Yamaha X563 or X763 ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone confirm please if I can get HD master audio from the X563 ? I have a panny BD35 which does the onboard decoding, will this work with the 563 via an HDMI cable ? or do i need the 763 ?

Also what else does the 763 provide over the 563 other than HD sound ? I've compared the tech specs but its hard for the layman to know what the heck it all means..

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
As I understand it, the 563 will accept HD audio over HDMI only if decoded by the source, eg the BD player. I bought the 763 mainly because I wanted to use the pre-outs to run my front speakers off my NAD amp; the 563 does not have any pre-outs (except for Subwoofer). Otherwise, as I do not currently own a BD player (and have no plans to buy one until there exists one at a sensible price that will play multi channel audio from SACD and DVD-A discs), I would have probably gone for the cheaper (£195 online last time I looked) and slightly more diminutive 563.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
oldleodensian:As I understand it, the 563 will accept HD audio over HDMI only if decoded by the source, eg the BD player..

You understand correctly.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
forbes:

Also what else does the 763 provide over the 563 other than HD sound ? I've compared the tech specs but its hard for the layman to know what the heck it all means..

Apart from the lack of HD sound decoding and pre-outs already mentioned, I believe that the 563 also lacks video upconversion which basically means if you feed it anything but a hdmi or component signal it won't output it via hdmi.

A

Anonymous

mattjax05:Apart from the lack of HD sound decoding and pre-outs already mentioned, I believe that the 563 also lacks video upconversion which basically means if you feed it anything but a hdmi or component signal it won't output it via hdmi.

According to the tech specs sheet they both do video upconversion but no video scaling (whatever the difference is beats me! )

Anyway by the sounds of it all i need is the 563
emotion-1.gif

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
forbes:

According to the tech specs sheet they both do video upconversion but no video scaling (whatever the difference is beats me!

Video conversion is converting an incoming signal into something else for outputting (usually hdimi) i.e connecting a non compliant hdmi video device (old school dvd player) to the amp and the amp will take that signal and output it through hdmi.

Video scaling is the process of taking a lower resolution signal, scaling it and outputting a higher resolution signal (usually 720 or 1080)

Video scaling is not necessarily needed as most new equipment (dvd players, skyHD etc) are capable of outputting 1080p signals and as a last resort your HD tv will scale the signal to fit its resolution but the results differ depending on the said equipments ability to scale.

I would say video conversion is more important because you can add various types of non hd equipment to the amp and, in the 763 case, it will output these signals through hdmi (one cable) to the tv. However, the 763 does not scale any signal so if I feed it a 720 signal it will output a 720 signal.

Hope this helps......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts