Yipee! Got the Naim (UPDATE)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
stevebrock said:
I must say the CD5i mk2 sounds a very interesting proposition - admittedly I have in the last year sunk over 1k into a transport & DAC and more than happy with the output of the Rega combo, CD is my secondary source with vinyl being my main source ( and very nice the RP3 is too), it's always Interesting to hear about other kit - maybe Naim will feature sometime in the future soon for me!

Steve, go and listen to one. As this is now the defunct version (replaced by the SI model) they are now going fairly cheap. You've spent a grand on the Rega CDP and Dac. Part exchanging my Arcam and the Naim is going to cost me £450.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
By my own admission I think Naim gear looks the dogs! Only heard a unitiqute and thought it was inferior to the Brio r in terms of sq.

I've been made redundant - I have a good cheque coming my way in a few weeks and am tempted to change my speakers......but now I'm liking the idea of being a Naim owner.....is it really all it's cracked up to be? Oh god my gf is gonna kill me if she reads this!

stevebrock said:
By my own admission I think Naim gear looks the dogs! Only heard a unitiqute and thought it was inferior to the Brio r in terms of sq.

I've been made redundant - I have a good cheque coming my way in a few weeks and am tempted to change my speakers......but now I'm liking the idea of being a Naim owner.....is it really all it's cracked up to be? Oh god my gf is gonna kill me if she reads this!

Sorry to hear about your job. For the timebeing I'd hang on to your current set-up. But when finances allow do have a listen to the CD5i. Not heard the Unitis, but according to all the reviews I've read on here, they internals are derived from the separates (Nait 5 amp and CDP), so should be similar. But I've heard, when had the Arcams, the Solo had the A65 and CD73 internals, but according to a Arcam rep the separates were better for reasons I know not. This could be the same with Naim.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Nope. Paying for it Friday or Saturday. They're taking my Arcam, so need to have that as reference.

Spread the cost PP, don't take the hit all at once? Pay over Friday and Saturday! :)

Glad you like the new player, looks like a winner.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Crumbs! Who'd have thought that one brand could cause so much excitement?! It is great to be around such a positive, upbeat vibe - enjoy your new purchase, PP!

stevebrock said:
Re: seperates........... I cant see the unti lite or qute being better than the Naim amp/cdp combo!

Me neither, but without comparing them directly, the UnitiLite sounds amazing with something like the little PMCs or GURU Junior. Naim prices go up at month end, so some ex-dem bargains are around. Worth a serious listen.

Only downside for me is that Naim is becoming a bit like a British B&O, or an upgrade for Sonos owners. More colour supplement than hifi mag, if you know what I mean. But losing the old hairshirt and sandals image must be great for business, unless I've just been deluded by the adverts...

plastic penguin said:
Been told to switch it on and leave it for an hour. Mrs. P and I have a 'Meet The Teacher' session at 5.45 today so I'll let it warm up during that period and see how it grabs me this evening.

Initial reports later.

Okay been a couple of weeks. Have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first, but I'm happy little penguin in the main.

When it comes to sound quality and synergy between all components the Naim doesn't let the side down. I had fears that it may mirror its sibling 5i amp, being over aggressive. But no. What it does bring to the table is a very cohesive, punchy sound. The detail is very good but, oddly, has more 'body' than the Arcam. Clearly the CD73 was a very neutral sounding player and the Naim firms up the overall soundstage.

For the money I can't find any serious sonic fault.

Negatives? sadly, yes. Although it sounds the 'bees knees', the aesthetics between the Naim and Leema is quite frankly... erm... minging. Each device is nicely built and looks good in their respective ways but together it's a 'no no'. Whether I'll get used to it or not I'm not sure.

9/10 for sound, 2/10 for looks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Okay been a couple of weeks. Have to admit I was a little apprehensive at first, but I'm happy little penguin in the main.

When it comes to sound quality and synergy between all components the Naim doesn't let the side down. I had fears that it may mirror its sibling 5i amp, being over aggressive. But no. What it does bring to the table is a very cohesive, punchy sound. The detail is very good but, oddly, has more 'body' than the Arcam. Clearly the CD73 was a very neutral sounding player and the Naim firms up the overall soundstage.

Negatives? sadly, yes. Although it sounds the 'bees knees', the aesthetics between the Naim and Leema is quite frankly... erm... minging. Each device is nicely built and looks good in their respective ways but together it's a 'no no'. Whether I'll get used to it or not I'm not sure.

Glad you're (mostly) very happy..........you can always listen with your eyes closed. :shifty:

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

...you can always listen with your eyes closed. :shifty:

Tried that. The amount of bruises...

I knew it would take some time to adjust after 6 1/2 years with one CDP. At the mo just isn't doing it for me lookswise.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
stevebrock said:
Re: seperates........... I cant see the unti lite or qute being better than the Naim amp/cdp combo!

Me neither, but without comparing them directly, the UnitiLite sounds amazing with something like the little PMCs or GURU Junior. Naim prices go up at month end, so some ex-dem bargains are around. Worth a serious listen.

Only downside for me is that Naim is becoming a bit like a British B&O, or an upgrade for Sonos owners. More colour supplement than hifi mag, if you know what I mean. But losing the old hairshirt and sandals image must be great for business, unless I've just been deluded by the adverts...

You still have to be pretty committed to own a full Naim set-up, both financially and in terms of patience in installation and to some extent, the idiosyncrasies of operation (leaving it powered up, DIN plugs, Naim speaker connectors etc etc).

It ain't plug 'n play, but the rewards are worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts