Yamaha RX-765 AV Amp - Thoughts please?

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking at replacing my aging Marantz SR4200 AV Amp with the above. The Yamaha is the ONLY amp that I have found with pre-outs and a depth measurement of 365 mm (same as the Marantz). I can't fit anything deeper than that on my rack, so my choices of amps are limited (budget of £500)!

Has anyone heard/own one of these? If so, what are your thoughts on the overall sound quality etc?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

If you'd like to stick with Marantz try out Marantz SR-6003 AV. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and i'm more than pleased with AV and stereo output, its also the size you require. Give it a test against the Yamaha 765, i did and i chose the Marantz

What Hi-Fi never tested the SR6003 but it is discussed in this forum (http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/165192.aspx) [EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES]

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
vanceg:

If you'd like to stick with Marantz try out Marantz SR-6003 AV. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and i'm more than pleased with AV and stereo output, its also the size you require. Give it a test against the Yamaha 765, i did and i chose the Marantz

What Hi-Fi never tested the SR6003 but it is discussed in this forum (http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/165192.aspx) [EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES]

Thanks Vanceg. Looks a lovely amp. I'm afraid it's a little too deep (as all the new Marantz ones are) for my rack I'm afraid at 388 mm and slightly outside my budget. Thanks for your suggestion though
emotion-1.gif

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProdSpecs&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=3794&type=avr&series=comp

A

Anonymous

Hi smbmetal , my mate has just bought the Yamaha 765 which I heard in both dem room and his house with bose AM 6 speakers and IMO its an excelent amp.Although it will sound quite different to the Marantz 4200 which I owned a good few years ago myself.The Yamaha has a warmer sound than the bright sounding Marantz.Not to say either is bad or good ,just different.So it would be a good idea to audition the Yam first ,to make sure you like the change in sound.If you live in the north west my local hifi shop ,'Wilkinsons' in Nelson Lancs sell both Marantz and Yamaha amps so you could do a side by side comparison and they do trade-ins too.So you could use your old amp to bring the price down a bit.Buy the the way unfortunately they're closed for summer hols 'til Aug 14th I think.Any how I don't think you'll be' disapointed with the Yamaha but let your ears do the spending.

A

Anonymous

Still thought the 765 was a little harsh (brite) and would be more of a problem to speaker match, especially when you match potential speaker expenditure to a relatively cheap amp.

Just my opinion

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks vanceg and celluloidzombie for your thoughts and comments. I use my AV amp occasionally for movies. I'm more serious in listening to music so I need preouts to connect it to my Rotels. I think the Yamaha is the ONLY amp that has preouts is fully HD'd etc and is 365 mm deep to fit in my rack. To be honest I still like my old Marantz and it's still going strong, but I'm going to be upgrading my old JVC CRT to a new Sony TV so thought I'd upgrade my AV amp at the same time and buy a blu-ray player to go with them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts