yamaha av amps

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi, i am just about to buy a dsp ax863 and on speaking to a friend who has an ax463 model he tells me if you connect a blu ray with hdmi to the amp and amp to tv with hdmi you can't use surround speaker system without using extra leads ie opticle any one heard of this seems daft to me

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid he's wrong. Even his 463 model accepts audio over HDMI (5.1 LPCM). Optical and digital coax are not capable of transmitting HD audio in any form due to bandwidth limitations. They can only transmit the good ol' vanilla formats such as DD5.1 and DTS (inc core of HD).

He needst to look at his own setup too to make the best of it, if he has a bluray player capable of decoding all the HD audio formats.

A

Anonymous

863 + BluRay + HDMI cable + many speakers = delightful True HD sound.ÿ

A

Anonymous

he has the blu ray to amp with hdmi and amp to tv hdmi but ony gets sound through tv not surround speakers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Then he has a setting wrong somewhere and it's telling the player to pass the sound straight to the TV rather than it being decoded and processed by the amp.

Most likely he's trying to send the receiver Dolby HD or DTS HD sound, which IIRC the 463 can't handle, so the sound is going straight through to TV.

If his player can't decode these soundtracks and output them as Linear PCM over the HDMI, which the 463 can handle, then he may think he needs the optical cable. But most players can do this, or at least output the standard Dolby Digital/DTS soundtracks over HDMI, so he probably doesn't need the optical output.

You won't have any such problems - if problems they are - with the 863SE.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts