More decisions: Oppo 103 or Yamaha RX-V673?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I haven't lost it. I appreciate that I'm choosing between a BDP and receiver....

Currently, I have two BDPs, a Denon DVD2500BT (love this player, but of course it can't do 3D), and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120 (freebie with a TV purchase, does 3D, but only has 1 HDMI out).

My current receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1065, which again does a great job, but is only HDMI v. 1.3 capable (so no 3D pass through).

The objective is to end up with one just one 3D capable BDP and HD audio through my receiver. Hopefully that's not too complicated a description of my current system and overall goals.

As I see it, I can either replace both BDPs, or replace my receiver, selling old kit to soften the financial blow. So...

Option 1) Sell the Denon DVD2500BT and Panasonic DMP-BDT120, to be replaced with an Oppo 103. This would mean keeping the Yamaha RX-V1065, which can receive HD audio via the Oppo's 2nd HDMI out, using analogue interconnects (perhaps) for stereo duties.

Option 2) Sell the Denon DVD2500BT and Yamaha RX-V1065. This would mean keeping the Panasonic DMP-BDT120 as a 2D and 3D Blu-ray player, and buying the Yamaha RX-V673 (which of course will allow 3D pass through).

If I do the maths, there would be very little in it. And I wouldn't need to spend much whichever option I choose. It really boils down to which would be the best solution in terms of performance. My heart's pulling me toward the Oppo, but the Yamaha 1065 has always sounded a little polite to my ears. Replacing it with the Yamaha 673 might deliver a more appreciable upgrade overall...

Sorry if that all sounds complicated. I posted as I'm finding this decision tough. All thoughts and suggestions are therefore very welcome.
smiley-smile.gif

Hmmmm....that's a tough one! I'm assuming that Panasonic BDT500 / Sony S790 are not on your list of alternatives.

Few questions:

1) How is DVD upscaling performance of BDT120? And how important is DVD upscaling for you?

2) Do you want a universal player, or are content with just blu ray / DVD player?

Here are my thoughts:

1) An AV receiver is the heart of any AV system, & you have an opportunity to upgrade that. I would, however, recommend this receiver at the same price:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxa810/yama-rxa810-blk

I personally would keep the Panasonic BDT120 for disc spinning duties (you know my views on blu ray players well :). ).

2) However, if DVD upscaling is important for me, & upon demo, I feel Oppo is significantly superior to justify the price difference, I would seriously consider the Oppo. Of course, if I want SACD etc. capability, a universal player is a no brainer.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I haven't lost it. I appreciate that I'm choosing between a BDP and receiver....

Currently, I have two BDPs, a Denon DVD2500BT (love this player, but of course it can't do 3D), and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120 (freebie with a TV purchase, does 3D, but only has 1 HDMI out).

My current receiver is a Yamaha RXV-1065, which again does a great job, but is only HDMI v. 1.3 capable (so no 3D pass through).

The objective is to end up with one just one 3D capable BDP and HD audio through my receiver. Hopefully that's not too complicated a description of my current system and overall goals.

As I see it, I can either replace both BDPs, or replace my receiver, selling old kit to soften the financial blow. So...

Option 1) Sell the Denon DVD2500BT and Panasonic DMP-BDT120, to be replaced with an Oppo 103. This would mean keeping the Yamaha RX-V1065, which can receive HD audio via the Oppo's 2nd HDMI out, using analogue interconnects (perhaps) for stereo duties.

Option 2) Sell the Denon DVD2500BT and Yamaha RX-V1065. This would mean keeping the Panasonic DMP-BDT120 as a 2D and 3D Blu-ray player, and buying the Yamaha RX-V673 (which of course will allow 3D pass through).

If I do the maths, there would be very little in it. And I wouldn't need to spend much whichever option I choose. It really boils down to which would be the best solution in terms of performance. My heart's pulling me toward the Oppo, but the Yamaha 1065 has always sounded a little polite to my ears. Replacing it with the Yamaha 673 might deliver a more appreciable upgrade overall...

Sorry if that all sounds complicated. I posted as I'm finding this decision tough. All thoughts and suggestions are therefore very welcome.
smiley-smile.gif

If it was me I would be tempted to buy the Pioneer 450 Blu-ray player and the new Yamaha 673 amp and not put all your eggs into one basket.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
If it was me I would be tempted to buy the Pioneer 450 Blu-ray player and the new Yamaha 673 amp and not put all your eggs into one basket.

That's another possible solution, though a few things put me off the 450 (mostly to do with glitches, though it's apparently a little noisy in operation, too).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BB. Appreciate the alternative receiver suggestion, too.

In my view, the GT50 isn't brilliant at upscaling, though this is perhaps because I'm getting used to the larger screen. The Oppo's exemplary DVD upscaling therefore appeals. The Oppo would also be used as a CD (if not SACD) spinner and would certainly outperform the 120 here.

I still own quite a few DVDs and it would be good to get the most out of them (the Oppo would do this). I also own a fair few US DVDs and the Oppo can extract and playback 24p content from 60Hz encoded film material, which sounds great to me.

That said, the 120 does a very decent job when it comes to upscaling. The snob in me doesn't want a cheap looking BDP in my AV cabinet, and I suspect I'd eventually want to replace the 120, too, if going the receiver route. I'm not keen on spending a fortune overall and replacing my receiver would probably turn out to be the more expensive solution in the long run.

You were also right that PCM audio over optical would niggle me (that solution lasted about a day).
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

That's another possible solution, though a few things put me off the 450 (mostly to do with glitches, though it's apparently a little noisy in operation, too).

I see Sevenoaks are offering it with a £40 voucher which could go on the Pioneer.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/yamaha-rx-v673av-receiverreceive-%A340-sevenoaks-voucher?gclid=CNmc5pqg3rQCFaTMtAodGTsA6g&gclid=CNmc5pqg3rQCFaTMtAodGTsA6g

Have you read the What HiFi review of the Oppo?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Nothing compares to a personal demo. Even though Pioneer may have got an excellent review, gremlins remain, based on all the forum discussions & reported problems.

£500 seems like a lot of money on the Oppo now though. Strange that 3 or 4 people are backing the new Pioneers if they do have gremlins?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:

I see Sevenoaks are offering it with a £40 voucher which could go on the Pioneer.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/yamaha-rx-v673av-receiverreceive-%A340-sevenoaks-voucher?gclid=CNmc5pqg3rQCFaTMtAodGTsA6g&gclid=CNmc5pqg3rQCFaTMtAodGTsA6g

Have you read the What HiFi review of the Oppo?

Thanks for the link Gel.

WHF haven't reviewed the Oppo 103 yet, but AV Forums awarded it reference status in a very thorough review.

Meanwhile, I'm giving the 120 a thorough road test. It hasn't put a foot wrong so far (and it's silent in operation, which is important to me). The only problem is that the 120 doesn't have 2 HDMI outs, which of course becomes irrelevant if I upgrade my receiver.

Thinking about this financially, I'd also get more for the Yamaha 1065 than I'd get for selling the Panasonic 120. In fact, I'd likely cover the cost of a new receiver if I sold my Denon BDP and Yamaha receiver.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
Upgrading the avr may also add something to your speakers :)

That's my thinking. The upgrade in sound may well be more appreciable than any advantages gained in terms of video performance with the Oppo.

Then again, the Oppo would trounce the 120 as a music player. This one's giving me a headache...

gel said:
bigboss said:
Nothing compares to a personal demo. Even though Pioneer may have got an excellent review, gremlins remain, based on all the forum discussions & reported problems.

£500 seems like a lot of money on the Oppo now though. Strange that 3 or 4 people are backing the new Pioneers if they do have gremlins?

A single review against doesn't change my view of the Oppo. In medicine, we depend on meta analysis, & not decide on treatment based on just 1 study or research. Isn't any different here.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
OK, I read the WHF Oppo 103 review.

I find it utterly bizarre that the Oppo received a three star review in an respected magazine, yet is awarded reference status by HDTV Test. Something strange is going on somehwere... :?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The review is an anomaly among other reviews. I would demo it and add the 715 and bdt500 to your list.

After viewing these players on plasma, LED and projectors the Oppo wins for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts