Analogue audio or HDMI audio?

shotguncarver

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folks

Im in a dilemma i have the following tech:

Yamaha RXV-1900 AV Receiver

Yamaha BDS-1067 BD Player

Sony KDL-40HX723 TV (400Hz, Dynamic LED, 3D, X-Reality Pro Engine) - Awesome TV.

QED Signature HDMI Cables, QED Silver Anniversary Speaker Cables

Epos M Sub, Epos ELS303 Floorstanders, EPOS M5i Rears and Epos M8 Centre Speaker.

Now my TV is 3D however my receiver does not pass through 3D which means i would have to have HDMI from my blu-ray player going to my TV then use 7.1 Analogue outs to receiver for the audio which will still maintain HD Audio, however i am an audiohile and dont want to sacrifice audio quality just for 3D. Will Analogue audio give me the same or better sound quality then using HDMI, is the DAC any good on the BDS-1067 BD player to match my amp.

I dont want to fork out a lot of money on cables just to try it out, need to be sure first anyone got any suggestions?

Regards

Paul Carver

I have not tested the blu ray player you've got, but I understand it has a good quality DAC. The AV receiver has settings for loudspeaker distance, loudspeaker level, crossovers, room EQ etc. which gives it an advantage over a blu ray player for sonic performance. But if things are balanced by default, multichannel analogue audio can sound every bit as good as HDMI. It is unlikely to offer superior performance than HDMI for multichannel audio.

A

Anonymous

Speaker distance, level and crossover(size) can be adjusted in the BDS-1067 menu, so you should just be able to copy this from your Yamaha's current set-up. Depending on your room the results may not be quite as good as the YPAO with it's EQ though.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
how about twin HDMI out BD player and get some money back by auctioning your yammy bd player.

HDMI to amp for audio and other HDMI to tv for 3D

shotguncarver

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Cheers guys i have decided to try some Analog cables and give it a try, i used analog cables for SACD instead of HDMI and ive gotta say i think the sound is better through Analog it just sounds smoother and less sharp at the high end, however i got some more testing to do, HDMI is good for multichannel though.

I just wish there was a simple answer to all these debates, even Pioneer recommend on their £2000 Blu-Ray players to use Analog audio instead of HDMI, and still top end players insist on including Analog outputs.

Once ive tested the two technologies i will get back and submit my findings.

Regards

Paul C

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts