Yamaha DSP AX-863SE Settings etc.

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I've finally got this Yamaha amp now...after waiting for ages because of the 'no stock' problems.

Just having a play around with the various sound field options available on the amp...classical, movie, enhancer etc.. should I be selecting 'Sur. Decode' to just take the natural surround sound that is being output from my SKY box's digital out?

Some of the other effects are quite fun of course...like 'the roxy theatre' etc... but if i want the most natural surround sound from my sky box I presume the Sur. Decode option would be the one to use. Or am I completely wrong in thinking this?

Also I'm about to get SKY HD installed this weekend and want to know if connecting the HDMI from the SKY HD box into the Yamaha amp input and through HDMI out to my pioneer plasma will be essentially the same picture-wise as connecting the SKY box straight to the plasma tv? It will still be the plasma that is doing the upscaling won't it? So picture quality won't be degraded or messed with at all by going 'through' the amp?

Cheers...

A

Anonymous

Hello
When you get the Sky hd box I would say connect it straight to the telly so you can watch Sky without the amp being on. (The Sky box only outputs stereo through hdmi anyway). Then connect the sky box to your amp with an optical to get the Dolby digital.
I don't have a Yamaha myself so can't really help with that part.

A

Anonymous

Were did you get your Yammy from.... No one seems to have stocks still and then I notice here:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/0_HCAMPS.php?gclid=CMyr9JbrpJgCFQ5uQgod1AdAlw

That no more is due till april.

Cheers

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
cacus i had my yammy on order with hifix since about the 8th of december i think. arrived last friday.

if the sky hd box is going straight to my amp with hdmi and optical cable will it not know to take the sound from the optical cable instead of the hdmi then? must be some option for this surely!

A

Anonymous

This is easy to sort out - I have the 863.

You need to use an optical/coaxial for Sky Dolby Digital. You can set the sound/vision differently for each device, so BluRay will use HDMI all the way, but Sky sound will come via optical/coax.

You can do this at any time using the remote. Press 'audio' and you will see where the sound is coming from. Change it to optical/coaxial.ÿÿ

The Surround decoder button will give you DD if the input is thus encoded, and a choice of several Pro Logics and Neo DTS otherwise. If you are watching a ProLogic channel and switch to something in DD, say Sky Movies, youÿshouldÿsee Dolby Digitalÿappearÿon the display of the Yammy. If you then switch to the Roxy or something else, it should still be in DD, only with a few tweaks on top.ÿ

I have my Sky HD connected via the Yammy to my plasma, and I am pretty happy. You can try this for yourself and if youÿpreferÿa direct connection, switch it. ÿ

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'd just like to add that routing the signal from the Sky box via the amp (along with everything else) does simplify the switching/remotes situation. ÿIf you always use the sound from your AV system, as I do, it's the way to go. ÿIt's just a matter of choice.ÿ

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
mjtoal:

This is easy to sort out - I have the 863.

You need to use an optical/coaxial for Sky Dolby Digital. You can set the sound/vision differently for each device, so BluRay will use HDMI all the way, but Sky sound will come via optical/coax.

You can do this at any time using the remote. Press 'audio' and you will see where the sound is coming from. Change it to optical/coaxial.

The Surround decoder button will give you DD if the input is thus encoded, and a choice of several Pro Logics and Neo DTS otherwise. If you are watching a ProLogic channel and switch to something in DD, say Sky Movies, you should see Dolby Digital appear on the display of the Yammy. If you then switch to the Roxy or something else, it should still be in DD, only with a few tweaks on top.

I have my Sky HD connected via the Yammy to my plasma, and I am pretty happy. You can try this for yourself and if you prefer a direct connection, switch it.

thanks for the info mjtoal! very helpful.

was wondering what you have your sky hd 'hd resolution output' set too...automatic or 1080i?
i tried to plug the sky hd box into my yammy amp via hdmi and i was getting the 'This display does not support HDCP' error. I don't get this if i plug the hdmi straight to my pioneer plasma. I've made sure the 'hdmi resolution' on the yammy is set to 'Through' which i thought would just mean that it would act as a straight link through to the pioneer untouched so i don't know why i get the error.

A

Anonymous

Mmm, not sure what that is about. Maybe the settings in the Sky HD? Or could be the HDMI cable. Have you another you can try, even a cheap one?

I have exactly the same set up,ÿthankfullyÿfree of HDCP errors - Sky HD to 863 via HDMI and it works great. As sorreltiger said, makes switching easier.

On the Sky HD, I have theÿresolutionÿset to 1080i, I think.ÿ

On the Yammy, with the HDMI connection, it doesn't matter whether you set to 1080i or Through, those are only forÿanalogueÿsignals. However, the picture hasÿimprovedÿsince I put the 863 in, for sure.ÿ

lastcoyote

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
it seemed to only give the hdcp error when the sky hd box hdmi was plugged into the yammy AND scart from sky hd box to the plasma. it seemed to be ok before i started using the scart connection as well. it didn't occur to me that it was that as it doesn't make sense..but i've read someone else mention it somewhere on either this forum or other forums. strange huh!

i use the scart as well because i find that it gives a better picture through RGB scart for standard def channels than through the HDMI cable for standard def. i just switch inputs on my plasma when i want to view HD channels.
i've stuck with just plugging the HDMI straight into the plasma now. works fine. so i just use the hdmi video input on the yammy for my blu-ray player.

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

Like most of you in this forum i have Pana DMP-BD35 and Sky Hd but, in my case, sound is still output thru DVD/5.1 combo i got with TV (Pana TH-42PX70BA)

I'm considering Yama DSP-AX863SE and was wanting YOUR opinion on partnering with the sources mentioned?

in terms of and set-up i will be looking to buy speakers shortly after the yama is in place - recommend anything? and do any of you have it set-up to output 7.1?

cheers very much

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Ideally you partner an amp with speakers, not sources but obviously these days an AV receiver is considered to be the hub of an AV system. Most current half decent receivers have HD audio decoding as it has now filtered down to all but the bottom of the rung receivers, so are ideal for BD players. All have digital audio (digi-coax/optical) and analogue inputs so again will work with pretty much all sources. The 863SE is a mid-level receiver with all the latest bangs and whistles inc. video processing so will be suitable for your current equipment. I would recommend you to demo the receiver (and others) with various speakers so you can appreciate the differences and pick the one that sounds best to you. I appreciate that a lot of people buy blind these days online based on reviews and owners opinions but as you're starting from scratch you have the ideal opportunity to buy the system that sounds best to you and not one that others may prefer. This way, you'll know you have the best sounding system for your buck and not constantly wonder about other equipment and upgrade soon after.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Use 'straight' to turn off off DSP altogether. With Sky it'll switch automatically between Dolby Digital and PCM. For two channel PCM streams you can use 'surround decode' to select Pro Logic, Pro Logic II etc.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Anyone know where to get hold of one of these at present. Spoke to my local stockist the other day and said that they would struggle to get it.

They adviced I go for the Pioneer VSX-1018AH instead. This would go with a KURO-LX5090 and a Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-Ray player.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Should I plump for the Pioneer Receiver or hold out for the Yamaha ?

Thanks.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Demo with your chosen speakers. If you can't wait, the Pioneer (if it suits your speakers and listening taste) should work with the rest due to Kuro link etc. In the end though mate, it's ultimately your decision and your money.

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem finding this amp. Tried all the usual online retailers, nobody seemed to have stock.

As i live in london i thought i'd pop down to tottenham court road,not expecting to find it. First shop i went into had it.
emotion-3.gif

I have a pair of quad 12 l2 and a pair of 11 l2 and the l2 centre. It's a great sounding amp, although the automatic speaker settings needed tweaking to get the sound right.

I couldnt be happier.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts