Yamaha HS8

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
HS8 model is rated at 120 watts - dynamic power; power consumption is 60 W.. that tells me max continous power is 60watts max per speaker. Hard to find any other info on the net.

also, no information on crossover used; manual mention crossover point only..

Have you got guys any guess regarding power/ crossover ?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
HS8 model is rated at 120 watts - dynamic power; power consumption is 60 W.. that tells me max continous power is 60watts max per speaker. Hard to find any other info on the net.

also, no information on crossover used; manual mention crossover point only..

Have you got guys any guess regarding power/ crossover ?

My guess is that it would be a 4th order crossover. They're the most common type used for actives.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Power ratings for active speakers are different. The work in a bandwith limited environment and drive the dive units direct, this requires much less power than most comparable amp/speaker combination as there is no 'insertion loss' from a passive crossover.

It has become customary to quote 'continuous power' for such speakers, so the 75 + 45 watts are probably realistic when playing music.

The power supply rating of 60 watts is of course for one channel, so about the same as a budget amplifier such as the PM6005.

The weakest point of this design is, I feel, the enclosure, a little boomy for my tastes. For most people the HS7 is a better option for hi-fi, unless maximum bass output is your primary requirement.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. The cabinet is made from the same cartboard like "MDF" my LSR305s are, but even thinner and for a bigger speaker. The same horribly cheap glued ports, paper thin plate amp. Might this add to the boomyness?

yamaha-hs8-back-open.jpg

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, you really need to keep in mind how little you pay for these entry level actives. With that in mind, you really can't expect anything special in terms of build quality.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are budget speakers and pretty good in practice. The drive units are fine, nothing fancy, but ok.

In my experience MDF is a great material for small enclosures but large unsurported panels can have a 'drum' like resonance that is hard to damp. Clearly audible when compared to a better 8 inch monitor, such as the Adam, though of course the Adam is much more expensive.

Unless you absolutely have to have the maximum bass output, the smaller HS7 is a better all round speaker in my judgement.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
HS series built quality is ok.. sound quality is better then Rega RS3, Kef Q300 or Dali Zensor 3 ( all compared side by side) and as computer speakers these Yamaha's are great.

I probably should write a little review of the HS8 and RS3 as the Rega's are the dearest of the 3 speakers I've directly comapred with Yamaha's and of the worst bulit and sound quality..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts