Yipee! Got the Naim (UPDATE)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The first CD I played - when my CD5i was new - was 'Sinatra at The Sands' (with The Count Basie Orchestra).

I wasn't a 'test' CD, just the last one I had been playing before bringing the Nait 5i/CD5i home to try out.

It was amazing. After that, disc after disc went on for a couple of hours.

(Remember to store that transport lock in the box and don't lose it.)

chebby said:
The first CD I played - when my CD5i was new - was 'Sinatra at The Sands' (with The Count Basie Orchestra).

I wasn't a 'test' CD, just the last one I had been playing before bringing the Nait 5i/CD5i home to try out.

It was amazing. After that, disc after disc went on for a couple of hours.

(Remember to store that transport lock in the box and don't lose it.)

In a safe place.

Cooking dinner at mo so it's playing as background music, but I'm planning to try some really 'orrible remasters as as some real (sonic) corkers: Hendrix, Kate Bush... but won't have a chance to compare, probably, until tomrrow.

Spent the last 20 mins or so listening to Newton Faulkner's 'Hand Built By Robots' album, and the word spacious springs to mind. So far positive. Even better is no nasties from the MA's tweeters... yet. :bounce:

Long day, totally cream crackered. Hit the sack early for once.

As we are in pun mode, does anyone else remember those great ads:

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch your Naim"

showing a NAP250 falling through the floorboards?

(And, showing my age even more, I still have an old Naim instruction leaflet which is a photocopy of a typewritten document. It really was a cottage business once. OMG!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Congrats PP - I'm sure it'll give you hours of enjoyment.

They last a bit longer than that usually.

That reminds me PP, make sure you register your Naim online or using the postcard. Then your CD5i will be guaranteed for 5 years with Naim. (Even after the dealer's guarantee has expired). No registration, no 5 year guarantee.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP,

Come on then! Give us a quick review, it's a lot of money to be putting in to a CDP, I for one will be hanging on to my Apollo r for a good few years yet!

chebby said:
Singslinger said:
Congrats PP - I'm sure it'll give you hours of enjoyment.

They last a bit longer than that usually.

That reminds me PP, make sure you register your Naim online or using the postcard. Then your CD5i will be guaranteed for 5 years with Naim. (Even after the dealer's guarantee has expired). No registration, no 5 year guarantee.

Will do. Ta.

Have to confess I quite often have had a love/hate realtionship with Naim. Most of this is born from the time I dem'd the 5i amp on my kit. After half an hour of listening to this amp felt like I'd gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson. That initial xperience tainted my view of Naim, even though I admired them in shop dems. Time to eat humble pie.

In some respects I was relying on my gut instinct: I've never heard a Naim CDP with the Leema.

A few weeks ago a borrowed a Rega Dac to see whether it would 'pep up' the Arcam. It did, but not wholly satisfactory way. It sounded a little closed or characterless. By the same token, thanks to Chebby spotting a Rega Apollo on an Audio-T site, I found that to be detailed and crisp, however, the bass was little too lean for my taste. Sorry for the backstory.

Right... the Naim CD5i MKII, with the Leema doing the donkey work, sounds sublime. Immediately the attack and punch hits you with an iron fist, yet never overplays the music: Allied to this zeal is a huge amount of subtlety, and the dynamics bwtween the Leema, Naim and MAs is interesting and compelling. On paper it shouldn't work, but it does.

The Naim is a beautifully built machine, and on its own terms, wouldn't look out of place in any environment, let alone a crumby bungalow in Surrey. That said the combo of the Naim and Leema looks well... not great, quite frankly. Close you eyes and the looks really don't matter.

It's the first time I'm really starting to hear what the Leema can produce. In a word: Magic.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I must say the CD5i mk2 sounds a very interesting proposition - admittedly I have in the last year sunk over 1k into a transport & DAC and more than happy with the output of the Rega combo, CD is my secondary source with vinyl being my main source ( and very nice the RP3 is too), it's always Interesting to hear about other kit - maybe Naim will feature sometime in the future soon for me!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Have to confess I quite often have had a love/hate realtionship with Naim. Most of this is born from the time I dem'd the 5i amp on my kit. After half an hour of listening to this amp felt like I'd gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson. That initial xperience tainted my view of Naim, even though I admired them in shop dems. Time to eat humble pie.

In some respects I was relying on my gut instinct: I've never heard a Naim CDP with the Leema.

A few weeks ago a borrowed a Rega Dac to see whether it would 'pep up' the Arcam. It did, but not wholly satisfactory way. It sounded a little closed or characterless. By the same token, thanks to Chebby spotting a Rega Apollo on an Audio-T site, I found that to be detailed and crisp, however, the bass was little too lean for my taste. Sorry for the backstory.

Right... the Naim CD5i MKII, with the Leema doing the donkey work, sounds sublime. Immediately the attack and punch hits you with an iron fist, yet never overplays the music: Allied to this zeal is a huge amount of subtlety, and the dynamics bwtween the Leema, Naim and MAs is interesting and compelling. On paper it shouldn't work, but it does.

The Naim is a beautifully built machine, and on its own terms, wouldn't look out of place in any environment, let alone a crumby bungalow in Surrey. That said the combo of the Naim and Leema looks well... not great, quite frankly. Close you eyes and the looks really don't matter.

It's the first time I'm really starting to hear what the Leema can produce. In a word: Magic.

Chuffed for you PP! A bloody marvel the cd5i. First time I heard one I just couldn't resist getting it I was so smitten.

I understand the 5i comments although I love mine with the Neats. I got to hear my system using DVD5 into Rega Dac comparing Nait 5i to XS and boy was the XS a step up. Really made me appreciate how important the amp is and the extra power / control they bring over the speakers.

That's got to be my last piece then i'm done!

ATB Ambrose

Ambrose said:
plastic penguin said:

Chuffed for you PP! A bloody marvel the cd5i. First time I heard one I just couldn't resist getting it I was so smitten.

I understand the 5i comments although I love mine with the Neats. I got to hear my system using DVD5 into Rega Dac comparing Nait 5i to XS and boy was the XS a step up. Really made me appreciate how important the amp is and the extra power / control they bring over the speakers.

That's got to be my last piece then i'm done!

ATB Ambrose

Thanks, Ambrose.

Yeah, the Leema is in the same ballpark as the XS, and the levels of subtlety is staggering. Reviews suggest the Pulse is a bit of a 'One Trick Monkey' - total myth. And indeed it has certain traits that other price compatible amps can't match, such the speed of bass and imaging. With the Arcam I had the bones of a fabulous set-up, but now the Naim has put some flesh on the bones.

Anyway I've got till Saturday to decide, but to be honest, can't see myself missing this opportunity. :)

TRENDING THREADS