dock/system on the Shure stand - only £100! Bargain.

Losers

The Chord Electronics room - whatever was playing just sounded bad.

Yamaha room - they should get back to the dems they used to do - they have one of the best amps on the market to do it with...

Cyrus room - I wasn't too keen on the Vienna Acoustics speakers.

Didn't *** into the Leema room brittondave, so can't comment there. I didn't see much point as I've heard it in our demo room. There were some other rooms I didn't listen to, so can't comment on those either.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Really enjoyed the whole experience, first one I've been able to attend. I really needed to spend the whole day there but had to leave after about 4 hours, work committments.

Interesting chat with one of the Denon guys who revealed that they are bringing out a new all-in-one later in the year. However would not reveal if it is a direct replacement for their DM37 or a competitor for the Marantz / Arcam all-in-ones. I await the release.

A

Anonymous

Just got in from the show, though only had three hours down there, definately not enough.

GFotta agree with David about the PMC Fact 8s, best speakers I heard in the show. Only other comment I would make now is I was surprised how badly set up alot of the rooms were, about half the systems were really grating. Also really enjoyed the I.US room....

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:.

Didn't *** into the Leema room brittondave, so can't comment there. I didn't see much point as I've heard it in our demo room. There were some other rooms I didn't listen to, so can't comment on those either.

No you haven't heard it in your demo room, because they were NEW. Very new, nobody has heard them.

A

Anonymous

I was really excited about listening to the Leema kit, but was so disappointed. It wasn't just me .....all the people I was with were in agreement. However, I am sure there were others there that found it fantastic.

I really enjoyed the show

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BorderHoarder:FrankHarveyHiFi:. Didn't *** into the Leema room brittondave, so can't comment there. I didn't see much point as I've heard it in our demo room. There were some other rooms I didn't listen to, so can't comment on those either.

No you haven't heard it in your demo room, because they were NEW. Very new, nobody has heard them.

Ok, I'll rephrase - I didn't go into the Leema room because I've hear other Leema gear before in our demo room.

John Duncan

brittondave:
Grado GS1000i 's and you know what.............. I was so gobsmaked by the sound I forgot to check.....I was just enjoying the music. My friend who I took a long for the ride couldn't quite believe his ears and would not stop going on about it.....In fact I think he is selling the car as we speak.

Will try and remember what it was paired with.

There might have been several, but fairly sure I saw a MF V-Can on the stand...

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Winners:

Gotta agree the Grado DS1000is blew me away too, only heard the lower end models previously and hated them.

I really liked the new versions of the Leema stream and Pulse. Maybe it was the music they played when I was in there but didnt seem harsh to me at all. Look forward to demoing the Pulse III with its onboard DAC compared to the Cyrus 8XPd later in the year.

The higher end Naim room was making some lovely, smooth but involving sounds. Never really heard a Naim that I liked before, but I liked this one. I swear there was even a soundstage at one point!

I could have stayed in the Wilson Benesch room all weekend. Didnt matter what music was playing in there it all sounded amazing. I now know where my lottery money is going!

KEF concept blade demo was amazing I thought, really good sounding speakers. Shame about the looks but then its only a concept.

I spent a lovely 20 minutes in the Audionote room. Never realised 8 Watts of amp could sound so amazing. I will need to look into these systems in more detail, but it was a lovely sound.

Chord cables after letting me into the 'locked room' Chord cables demo, which made me realise my system is broken because I dont have Chord Solstice everything!

Losers:

The Cyrus room, I think it was the speakers but there was no life in there just dull. Really disappointing.

The Chord room, no chance to hear the QBD76 DAC, boo!

The lower end Naim room, nasty sound which the guy said was because of the CD but was the same every time I went past!

Hate to say it, but the What HIFI demo was very disappointing. I normally love Kef reference but the sound was very poor. The 3d effect was rubbish, double images very apparent for most of what I could see (I could only really see one of the two screens). The extra height channels also added very little in my opinion.

My system after the Chord cables demo, as it now sounds broken!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
gregvet:
Hate to say it, but the What HIFI demo was very disappointing. I normally love Kef reference but the sound was very poor. The 3d effect was rubbish, double images very apparent for most of what I could see (I could only really see one of the two screens). The extra height channels also added very little in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to say it - the very reason we demonstrate new technologies at shows (in this case 3D, plus Dolby ProLogic IIz) is so you can decide if you like it or not. We're not saying 'this is awesome - buy it!', merely 'here's some new technology, what do you think?'.

Just think of the money we've saved you
emotion-5.gif

Some other people, incidentally, loved the 3D - though there was an interesting split of viewers as to who preferred the passive-glasses LG system in the demo, and who plumped for the active-shutter glasses Samsung system on our stand.

Many others remain to be persuaded - still plenty to do, TV manufacturers!

A

Anonymous

I really enjoyed the show, wish I could have stayed longer.

As for the 3d screens it was good to finally try the tech. My initial impressions were that I personally preferred the active shutter based image (although someone in our group could see flickering), however I do not see 3D tech being for me (for now). I will wait a few years for content to become more prevalent.

The KEF concept blade demo was superb, as was the SIM2 area showing LED lit projection. However I would have liked the SIM2 demo to have punched me with a bit more bass given the Subs that were deployed in the demo!

It was also a good opportunity to have a look at some decent AV furniture in one place. If only I had measured up beforehand....

Thanks team!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts