Your most recent gig

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Billiant gig last night. Never been to Moseley Park before, but it's a great (natural) venue which is a breath of fresh air from conventional open air gigs (even though the uneven ground/tree roots etc isn't too kind to drunk people!).

Unfortunately the gig kicked off while I was in the bar, which was sort of a little out of the way of the main stage, but despite that, the whole tent was singing along full swing - great atmosphere. Everyone seemed happy and enjoying themselves, which isn't always the case at live gigs!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hot Orange Big Band with Richard Smith as special guest.

At the Pizza Express Soho yesterday lunchtime.

A video of a similar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIt6G6uiLKU

We sat within touching distance of Richard Smith and the lead saxophonist and the sound was about 90% direct sound apart from electronic instruments, we were a bit worried that the sound would be over powering and too loud but it was fantastic !

Some pics to show how close we were.

2016-07-24%2013.46.42_zpstslqh00k.jpg

2016-07-24%2013.28.05_zpsnrgavbi3.jpg

2016-07-24%2013.46.45_zps2eggvuja.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Laurence Juber at the Pizza Express Soho last night .

We had a front seat again right next to the stage area, what a fantastic evening of wonderful music played by one of the masters of acoustic guitar.

A taste of what he can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-hrimy0t-0

jjbomber

David@FrankHarvey said:
jjbomber said:
No, it's a ROIO.
Excuse my ignorance - what's an ROIO?

Recording Of Indeterminable Origin. Basically someone in the crowd recorded it (with an Edirol R-09 HR no less) and posted it the net for anyone to download free. In theory, fans should only download concerts from bands they have supported, either through concert tickets or buying albums. This is impossible to enforce, but you would meet the requirement in any event.

jjbomber

Three bands for the price of, er, three at The Scene in Swansea. Ok, £22 isn't that bad. First up is Texas Flood, who are building avery good reputation for their live act. being a local band they brought in a decent size crowd for an opening band. One to watch.

Skam took 5 and a half hours to get down from Leicester. Did they walk? No, stuck in the Friday traffic. After one false start when the monitors didn't work, they soon found their stride. The old favourites like No Lies and Massacre were intermingled with new songs from their 3rd album, due to be released in the new year. This band should be much bigger than they are, but they all work full time and cannot commit to the music business full time.

The Quireboys played Swansea a few years back with an acoustic set, but tonight was the full on show. The venue appeared sold out; it was certainly packed to the rafters. As always, it is Spike who steals the show and he dominates the stage. His stories and quips have the crowd in the palm of his hand. It's great to note that his voice has held up so well too. Quite a few numbers from the new album make an appearance but it's the old favourites like 7 O'clock and Sex Party that really raise the roof. A great evening.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Gary Numan at Motion, Bristol last night.

The support were I Speak Machine, at first I didn't know what to think. First part was a live score to a short film called Zombies 1985. Not really my thing but I did like the track over the end credits. Then went on to play more tracks with the video screen still running, including a really good version of The Sound of Silence.

Gary Numan just seems to get better. Great sound and light show and some Tubeway Army stuff too.

It was in the main room at Motion and there was a great atmosphere, I realised the small room we walked through at the entrance was where we'd crammed in to see Delain last year.
When I looked on YouTube I saw that the concert was streamed live, so I guess that futures dates might be too. Bexhill tonight and I know there's a couple of London shows at the weekend.

jjbomber

A gig with a difference. The difference being that this was held at the Cullinan Diamond mine in South Africa. The mine owns a brewery and it was hosting an acoustic festival. As luck would have it, South Africa were playing Australia about 45 minutes away in Pretoria. So The Cockpit Brewery got an extra listener.

Most of the songs are from Dan's acoustic album, Wooden Thoughts. The bonus this afternoon though was a guest appearance by Dave Ferguson, one of the leading harmonica players in South Africa. The cover version of Whiskey and You was brilliant, and they should consider releasing it. The only down side to the gig was the audience reaction on new versus old. The standing ovation was for Led zeppelin's Kashmir, while Son House, The Band and Stevie Wonder covers got the most applause otherwise. I would like to see fans open their ears to new music a bit more.

