Yamaha RN500 discuss!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Riksta73 said:
Is wired networking and digital input worth £250 as you can get the AS500 for £199?

Depends I guess, I only paid £350.00 and, even without gapless, I'm happy. There are deals to be had online to lesson that gap, I'm not holding my breath for gapless anytime soon so my Mike Oldfield stuff will remain a 'cd only' choice for the timebeing. :rockout:

Timot

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Just got this amp one month ago. I use it only with airplay. One problem I have though is that sometimes no sound is comming out of my speakers (amp is displaying the music on screen)... Although I shut it down and on again and have the latest firmwire it just won't work. And the day after it's working again... Is there any solution to this ?

Thanks

Zappa Doc

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Timot said:
Just got this amp one month ago. I use it only with airplay. One problem I have though is that sometimes no sound is comming out of my speakers (amp is displaying the music on screen)... Although I shut it down and on again and have the latest firmwire it just won't work. And the day after it's working again... Is there any solution to this ?

Thanks

big issue here with my r-n500. almost the same symptome i.e. no sound on speakers but in almost all input mode, NET (including net-radio and server), Optical, USB, only tuner and CD continue to work... if I enter the Advanced Setup and Init ALL (reset the amp) everything work as expected until the firmware bug again... very frustrating as it's a new amp (bought 2 days ago) and when it works the sound is amazing... I do not know what to do...

For example:

- I have an onkyo CD player so I connected it to the CD input and it works, then I connected it to the Optical 1 input as it provides an Optical out but this time no sound... :(

if I check the signal (option > signal info) I get PCM/44.1/2 ch. so the signal is recognized but no sound until I reset the amp or power off/on several times...

- the same, using the NET Radio or my Audio server (DLNA), everything work as expected until the bug occurs... intit/ALL reset the amp and then this works again...

This is really weird...cause after googleling the issue, I didn't find any entry, no one seems to have this problem... is there a way to contact the yamaha assistance...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Zappa Doc said:
Timot said:

Thanks

big issue here with my r-n500. almost the same symptome i.e. no sound on speakers but in almost all input mode, NET (including net-radio and server), Optical, USB, only tuner and CD continue to work... if I enter the Advanced Setup and Init ALL (reset the amp) everything work as expected until the firmware bug again... very frustrating as it's a new amp (bought 2 days ago) and when it works the sound is amazing... I do not know what to do...

For example:

- I have an onkyo CD player so I connected it to the CD input and it works, then I connected it to the Optical 1 input as it provides an Optical out but this time no sound... :(

if I check the signal (option > signal info) I get PCM/44.1/2 ch. so the signal is recognized but no sound until I reset the amp or power off/on several times...

- the same, using the NET Radio or my Audio server (DLNA), everything work as expected until the bug occurs... intit/ALL reset the amp and then this works again...

This is really weird...cause after googleling the issue, I didn't find any entry, no one seems to have this problem... is there a way to contact the yamaha assistance...

If the amp is brand new and faulty, be it hardware, firmware or software, take it back and ask for one that works.

You should not have to put up with this if your diagnoses is correct.

Zappa Doc

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, the second one have the same issue, I strongly suggest to not update your firmware if you are happy with your rn500...

I taken a Pioneer VSX-824K HC amp which have the same NET/USB features (needed for this room) but obviously, the sound is really not bad but not comparable to the yamaha...

All NET / USB features work like a charm and this is the most important for me...

davedotco said:
Zappa Doc said:
Timot said:

Thanks

For example:

If the amp is brand new and faulty, be it hardware, firmware or software, take it back and ask for one that works.

You should not have to put up with this if your diagnoses is correct.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Old thread.....

I'm always impressed with how Yamaha amps fair with customer feedback.

Being a Yamaha amp owner myself. Stacks up well against other 'quality' brands.

Underrated brand outside of AV amps.

Just wanted to say.

Watson

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
It should be such that I plug the cable into the receiver where it says 'phones' and the sound shuts off from the speakers and just comes through the headphones. However, this isn't the case. I've tried turning the volume right off on the receiver but it also goes off on the headphones. Nothing happens when I turn up the volume on the headphones.

These are Sennheiser R170 wireless headphones.

Any ideas?

Br1bn

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've stored my music library on a USB micro pen and I'm perfectly able to stream all the music but I ha ve to browse all the folders (for artists and albums) to play music and shuffle&repeat works just inside the folder.

Do you know if there is a way to create a playlist and stream it? I tried with a .m3u but it doesn't read the file.

I wrote to yamaha support but they weren't so useful, any ideas/workarounds?

Thanks in advance

Bruno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts