Yamaha R-N500 Network receiver. The future of stereo amplification?

iMark

Could this be the one box solution for a modern stereo setup?

http://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-n500_g/?mode=model

I really like the most of the features of this box of tricks.

- Phono in (MM)

- Coax and optical inputs

- DNLA and Airplay

- FM/AM tuner

- vTuner

- Spotify connect after firmware update

- iPod/USB input

-- 2x80W output

- switchable impedance for speakers

- supports up to 24/192 files

- Recommended retail price EUR 449

There are however a few things I don't like about it.

- networking only through ethernet! I really don't want to run an ethernet cable from the meter cupboard where our router/modem is to the living room.

- Even though it supports Airplay and iPods/iPhones it's not quite clear if it supports Apple Lossless files.

- No DAB/DAB+

However, in our situation it could replace the current Denon stereo receiver, the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and the Airport Express. I suppose I could install an ethernet cable and install an ethernet switch and wire up the TV and the Humax box too. OTOH, the Mrs wouldn't like extra cables running through the house.

I wonder how many people would be interested in this box of tricks if it can only be networked through an ethernet cable. How many people actually have an ethernet socket near their stereo? Does Yamaha miss a trick here by not going wifi and not even offering a wifi dongle?

But considering the list of features, it's quite a stunning box for the price. i wonder how good the DAC is they put in and the phono pre-amp.

Maybe this can spur on other manufacturers to produce modern solutions for amplification. I find it mindboggling that there are so few stereo amps with digital inputs and decent DAC and networking possibilities.

iMark

Good point about the Homeplugs. I'd forgotten about those. :)

I suppose I could even plug in an ethernet switch into the Homeplug and network all devices (TV, Humax box and bluray player) rather than depending on the current wifi. But since wifi seems to work rather well in the house, no need for upgrading yet.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
iMark said:
Good point about the Homeplugs. I'd forgotten about those. :)

I suppose I could even plug in an ethernet switch into the Homeplug and network all devices (TV, Humax box and bluray player) rather than depending on the current wifi. But since wifi seems to work rather well in the house, no need for upgrading yet.

there are some homeplugs that have integrated switches, I think D-Link did a few, including one that automatically detects how many sockets are being used, and 'ups' the bandwidth of used sockets.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
npoguy said:
thanks for taking the time to enlighten me...however, the post wasn't directed to you

NGxcHmx.jpg

:rofl:

T

the record spot

This functionality has been around for a while in Onkyo's gear. True, no Airplay but that's no biggie for me as the Apple TV3 provides that. No DAB won't be a problem as your vTuner service has that covered, or Freeview radio.

But as an earlier poster said, the TX-8050 had the majority of this covered some time ago.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
i was :twisted: when i heard about this...couple of months ago i bought yamaha as500 amp and now i could buy for the same money networked amp/player :twisted: yamaha i will never forget this :wall:

i dont know whats the deal with airplay though? if some network player has internet radio i'd rather use that instead of draining battery on my ipad for sending music over airplay...

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Adding that many gizmo's to a stereo amp has got to have some form of impact to the sound quality though, surely? If it were me I'd stick with an Apple TV or something along those lines as a seperate.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Tarxman said:
Adding that many gizmo's to a stereo amp has got to have some form of impact to the sound quality though, surely? If it were me I'd stick with an Apple TV or something along those lines as a seperate.

separates are over rated...especially in the times of digital...i have friend who is claiming how in built dac in his yamaha av receiver sounds better than HRT dac...

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Tarxman said:
Adding that many gizmo's to a stereo amp has got to have some form of impact to the sound quality though, surely?

I've posted before (& been shot down in flames) that it seems a little odd that the very same manufacturers who have been telling us for 30-40 years that the only way to go is separates, are now falling over themselves to cram as much functionality as they can into an all-in-one. And shock horror, it sounds OK.

T

the record spot

Wouldn't surprise me, the one in my Onkyo is excellent.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I was a little sceptical myself, but having just gone from an Onkyo TX-NR905 AVR, to dedicated 2 channel gear, I feel it's pretty safe to say that there is a significant difference.

Big enough that even the girlfriend has noticed how much more detail is in the music. I know however, not everyone has the space to fit separates, but what I'm saying is if you can, you would be pretty surprised by the difference in performance.

T

the record spot

Having gone from 2-channel amps to the AV one I have just now, it's equally safe to say that works as well in the opposite direction too.

T

the record spot

And Yamaha had their hard disk recorder about ten years back. What goes round....!

TRENDING THREADS