Finally the rugby was dreadful but i was in the queue outside with RG Snyman, all 6' 10'' of him. He was sitting next to 6'10'' Jason Jenkins. I felt sorry for the fans sitting behind!

Tonestar1

Went to see Michael Rother from Neu! on Friday night in The Glasgow School of Art. Was a nice gig, not mind blowingly brilliant but good. Michael seemed very shy, just got on with his setlist. Not meaning to say he was going through the motions, anything but, he just seemed nervous interacing with the crowd. Some lovly music but i felt the sound in the room was seriously comprimised. Mega differences in sq, particularly bass, depeinding on your location in the packed venue.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
N Friday at Bristol O2 Academy

Pete Murphy (ex Bauhaus) not quite what I was expecting but better for it. An acoustic set but with his distinctive voice. Will make an effort to listen to more.
The main act was The Mission, probably my favourite band in the later eighties. Loved it. Most of the old favourites along with the best from their new album. I always forget that Friday is a 10pm finish there, so I think you usually lose a couple of songs. Looking at Setlist, they do seem to have a few differences every night.
They played The Crystal Ocean, which I wasn't expecting but it's prob my favourite

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Wille and the Bandits at the Basement Chelmsford last night .

They were absolutely fantastic, if you get the chance go and see them live you won't be dissapointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScwHYPTYevk

By way of contrast.

https://youtu.be/u4BqLkRxNj4

jjbomber

I have to admit I wasn't sure whether to go to this or not. Everybody (else) raves about Paul Rogers voice but I have never been a great fan. I am so glad I did go. He has got one of the best 'live' voices I have ever heard and is brilliant as a frontman. He had the audience in the palm of his hand. Brilliant showmanship. It was a short set at 80 minutes, but definitely quality over quantity. Catch him while you can as this is supposedly the farewell tour, with Mich Ralphs not well. The live versions are much better than the studio album tracks.

Support was from Richie Sambora, who was OK, but Orianthi on guitar was brilliant. Is she better than Nina Strauss? Probably but it is a close run thing. The trouble with Richie was that he thought he would be big and clever by changing guitar after every song. yes, every song. So there was a 2 minute gap between every song and the set never got going. As soon as the crowd got going, we were put back to sleep again.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hamish Stuart ( Ex Average White Band ) Band, last night at the Jazz mix Maritime rooms Southend on Sea.

Another fantastic evening of top quality music !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qzUSvUtof0

matthewpiano

I saw Steeleye Span at the Vivacity Theatre in Peterborough on Monday night. They played most of the songs from their new album 'Dodgy B**tards' (released on 11/11) as well as older classics such as 'Edward' and 'Sir James The Rose'.

They were on fantastic form, with real energy throughout, and Maddy Prior can certainly still sing. I've seen them many times, but Monday night was one of the best, and I'm looking forward to listening to the new album at the weekend (they were selling ahead of official release on the merch stand).

On Saturday I'm going back to Peterborough to see another big favourite of mine - Ralph McTell. It will be my 9th Ralph gig, and I can't wait.

jjbomber

Oli Brown has put the blues to one side and formed an out and out rock band. Their debut album, Nova, has just been released and is a corker. So it's off to see Clwb Ifor Bach to see if the live show lives up to the promise.

First surprise is the stage outfits. Adam on drums is dressed as Beetlejuice, aaron on bass is the Blue Man and Oli appears as a chicken ('I ordered a raven outfit but a chicken suit appeared'). As Halloween outfits go, it was quite good.

The gig itself is a case of both sides of the story. The live act is brilliant, with a livewire band, a couple of walkabouts in the crowd and a wall of sound. it is hard to believe there are only 3 people on stage, the sound is really full. The highlight is 'Eternity', a full on anthem if ever there was one. This will be a crowd favourite for years to come.

The down side was the crowd. A couple of fights break out, some are so drunk they shouldn't have been allowed in, the guy in front spend most of the gig looking at the back wall and there were groups of 5 or 6 people out for Happoween where only 1 or 2 wanted to watch. Finally the dreaded 'silence thieves' were out in force. If partners don't want to watch the gig, don't take them! They can stand outside and talk.

Next Friday, 11th, they play Worcester so I'll probably go there to hear them with a proper crowd. They really were that good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts