Your most recent gig

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Drummerdave said:
Shonen Knife

I saw them on Saturday in Milton Keynes, very enjoyable, and a little bit silly.

Drummerdave said:
The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (loudest gig I've seen in a long time)

If I'd known they were over here, I'd have gone to see them. Amazing live band.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Drummerdave said:
Shonen Knife

I saw them on Saturday in Milton Keynes, very enjoyable, and a little bit silly.

Drummerdave said:

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion are a great live band.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Drummerdave said:
Shonen Knife

Drummerdave said:

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion are a great live band.

They are indeed, twas an excellent gig.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Field Day on Sunday.

Saw Pond (good), Temples (a bit dull), Drenge (awesome), and Pixies (great)

I think I'm going to have to check out Drenge a bit more, really rocked the place, and with just a drummer and guitarist/vocalist.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
toyota man said:
I am off to Download on Thursday to see Joe Bonamassa , among others anybody else going ?

Rival Sons are there Friday. i am going to Birmingham tonight (Tuesday) to see them.
Rival Sons are a great band and one of the ones I am looking forward to seeing :rockout:

jjbomber

toyota man said:
Rival Sons are a great band and one of the ones I am looking forward to seeing :rockout:

Bit of a mixed bag tonight. There was a fight in the crowd during 'Jordan', which Jay went mad about. It is a very personal song to him about a friend dying. He did a bit of a 'Roger Waters in Montreal' type rant at the crowd. Then he said if one woman gets injured in a crowd fight then the band are leaving. A few drunken idiots then shouting for the remainder of the set. They shouldn't let people drink on an empty head.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Field Day on Sunday.

Saw Pond (good), Temples (a bit dull), Drenge (awesome), and Pixies (great)

I think I'm going to have to check out Drenge a bit more, really rocked the place, and with just a drummer and guitarist/vocalist.

Saw Drenge last year, great band. Their debut album is well worth a listen.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Went to see Suede at Westonbirt last night.
The weather was lovely, if a bit chilly later on. The whole set up seemed about half the size of Blondie last year, half the crowd etc etc. Suede are playing the Albert Hall so I'd be surprised if they could sell the tickets ?
Maybe Westonbirt half deliberately made it smaller. Last year it was a nightmare getting out (over an hour), this year just drove straight out.

There were two support acts.
The Host, really rather good and I'll listen to the some more.
Gruff Rhys. Not really my cup of tea.

Suede were brilliant better than I expected. But even with the encore they were only on for 1 1/4 hours. What's that about ?

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Just about to drive down to Festibelly Festival in the New Forest to see Dios Mio and Mighty Oaks amongst others. Weather looks promising at the moment!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hyde Park that is 1st up Soul Fly who were very good then came Motorhead who really rocked the place Lemmy didn't look to well though. then came Sound Garden who played the whole of there 1st album I think it was this went down very well we tried to get in to see Wolf Mother the que was about 800yards long and after waiting to get in we were told that they had stopped letting people in finally Black Sabbath who really whent down a storm the whole crowd were going crazy Ozzy was really on form both Geezer Butler & Toni Iomi did brilliant solo's and as for the drum solo must have lasted at least 20 minutes not sur if they will be doing any more gigs after this tour as Toni is very ill

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Hall And Oats are playing The Bic At Bournemouth Tonight. My Doctor friend Said his good lady said can we go and see them. He said no After watching them Live on You Tube he asked me why cant he sing like he dose on Record. I have often wonderd The same, Being a fan of Private Eye era. Anyone any opinions on why this might be. The voice trick box was not around then was it.

Have you been put of at all by seeing someone you like very much by their You Tube performances.

http://www.ents24.com/bournemouth-events/BIC/daryl-hall-and-john-oates/3719594

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

toyota man said:
Hyde Park that is 1st up Soul Fly who were very good then came Motorhead who really rocked the place Lemmy didn't look to well though. then came Sound Garden who played the whole of there 1st album I think it was this went down very well we tried to get in to see Wolf Mother the que was about 800yards long and after waiting to get in we were told that they had stopped letting people in finally Black Sabbath who really whent down a storm the whole crowd were going crazy Ozzy was really on form both Geezer Butler & Toni Iomi did brilliant solo's and as for the drum solo must have lasted at least 20 minutes not sur if they will be doing any more gigs after this tour as Toni is very ill

I was there too, and you seem to have missed out Faith No More.

I'm not a massive rock fan, but it was a day out in glorious sunshine, and apart from some of the queues for the loo, food, and especially drink, it was an enjoyable day. I was mainly looking forward to Faith No More and Motorhead, and I really enjoyed FNM, but Motorhead didn't quite have the impact on me that I thought they might. Didn't see Soulfly, and I can take or leave Soundgarden, but Sabbath were entertaining, especialy Ozzy running around the stage like, like, well I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was quite (unintentionally) funny.

I wasn't aware of Tony Iomi being ill, his playing did impress me, but I have to say that the whole day had far too many drum solos for my liking. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Going to Truck Festival this weekend. Not many bands playing that I've actually heard of, but looking forward to Gang Of Four, Big Deal, and the torrential rain and thunderstorms. *yahoo*

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed Larry Miller Saw Larry First At Mr Smiths Bournemouth. Then a number of other local events. Its great when you discover these acts for the first time. But folishly I made the mistake of seeing them two many times. I seen The Hamsters so many times Got fed up with the same stage act the same jokes. Just left the back of my throat dry in the end . We walked out the final time we saw them me and my mate Dave looked at each other and said Enough is Enough We driven from Bournemouth the The Brook in Southampton that night. We seen Limehouse Lizzy And Ruthless Blues And Dirty/DC to many times and sadly Eugene Hidaway Bridges An american bluesman With a very big hat. In Mr kyps to many times. I was going to ask the question How many times do you feel you should see a band. Have you a golden Rule?

We seen Van Morrison Three times Give him his due He certainly Keeps it fresh. But Van Morrison Van morrirson Three times was enough. He was never going to sing anything from my personal Van morrison playlist I like. No "Rewood Tree" Or "Before the world was made" Do not go to gigs anymore. Just enjoy what I enjoy on my hi fi and create my own shows Here the songs I want to Listen to.

I got a bit peved with performers asking me if i was allright in the end :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
dexxas said:
. I was going to ask the question How many times do you feel you should see a band. Have you a golden Rule?

I go to very few gigs these days, so not really a problem for me. I suppose I have seen Richard Thompson maybe 10 times over the last 25 years or so. However the beauty of going to see RT is that his shows are always varied, the set-list always changing (apart from a few standards that he can't get away with not playing), a nice line in between song patter, and sometimes solo, sometimes full band etc.

I suppose the rule is if you are looking at your watch, and can't wait for the end of the gig, then maybe it's the end for that particular act.

PS: I still have my Hamsters Rodent Rock badge upstairs *blush*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Got back from Truck Festival today. Weather was much better than forecast, just some heavy showers on the Friday night.

One thing that was noticeble was the amount of bands that sound very similar to each other, and it did leave me a bit disappointed at the lack of originality on display. So many bands just sounded like a variant of The Killers, The 1975 etc etc, and were all incredibly polished, and very very dull.

Exceptions were the Gang Of Four, who were absolutely awesome, and made me feel like I did when I was going to gigs in my teens and twenties. What a band.

The other exception was a new band to me, Maybeshewill. Dynamic instrumental post-rock of the highest order, and definitely a band I would recommend to those of you who like that kind of thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts