Question Suitable amp for MB Quart 690 floorstanding speakers

Jezza

May 16, 2021
Visit site
I've just bought a set of MB Quart 690 floorstanding speakers off gumtree. Made in Germany and I believe one owner from new. I've received conflicting advice on what power of amplifier I need to get. I appreciate that claimed power output can be dubious (e.g. Denon is misleading compared to Cambridge audio)

I'm building a cheap system just now to get into hifi, possible will look into getting something high end in the future and going down the vinyl route.

With a budget of 100 to 300 quid for an amp to match the speakers, what would you go for? (used)

I'm not too bothered about inputs as I plan on getting a dac and will connect things to that. Possibly will use a mixture of Bluetooth adaptor and USB input

Specs of the speakers, 4 ohms,
Rated power handling 90 watts

Music power handling 120 watts

I had an offer of buying a NAD C 315BEE for 75 quid but I'm not sure it's powerful enough (this is where the conflicting advice comes in as someone said this would be fine and others have said I need 150 Watts per channel)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_105530.jpg
    IMG_20210515_105530.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5
What sized room have you? For 90% of the time 25watts would be plenty, but 4 ohms is a load that weedy amps don’t like. A NAD is pretty load tolerant though and it should be quite suitable unless you’re into
stadium rock in a forty foot room!

The ‘advice’ for 150 watts is silly.

Reactions: Jezza

Jezza

May 16, 2021
Visit site
What sized room have you? For 90% of the time 25watts would be plenty, but 4 ohms is a load that weedy amps don’t like. A NAD is pretty load tolerant though and it should be quite suitable unless you’re into
stadium rock in a forty foot room!

The ‘advice’ for 150 watts is silly.
Thanks for the advice nopiano! What would you recommend buying for listening to a variety of music, mostly moderate to loud and occasionally very loud and looking to fill the room?

Thanks for the advice nopiano! What would you recommend buying for listening to a variety of music, mostly moderate to loud and occasionally very loud and looking to fill the room?
That’s a big space, and I can’t find specs on your speakers for sensitivity. I’ve never heard any either.
For under £100 a decent amp like the NAD is worth a punt. But used and three times the price is harder to say, because of condition and serviceability are important in judging where to spend your cash. I personally favour brands like Marantz and Arcam for good basic engineering and sound that’s easily serviced. But there’s so much choice!

What’s the rest of your system?

Jezza

May 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks nopiano.

I'm just building the system now,.all I have is the speakers which were 75 pounds. Plan is connect a DAC to the amplifier and then play high quality audio files via a laptop. I've not bought the DAC yet though, waiting to get a suitable amplifier first.

Thanks nopiano.

I'm just building the system now,.all I have is the speakers which were 75 pounds. Plan is connect a DAC to the amplifier and then play high quality audio files via a laptop. I've not bought the DAC yet though, waiting to get a suitable amplifier first.
In that case we aren’t looking for a phono stage or anything fancy. Tbh, I’d not be keen to spend too much right now. In fact, you might consider a power amp because quite a few DACs have a preamp, like the popular ifi Zen DAC.
Are you regular buyer on eBay/gumtree, because that’s where the bargains are if you’re caerful?

Jezza

May 16, 2021
Visit site
In that case we aren’t looking for a phono stage or anything fancy. Tbh, I’d not be keen to spend too much right now. In fact, you might consider a power amp because quite a few DACs have a preamp, like the popular ifi Zen DAC.
Are you regular buyer on eBay/gumtree, because that’s where the bargains are if you’re caerful?
Was just reading some reviews of the zen products today actually. They seem like amazing bang for buck. Yep, I'm a fan of gumtree especially and also look on ebay.

Do you think 100 Watts per channel would be plenty then?

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 116933

This NAD would light the fire under the belly of those speakers

Plenty serviceable if needs be, id be truly happy with this amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nopiano and Jezza

Jezza

May 16, 2021
Visit site
Cheers millenia one much appreciated. I put a (perhaps cheeky) offer of £275 in which was declined. Its amazing how much the equipment holds its value really.

Perhaps a good quality power amp makes the most sense if a DAC which has USB input and decent quality Bluetooth is to be added. Its all very intriguing, trying not to be too impulsive and to figure out the best options.

In the mean time I have been given a loan of the NAD C 315BEE so I can check out what the power is like before buying. Got a lend of 2 5m lengths of oxygen free copper litz with gold plated connectors too with the option to buy for £20 if I like. Haven't been able to test it yet as waiting for leads to arrive so I can play music from my phone to test the power of the amp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts