Yamaha RN500 discuss!

catw4x

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Seriously thinking of getting this amp over my A30. Just like that it has everything I need in 1 box. good power, airplay, usb, digital in, sub out, dac.

Has anyone got one and have any opinion on it vs pioneer A30? I do like the A30, very warm and good bass and the clarity jump with loudness is amazing, but its lacking the connections. Would there be a big sound sig difference? I want to audition but I think Richer sounds may be sick of me now!

Reximouse

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a Yamaha RN500 receiver in spite of not being able to locate any independent reviews based on actual listening. Still can't find any! It was a punt on Yamaha's musical reputation - but all good.

I wanted to get out of the ""home theatre" scene both because of a home downsizing and a wish to re-focus on music reproduction, ie stereo. At first I was going to keep my 5 channel Nakamichi AV10, (like it had cost me a ton), and just keep my excellent Sonus Faber front speakers. But then I thought, why? Big heavy box, runs hot, good but compromised stereo, no internet, no wireless connection with computer, IPhone or Pad. Yesterday's technology.

The RN500 seemed to tick all the boxes and it has turned out to be a real performer. Stereo from CD 's has unbelievable presence, it blows me and fellow audiophiles away with a rich but powerfully clear sound. It makes the expensive Nakamichi seem very ordinary. Excellent local FM radio sound (eg ABC Classic FM 105.9) and the internet is very good.

The Receiver/Tuner/Internet/Wireless (etc, etc) connectivity capabilities are all I hoped for. (Like, who needs crappy DAB?!). And all sourced via a free, and easy to use, IPad/smart phone app. You can do it on the remote, but its clunky and not much fun. The manual is good, just wish I had done set up with the Pad & App. I have seen posts knocking a perceived need for an Ethernet hard wire connection from computer or modem. Uh?! I just plugged it into my house network via the room's existing Mac wireless extender, which is called an Airport Express. I had this altready to boost my town house wireless coverage. I found the set up a bit complicated, as older folk do, and the "V Tuner" computer setting of "favourites" a new concept, but once understood, easy to use and accessing worldwide stations (and other input sources) from the IPad a real breeze. One important tip, for the best sound, connect source inputs such as CD player, TV and Blue Ray via the co-ax and optical options for best lossless sound, not the defaults which are RCA.

Being an early adopter, in an overpriced Australin market, I probably paid too much, but at less than a $grand it is incredible value and less than a third the cost of its prestigious Nakamichi predecessor. Love it!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I can pretty much echo what's been said, I purchased one of these in place of a Sonos - dac - amp combination and have been surprised at how good the RN500 is. I have it connected to my NAS wired via the home network and the initial setup was the easiest I've ever encountered with a streaming device. The app is a bit clunky and for some reason, whilst streaming, I cannot pause the music..bit strange!. The vTuner, as Reximouse has said, is easy to use once the penny has dropped! and I'm also quite happy to do without DAB which I really do not like.

The only thing it is really lacking is Spotify which I know is on the way via a firmware update soonish but at least you can still stream it it via Airplay (1st time for me!)

As a straight forward amp it is clean with good power and resolution, as I said, I was not expecting miracles for the £360 that I paid for it but it has surprised me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm.

80 Watts per channel.

FM

AirPlay

Two optical inputs.

And only £450. I didn't even know this existed. (And it's listed on their UK website.)

I cannot find any reviews for this model so thanks for yours.

At last, a sub £500 alternative to the Marantz M-CR610. (No built-in CD player or DAB like the Marantz but that's not too important to a lot of people.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How 'robust' is AirPlay with the Yamaha? Mine - with my Marantz M-CR603 - has been totally reliable (with no dropouts or other nasties) for the whole 3 years I have owned it.

(100 percent bomb-proof AirPlay is an absolute essential for me and not just a 'nice to have')

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Review is in latest issue of hifi choice. I've had some time with one of these, seems to perform very well for the money. Being to login directly to Pandora is handy too.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby said:
How 'robust' is AirPlay with the Yamaha? Mine - with my Marantz M-CR603 - has been totally reliable (with no dropouts or other nasties) for the whole 3 years I have owned it.

(100 percent bomb-proof AirPlay is an absolute essential for me and not just a 'nice to have')

So far there's been no dropouts but I haven't really given it much time yet

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
chebby said:

I just noticed that you hang Spendor SA1s off the end of your R-N500. What were you using before?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby said:
mitch65 said:
chebby said:

I just noticed that you hang Spendor SA1s off the end of your R-N500. What were you using before?

I had a Sonos, irDAC and a Naim NAIT XS but circumstances changed :( . I was going to get some Dali Zensor 3 speakers to replace the SA1s but they were just to big and to be honest I would be heartbroken to see the 'baby Spendors' go

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
chebby said:
mitch65 said:
chebby said:

I had a Sonos, irDAC and a Naim NAIT XS but circumstances changed :(

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I hope things improve very soon.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby said:
mitch65 said:
chebby said:
mitch65 said:
chebby said:

I had a Sonos, irDAC and a Naim NAIT XS but circumstances changed :(

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I hope things improve very soon.

Cheers Chebby but it was self-inflicted. It's surprising how the price differential hasn't translated into a big performance drop...law of diminishing returns I guess ;)

tommie_boi

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I've bought it from Superfi just after release date and i loved it since. It replaced Naim Unitilite, which was such a pile of monkey s..t, in terms of use and reliability.

So what's on offer here? Build quality is rather nice, obviously it is not sophisticated but you can't expect it for the price. For example tone and balance controls are made of plastic, rear connectors are not gold plated and speaker connectors could be more robust.

On the other hand, it looks stunning, that retro look is really nice. All the digital inputs are so usefull, Apple TV, Playstation, DVD player, you name it, it can all be connected.

Fantastic phono, i've used it with Project Debut Carbon and it sounded fantastic. I need to save some money and go for Michell Gyro iconic turntable :)

Airplay is there but i don't use it often, i decided to go for internet adapter instead of Yamaha's overpriced adapter and it works fine. Internet radio is so much fun, you can browse by genre, location etc. Lot of fun.

CD player analogue input is really good, i have my Onkyo c7070 hooked up (one of the best cd players on the market imho, grab one while you can) and it's a winner.

I use my R-N500 with Epos Epic 2 and Yamaha's own YST-050 sub and i could not be happier. The speakers are outstanding, we all know it, but that subwoofer... I did not expect much for the price but it is better than my old Rel Stampede. And of course you can connect it to R-N500's sub input with just one single cable.

So there you have it, for £450 you simply can't go wrong with R-N500. Features, digital inputs, excellent phono and cd inputs, great look and fantastic sound. I listen to a lot of rock and metal and guitar solos sound fantastic, midrange is very good, so are highs. I've had Pioneer A70, Unitilite and Creek Evolution A50 before Yamaha and i don't miss them at all.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I know I keep bleeting on about Spotify Connect, but it'd be useful if Yammy RN-500 owners could post something when the Spotify Connect firmware update actually arrives in the UK (or indeed elsewhere).

I notice from Creative Audio's website, they advertise it already, but indicate that the firmware update is required. I can't imagine I'm entirely alone in thinking that once this arrives, that the RN-500 will positively fly off the dealers' shelves.

It's so frustrating that more stereo amp manufacturers don't take up Spotify Connect.
wall.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Leeps said:
I know I keep bleeting on about Spotify Connect, but it'd be useful if Yammy RN-500 owners could post something when the Spotify Connect firmware update actually arrives in the UK (or indeed elsewhere).

I notice from Creative Audio's website, they advertise it already, but indicate that the firmware update is required. I can't imagine I'm entirely alone in thinking that once this arrives, that the RN-500 will positively fly off the dealers' shelves.

It's so frustrating that more stereo amp manufacturers don't take up Spotify Connect.
wall.gif

I feel for you Leeps, I bought mine from Creative Audio and I too saw Spotify Connect waving at me from the web page. To be fair I did know that Spotify was imminent and I've just seen an update from Yamaha on 14th April that the update is for the Spring...it is Spring!! As far as I'm concerned that will be the icing on the cake to a very good piece of hardware, the build may not be Naim standards but I do not care - it looks good and sounds good :D

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you believe the marketing blurb then it's effectively an S500 with the network capabilities, having not heard the S500 I couldn't tell you if this is true or not.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I notice that according to the Yamaha website (UK), that it states, "Spotify Connect is already available on 2013 released Yamaha stereo receiver and micro component system via a firmware update."

Are any R-N500 owners able to confirm this?

The way I read the news release (dated 14.4.14) was that Spotify Connect would be rolled out to other products in the Spring, but that, as per the statement above, it could already be accessed via the latest firmware update on the stereo receiver and micro systems.

The website adds, "Yamaha stereo receiver and micro component system owners (see complete list below) that have a Spotify Premium account can now enjoy instant access to millions of songs in high-quality on their Yamaha HiFi system...

Spotify Connect compatible models*:

Stereo Receiver: R-N500
Micro Component System: MCR-N560 / MCR-N560D

*Firmware update is required to enable Spotify Connect."

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The 2013 Receivers that Yamaha are talking about does not include the R-NS500, the firmware update for this is due sometime soon but no actual date is given yet. I've tried updating mine but no new updates.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Features wise, the Yamaha has everything you dreamed of. Sound quality wise, the Marantz PM6005 is much better. The Yamaha will sound flat, muffled compared to the crystal clear sound of the Marantz.

tommie_boi

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I have spoken to Yamaha rep in Bristol during the WHF show. He said the receivers got the Spotify Connect in the first place simply because they sell well, in the end it is all about the money. So even though R-N 500 is mostly dedicated to music, unlike receivers, we simply have to wait.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
tommie_boi said:
I have spoken to Yamaha rep in Bristol during the WHF show. He said the receivers got the Spotify Connect in the first place simply because they sell well, in the end it is all about the money. So even though R-N 500 is mostly dedicated to music, unlike receivers, we simply have to wait.

That's a bit chicken and egg though isn't it?

Haven't manufacturers figured out the reason things might not sell well is because they don't have the features people want?

Is it accidental that the Marantz MCR610 is such a good seller?

Currently the only ways to get Spotify through your home stereo system are;

Mac mini (very expensive if you only really want Spotify)

Sonos Connect - not too expensive, but debatable sound quality and if you want to stream hi-res too, you'll need ANOTHER box anyway

Airplay - works for me ok, but not for everyone depending on their network. Does eat up your ipad battery too (as does Bluetooth)

So if more stereo products had Spotify included (how about the Pioneer N50 for example - a "one-box" bolt-on streaming solution that lacks Spotify so you have to buy an extra box (or use Airplay)), then people might buy them in larger numbers. How many million people have Spotify accounts and would like to listen to their playlists through their hifi but don't want to buy 5.1 AV receivers?

There must be a huge gap in the market here.

dancapp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
The R-N500 is great but lacks one vital feature (thus far) - gapless playback. Without this a network player is no substitute for a good old-fashioned CD collection.

TRENDING THREADS