Yamaha RN500 db where is safe without clipping ?

unlucki

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Oh knowledgeable ones ;-)

I have a Yamaha RN500, which I am perfectly happy with.

It is connected to an RP1 with performance pack via a project MM box (thought it may be better than onboard?) QAcoustics 3050, Marantz CD6005 and play digital from an iMac 27 via Audioquest Dragonfly.

All good to me only thing is the volume....I have attempted to research on Google,my best understanding id 0db is ref level i.e max I seem to be running on all inputs around minus 35 - 37 which bear with me, would be around 1 to 2 o'clock in old fashioned money lol.

The amp therefore I feel is working very hard to put out a signal which is certainly not loud in fact if I close the door on the den you cannot really hear it ??? Sitting in my listening position its good but not that loud, is this down to speaker sensitivity ? I had dali 3's before they seemed louder ? Should I change the impedance on the Yamaha ? Any thoughts most welcome and sorry if a stupid question ;-) Or do I need a more powerful amp ?

Many Thanks in Advance for any help

Unlucki

gasolin

unlucki said:
Hi Oh knowledgeable ones ;-)

I have a Yamaha RN500, which I am perfectly happy with.

It is connected to an RP1 with performance pack via a project MM box (thought it may be better than onboard?) QAcoustics 3050, Marantz CD6005 and play digital from an iMac 27 via Audioquest Dragonfly.

All good to me only thing is the volume....I have attempted to research on Google,my best understanding id 0db is ref level i.e max I seem to be running on all inputs around minus 35 - 37 which bear with me, would be around 1 to 2 o'clock in old fashioned money lol.

The amp therefore I feel is working very hard to put out a signal which is certainly not loud in fact if I close the door on the den you cannot really hear it ??? Sitting in my listening position its good but not that loud, is this down to speaker sensitivity ? I had dali 3's before they seemed louder ? Should I change the impedance on the Yamaha ? Any thoughts most welcome and sorry if a stupid question ;-) Or do I need a more powerful amp ?

Many Thanks in Advance for any help

Unlucki

You can't change the impedans of the amp only the speakers

Just use as it you like, as long as theres no distortion your fine

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Your speakers are rated at 6 ohms, which is right in the middle of 4 or 8. I don't know what settings are on the Yamaha, but it may be worth experimenting.

Your speakers are 92db sensitivity which is really good. They should produce good volume output with ease. I'm not sure but looking at your amp it appears it may have a digital volume control and therefore there are no clock positions on the dial so to speak. I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. You're in the -30's which is quite a way off 0db. If you were saying that you were listening at -10 and it wasn't loud then you'd have a problem.

As for where clipping occurs will depend on the source and source material. Digital sources will likely clip earlier on the scale than a turntable would for example. You'll know when you're into clipping. If the volume is comfortable and pleasant you are no where near clipping.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
-37db is pretty loud download an SPL app and check the amp it'll be punching close to 90db+ I'm sure.

The Yamaha if like mine is very well attenuated most amps are close to peak at around 9o'clock the Yamaha's have a wider sweep on the volume dial, that's a good thing.

Don't worry

unlucki

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok plot thickens its not me honest ! At -25db on the amp I am getting average 65-70 on spl till seems quiet to me ! I have tried a cople of appls to make sure but seems fairy consistent ??? I have to take it to -20 or -15 on amp to get it at a decent level ???

Do I need a more poweful amp or am I ok driving the yamaha this hard ?

Many Thanks

Trev

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
unlucki said:
Ok plot thickens its not me honest ! At -25db on the amp I am getting average 65-70 on spl till seems quiet to me ! I have tried a cople of appls to make sure but seems fairy consistent ??? I have to take it to -20 or -15 on amp to get it at a decent level ???

Many Thanks

Trev

What's the measured spl at your listening position at -15 on the dial?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
unlucki said:

Many Thanks

Trev

?

The RP1 is a turntable..... The output from a turntable/phono will usually be lower than a cdplayers output. Plus you'll be hampered by the eq levels of most of your vinyl.

Although 70db ain't too shabby. The eq level of the vinyl compared with the level of your amp is turned upto is fine.

But if you switch to a CD player you'll need to turn it down.

My Yamaha is 90wpc at -40db is hitting 90db+ through 6ohm speakers@3.5m to 4m using CD. That's considered 'loud music'.....

I don't use vinyl.....

But that maybe the cause of your 'low volume' levels.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Think I'm missing the point, if you find it too quiet then turn it up. But how far you sitting away from your speakers? Accepting that an SPL app on a phone is not accurate unless you can calibrate it, if you're getting 70dB at your seating position then that's not what I call quiet. Dificult to ask this without sounding sarcastic but do you think you might be suffering hearing loss, at least slightly?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Think I'm missing the point, if you find it too quiet then turn it up. But how far you sitting away from your speakers? Accepting that an SPL app on a phone is not accurate unless you can calibrate it, if you're getting 70dB at your seating position then that's not what I call quiet. Dificult to ask this without sounding sarcastic but do you think you might be suffering hearing loss, at least slightly?

I didn't want to say.....

But in fairness that's a good question.....

unlucki

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Fair point though guys.....maybe I just have high expectations ! Of course on CD and digital the volume does not need to be as high.

Many Thanks for all responses though.

Cheers

Unlucki

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts