Yamaha Dsp Z9 switching off

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I Have an intermittent fault with my Yamaha Dsp-Z9 Av Amplifier ,where after switching it on it may turn off again ,or when switching it on after a few minutes may just switch off,i have checked all connections i.e speaker connections etc and every thing is ok,has any one else experienced this problem and does anyone think doing a factory re-set may sort the problem,i have a gut feeling there is a fault that has developed not sure though.

A

Anonymous

I just can't help but feel amused with all these 'intermittent faults' with high-end products like yours and the Arcam AVR-600, especially when budget equipments perform faultlesly.

Unbelievable, to say the least!

A

Anonymous

Are you on the latest firware? A while back there were several of the higher end Yamaha receivers which exhibited exactly this fault and there was a firmware upgrade to fix it. You just download it from their website, it was easy to do.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I have had the same problem a few times with my DSP-Z7. Thought there might be a firmware update to fix it, but haven't had time to look for it yet.

One question about the update process by the way. Are these additive, which means you can suffice with the latest version? Or do you need to download all versions missing?

A

Anonymous

Not sure if you need to do them one at a time, I was only 1 version out when I got my RX-V3900 I just let the machine download it itsefl, I didn't burn to USB stick or anything and it worked fine.

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi TKratz,ive looked into on Yamaha website and yes the firmware upgrade for the z7 also sorts the switching off problem,shame i cant do the same for my Z9 as i have no usb input
Has anybody else had problems with Yamaha Av Amplifiers Turning off?
i completly stripped my hifi gear down the weekend and rewired everything starting from scratch,rewired all speaker connections ,defo sounds a lot better as the cables do suffer from oxidisation after about 12 months so i say its best to do this,but unfortunatly when i still turn my amp on from cold it takes about four attempts for it to start up and then after around 10 mins cuts out but after that once its warm it stays on no probs,i think it might be the overprotect sensor which is faulty

A

Anonymous

Bought the amp brand new and connected it on Wednesday 24th December 2003, Fault started third quarter of 2007, Amp stoped working Friday 21st August 2009.

Currently the Yamaha DSP-Z9 which is now getting repaired at "Craigavon TV Service Centre" which is listed has a yamaha authorized repair center.

The problem am having is too the Amp is switching off and on for months now and it would takes ages for the amp just to stay switched on!

Now the Z9 worked fine for the best part of 8 months after a spell of hell trying to get the amp to stay on or hoping it wouldn't switch off during a movie, it really did have a mind of its own, now with it only switching off about 3-4 times during that time of the 8 month spell, what i did notice that it was only after i had unpluged a Freeview box from the amp which was connected optically, i had guessed that there must have been something wrong with the Freebox and thats what was triggering a fault, untill the amp oneday switched off for the first time in ages.

Last Friday 21st August 2009, the amp stoped outputting sound, it switched on and did the normal "one click sound" and then nothing, i unpluged everything from the amp and connected only the main speakers and one optical connection from the sky box and still nothing, but what i did notice that what input source i had selected there was a dolby symbol would appear but not on the source from the sky box, but when i plugged it out it came on.

I will post back what the engineer says, he will be phoning me on friday to ask me what was wrong with it and i will explain to him.

At first i thought it might be a over sensitive cut off switch or a transformer fault, but now it might be something else and even something to do with the input of the sound.

So i wouldn't be surprized if i was told the amp had two faults with it.

A

Anonymous

Acciesboy:Not sure if you need to do them one at a time, I was only 1 version out when I got my RX-V3900 I just let the machine download it itsefl, I didn't burn to USB stick or anything and it worked fine.

No need to. Just download and install the latest version and everything should work fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Yeah i'll post back, the amp is still got life in it yet, so the cost to getting it fixed will outway buying a new flag ship model, not to run the Z11 down.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7118/hcroomz.jpg

Picture of my setup

Sony KDL-52Z4500 LCD

KEF 23C Centre Channel

4x KEF 23F Main & Surround Rear

4x KEF 34DS Rear Effects & Front Effects

REL Stadium II Subwoofer

PC case - OrigenAE HTPC Aluminium S21T Silver

Just need a blu-ray player, the drive in the pc can playback blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

Just got off the phone from brian the engineer looking at the Z9, i explained the problem and he will be looking at it somestage soon!

I know the cost if it can be fixed is already £55 for repair default charge so anything else wil be parts.

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Let me know how it goes mate , mines been ok the last few days , I found out how to get into the diagnostics menu on it if your interested ,still got a mind of it's own though but only web it's cold

A

Anonymous

Yeah i would be interested big time, much appreciated. :)

Something me and my bro tryed was to try and change the input source quickley before the amp would switch off, not sure if that actually worked...

So am 99.9% sure this problem is to do with the input optical board, i could be way off.

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
i dont think its to do with the input source,its to do with when its cold ,when i turn it on you normally wait for the click then it turn off,ive tryed turning the volume right down before you turn it off ,then turn the amp on the next day from cold wait for it to warm up then turn up the volume ,that currently works,also switch the mains off first before for 30 seconds first,i just think the amp needs the equivelent update as the z7 but am unable to do this via internet or usb stick as we dont have that option,let me know how yours going on

A

Anonymous

Well the problem with my amp is that it would do it from cold or after it's been on for hours, but not every problem is the same.

What does the extra menu function do on the Z9, what buttons do i press?

A

Anonymous

Equipment
SEP AMP

Make
YAMAHA
Model
DSPZ9

Status
Under Repair

Date Status Changed
2/Sep/2009

Your faulty item is currently being worked at by one of our engineers

Will fnd out what was wrong with it and post back!

any word on how to access the diagnostic menu on the Z9 ?

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Can't quite remember what buttons as I haven't beenhome for a while. If you open the front flap on the right hand side you have two small buttons one is the balance and the other I think tone controls ,turn the amp off and hold those two small buttons down then turn the ampon stillholding them down un till a menu screen appears. On your tv and on the front panel, then navigate yourself through the menus , let me know how your amp goes on and how you get on with menu when you get it back

A

Anonymous

Thanks, i will try that once i get the amp back am going to phone theyamaha repair center later, i can check online the progress but little information so far, so i'll find out, its been buggin me for well over a year now, "damn amp switching off" am going to miss that comment, NOT!

A

Anonymous

Equipment
SEP AMP

Make
YAMAHA
Model
DSPZ9

Status
W.F. Technical

Date Status Changed
14/Sep/2009

We are waiting for technical information to help us progress your repair

Well this is the latest but not the greatest news, they don't know whats wrong with it, well thats what am taking from it, so when you walk in to the repair shop someday moomin you can show off and tell them, yeah you know i think it might be a fault with such and such, eheh :)

I'll keep ya posted.

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
hi Matey,sorry to hear your still awaiting the outcome on your amp,mine is still playing up once you first turn it on,after about an hour it stays on no problems,im tempted to keep it switched on and dim the display down when im not using it ,there is an option system boot in the menu along side factory preset which ive already tryed so i might give that option a go so it actually reboots the amp as apposed to resseting it soley back to factory settings,the problem sounds like the same one they were having with the Yamaha Dsp Z7 which they have now a software update for,shame we cant do the same to ours,its such a superb performer the Z9 i want to keep it ,ive always had yamaha av amps and have been impressed so dont wan to change brand,let me know when you find out any more .

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Any more news on your dsp z9 getting fixed,i have been leaving mine on and dimming the display when im not using it and it appears to be fine doing this .

moomin

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Any more news on your dsp z9 getting fixed,i have been leaving mine on and dimming the display when im not using it and it appears to be fine doing this .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts