Yamaha Aventage RX-A810 + KEF KHT 3005HD - Sounds poor & veiled ...

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
HI everyone I need some advice on a home cinema setup I’ve purchased from Richer Sounds.

I have purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX-A810 with a set of KEF KHT3005 HD and it just does not sound right at all. I’ve had the amp running now continuously for around 24 hours using a combination of Internet radio, PS3, youview, MacBook Pro and the audio out from my HTC One X and I can only describe the sound quality as dull, lifeless and I hate to say it but it sounds cheap; there is detail but not a lot else! A good friend of mine has a BOSE 3-2-1 system and as much as I dislike the sound quality on that it actually sounds better than the Yamaha/Kef combo.

I’ve ran the Yamaha’s calibration software and adjusted the sub crossover to 80Hz and I just can’t seem to get acceptable sound quality from it: Vocals sound boxed in, it’s difficult to place individual instruments in the stereo image and it’s just a massive disappointment.

So I guess what I’m asking is am I expecting too much from the system, is there something in the setup routine I’ve missed or should I give it more time for everything to bed in so-to-speak?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I would say use the best source possible to start with before evaluating sq. Then look at room acoustics if all setup is good. Im sure others will suggest lots more.

I would suggest you contact Richer Sounds. Let them arrange a proper demo with your system. If you're still not happy with the sound, then return it for something else within your budget.

Definitely demo this time! :read:

:)

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
When I demoed the KEF, I wasn't happy with the sound either. That may well be the weak link. I went for Monitor Audio Radius HD & couldn't be happier.

Yeah I think they could be with weak link, they just sound so hollow and flat and they aint exactly cheap either although they do look the part I have to say ... I was going to go with the Cambridge Audio Minx setup but the salesman said the Yamaha/Kef combination would be better for music as well as movies.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My total budget for the amp & speakers was £1000 so they are a little too pricey for me at the moment ... Crazy thing was I heard the minx playing music in-store and they sounded good, much better than what I'm experiencing with the KEF's ... I might give it a couple of days and see if they improve and if not will take them back and look at other options.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would suggest you speak to Richer Sounds. If they're able to arrange a comparison demo between your KEFs & the Cambridge Audio Minx, you'll be able to appreciate the difference.

Good plan ... I'll wait till after the BH and go and have a chat with them next Tuesday ...

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The speakers do take a good few hours to bed in(so i was advised).

For the size of speaker i couldn't hear any better when i got mine...i take it you have removed the speaker bungs... :grin:

The only reason i wish to upgrade the front speakers is for hifi sound(cd&pc playback),but for movies i can't fault the system.

What sound decoders are you using on the 810 by the way northensoul?

One of the people who recomended the 1010 to me when i wanted to upgrade the avr frequents this site,so hopefully David will get a chance to reply to your post :)

tzjp

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Northensoul,

I own both Kef's 3005se and a Yamaha rxv673 and I can say wholeheartedly that I could not be happier, and I did demo it in the store.

Here are my two cents: First, set the sub crossover in the Yamaha menu to 120hz (this is recommended in both Cnet.com review and the user's manual of the KEF's SE model) and all the speakers to "small".

Second, make sure the sub's woofer is actually facing you. This might not be the most crucial as a sub is non directional, however depending on the placement of the sub, a tricky thing as we all know, changing the angle to face you might be the crucial point.

Third, do make sure to "break-in" the speakers for about 100-150 hours on healthy volume.

And finally, if you haven't already, try listening to the speakers with the sponge thing they put inside the woofer ports in the back of the sattellites PULLED OUT. I believe it's in the speaker only in the case you mount them on the wall or that they are in other close proximity to the wall, as to avoid a booming in the midrange.

Let me know if that helps!

buzz_lightclick

I think there is some confusion with which speaker system the OP has, it is the Kef 3005HD-2, NOT the Kef 3005SE.

The HD-2 is inferior because it does not include the dedicated centre speaker which is one of the 3005SE's strong points, but instead uses an identical satellite to the other 4 speakers. It also comes with the T2 sub rather than the HT2BSE sub which isn't quite as agile or deep.

It's still a good system, and there may be some issues with how it's been set up, but it is different to the 3005SE.

See the WhatHiFi review: http://www.whathifi.com/review/kef-kht3005-hd2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts