Your Winners & Losers from Bristol

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Bit late but all the same:

Winners:

Wilson Benesch - Those gorgeous valves were so huge! Sounded pretty amazing too.
The other 3D demo - Same glasses as you get at the cinema (= cheap) and some very effective motor-racing footage. (didn't get into WHF demo to compare - too busy!)
Onkyo - For playing Maiden at full pelt! Hog heaven though the sound was somewhat leaner than expected.
Arcam - Sting was an inspired choice - reminded my why I like their kit so much.

Oh and the one listening room with Metallica's S&M in the CD stack - shame a different demo was running - would have been interesting ...

Loser:

B&W - No show discount? Are you kidding me? I got on-site approval for a sub but no discount means I'm looking for a more flexible manufacturer who's bothered.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:FrankHarveyHiFi: Losers

The Chord Electronics room - whatever was playing just sounded bad.

Couldn't agree more, a 3 grand pair of speakers and it sounded like a bad Aiwa midi system or something.

Thats not Chord Electronics fault, they were using Dynaudio Speakers which were a poor match IMO. In 2009, they were using Spendor ST speakers, which were a far better match.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sometimesuk:the_lhc:FrankHarveyHiFi: Losers
The Chord Electronics room - whatever was playing just sounded bad.

Couldn't agree more, a 3 grand pair of speakers and it sounded like a bad Aiwa midi system or something.

Thats not Chord Electronics fault, they were using Dynaudio Speakers which were a poor match IMO. In 2009, they were using Spendor ST speakers, which were a far better match.

That doesn't make it any better frankly. If anything it makes it worse, a company picking speakers that don't match their own kit? That's either careless or stupid. Either way it's not a company I want to do business with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts