Your most recent gig

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
The first half was entirely Snow Goose and the second was a mixture of old and newer favorites .

It was amazing the whole band was so tight , they all love what they do so much and this passion comes across very strongly in the music . :)

I'm jealous, maybe I'll get a chance to see them in the non too distant future..

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
As an aside, it's looking likely that AC/DC are going to tour this year :)

im very happy :)

if you hear anything first keep it posted.

I remember trying to get tickets a few years ago. I was in Scotland, no wi fi, no 3G. My phone never did make it through the first page of purchasing.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Last night, went to see Goldfrapp.

I'll admit it was a bit of a punt, I only really knew a few of their songs but I wanted to do something on my birthday.

Oh my God. It was just brilliant.
I think the first half dozen or so were from the new album, and it was some of the most beautiful music I've heard. Her voice is amazing.
Music is obviously really important to everyone on this forum, I had tears in my eyes it was just so perfect.
There was not one duff song in the se.

If ever you get the chance, you must see them. I'd go again tonight if I could.

I'm now a big fan, and it's got to be up there with the best concerts I've been to.

The support "We Were Evergreen" were really good to. Their debut album is out in May, worth a listen. They have some tracks on spotify.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Saturday , Lloyd Cole (solo) at Queens Hall in Edinburgh sitting in one of the cabaret tables with bottle of wine and good chilled sounds , very good.

Echo & Bunnymen next month

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
For the first time in probably 20 years I attended an "arena" gig last night,the Manchester Arena. Now normally my idea of a great gig is a small venue with 200 or so similarly aged gentlemen listening to a blues band
smiley-laughing.gif

However my wife knowing that I love and own all their studio albums, bought me 2 tickets for Elbow as a Xmas present and we went along last night.

As much as I like Elbow I was not sure how I'd enjoy the arena experience. Also, my wife knew "One Day Like This" and that's it. I'd told her repeatedly that as an Emile Sande/Rebecca Ferguson type of person, she was not going to enjoy it. Well we've been married 30 years so what do I know? Nothing, that's what! Firstly she enjoyed every minute of it, not just the aforesaid show ender, and secondly quite frankly Elbow were magnificent. What a show. 2 hours of magnificent music, great lighting, sound, and in Guy Garvey they have someone who can work a crowd. Granted it was their hometown gig, but the crowd were up from the first note.

Superb night,

Oh, and in "One Day Like This", they have the absolute perfect closing song.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My next gig is next month at the Moses Gate in Bolton, Virgil and the Acceleraters. As far removed from Elbow and the Manchester Arena as it's possible to get.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
For the first time in probably 20 years I attended an "arena" gig last night,the Manchester Arena. Now normally my idea of a great gig is a small venue with 200 or so similarly aged gentlemen listening to a blues band
smiley-laughing.gif

Yeah, I much prefer small venues. Two or three years ago I went to see Muse at Wembley, dreadful, no atmosphere. I won't bother with big venues again, unless it's to see AC/DC :rockout:

I don't know much by Elbow, but I quite like what I've heard, especially 'that' song :) Sounds like you had a great night....

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi Freddy58 Ive seen The Black Keys & Black Sabbath at the O2 and they were both amazing gigs :grin:

Hiya :)

I assume you mean the 02 in London? Isn't that a large venue? Black Sabbath eh? Nice :)

I'm quite looking forward to seeing 'Whole Lotta Led' in June. I've seen them several times over the years. Always a great night. Highly recommended ;)

Anyone interested in seeing them, here's their gig page.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Delain and Within Temptation

Delain were brilliant, even better than I'd hoped. They were only on for 40 minutes or so, and no April Rain
sad.png
. I'd love to see them do a full set. My friend said they were the best support shed seen. Me too.
WT were fantastic, really quite heavy, even compared to their albums.
Some observations. I found the video screen quite distracting (seemed a bit toned down later in the show). I wondered how they were going to deal with the duets with other singers. They used the the screen and the other vocalists track. It would have been nice if the other part was sung live, although I guess getting Tarja etc to do a walk on wouldn't really be possible.
Overall it was just brilliant great visuals, and both bands. Charlotte & Sharon having amazing voices.
I was sat quite a way from the stage, which i was a bit miffed about.

Just to add. WT did an amazing cover of Lana Del Reys Summertime Sadness, which is pretty good any way. But think metal with a beautiful voice.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Saw a rather good indie type band called Dios Mio at `The Nest` in Dalston a couple of weeks ago. Sort of reminded me of Beach House except jangly guitar driven :rockout: rather than keyboard. Shamefully this was my first live gig since I honestly can`t remember when. :oops:

Done some checking up and it seems they get most of their airplay/exposure through `Amazing Radio` who I believe recently championed London Grammar. Was hoping to see them again today in Camden but I can`t make it. :cry:

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Lenny Kravitz supported by Blind Melon at the Open Air Theatre, San Diego University October 1993.

Visited Sea World earlier in the day.

It was a good day.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hacride supporting Uneven Structure at The Peel in Kingston last night.

Both bands were awesome. :rockout: :rockout:

Alas, it was The Peel's last ever night of music as it's gonna be torn down and the site redeveloped...... Shame, as although I hadn't been there in some time, I used to play there myself quite regularly about 20 years or so ago. Looks like The Fighting Kocks now has the small venue monopoly in Kingston. :roll:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Big Chris said:
Hacride supporting Uneven Structure at The Peel in Kingston last night.

Both bands were awesome. :rockout: :rockout:

Alas, it was The Peel's last ever night of music as it's gonna be torn down and the site redeveloped...... Shame, as although I hadn't been there in some time, I used to play there myself quite regularly about 20 years or so ago. Looks like The Fighting Kocks now has the small venue monopoly in Kingston. :roll:

Visited the 'Three Fishes' a few times back in the day. Great rock pub :)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sax Appeal featuring Derek Nash, at the Jazz Mix Cliffs Pavillion Southend on Sea .

https://southendtheatres.org.uk/Online/jazz-mix?menu_id=D7506033-C54E-46FD-B928-F49C291AED1D&sToken=1%2C6152bd27%2C535a9faa%2C7B25C231-F843-4717-9953-695C9175077A%2C8fhd%2Fgu%2FN4T%2FdYIrnB3uaLlohAo%3D

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I went to see a band called Virgil & the Accelerators at a pub in Bolton called the Moses Gate.

Amongst forthcoming attractions there is a tribute band with possibly the best name I've seen... The Reet Hot Chilli Peppers.

From 'oop north possibly? :)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
I went to see a band called Virgil & the Accelerators at a pub in Bolton called the Moses Gate.

Amongst forthcoming attractions there is a tribute band with possibly the best name I've seen... The Reet Hot Chilli Peppers.

From 'oop north possibly? :)

Ha! Very good. :grin:

By the way, which band are they a tribute to? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts