Yamaha AS501 Clicking Sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonIvanovich

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
My new Yamaha AS501 amp often makes clicking sounds when it is in standby mode. It sounds like some circuits are switching, possibly relays? It means I need to power the unit off completely rather than leaving it in standby mode, which is somewhat frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this, or have a solution?

widde

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
TysonIvanovich said:
My new Yamaha AS501 amp often makes clicking sounds when it is in standby mode. It sounds like some circuits are switching, possibly relays? It means I need to power the unit off completely rather than leaving it in standby mode, which is somewhat frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this, or have a solution?

I have the same problem as you have. It is clicking when it is in standby. I can't even turn off the big button on the amplifier it self, it is clicking anyway. I counted, it was clicking 7 times during 40 minutes.
I left it for service, but they could not find any issues with it (I bet they didn't had the time to sit and listen for a couple of minutes)

Have you found any solution for this problem yet?

Ormes

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
widde said:
TysonIvanovich said:

I have the same problem as you have. It is clicking when it is in standby. I can't even turn off the big button on the amplifier it self, it is clicking anyway. I counted, it was clicking 7 times during 40 minutes.I left it for service, but they could not find any issues with it (I bet they didn't had the time to sit and listen for a couple of minutes)

Have you found any solution for this problem yet?

Bought mine around 2 weeks ago and now mine clicks too!

Now this is going to sound crazy... but do you have a Sky remote control? Press the TV button whilst pointing at the amp when the main power button is turned off! Instantly, the amp clicks and then a few seconds later it clicks again... click 1 and click 2 are a different pitch, like a circuit is being opened and then closed. I can reproduce this on demand. I am 99% sure that I've also heard it without me using the remote. Maybe it is in some way hypersensitive to IR? :) I will add that when it clicks, there are no lights and no other activity.

I would be extremely interested to see if you can trigger your clicks on demand like I can... I am going to take my Sky Remote with me when I go to RicherSounds for my replacement unit tomorrow and make sure the new one doesn't do it :)

Hope this helps!

Ormes

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
No it doesn't. The process I've been through below:

-Yesterday, I hadn't got to the bottom of it, and it was seemingly random, was googling the issue and somebody had suggested flicking the switch you mention. It has been off since yesterday and it's clicking pre and post switching it off.

-Today, heard it a few times, then went through a process of testing without speakers plugged in, then without coax, then without inputs and somewhere in that process, put two and two together and realised it was when I was using my Sky Remote. Can now reproduce the issue on demand, however to reproduce it you need to give it a few minutes in between.

All this time, no lights, no hum from the speakers or any other indication that it is doing anything, other than clicking to the Sky remote!

Must be some kind of factory IR code or sensitivity to IR, but I would have hoped that when you press the button on the front to turn it off, it was drawing no current! The supplied remote control does absolutely nothing when off on the front panel so it is extremely odd that the Sky Remote has this affect!

Thanks for your reply :)

Ormes

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Interesting, thanks... clearly IR isn't the only trigger then and I was right to suspect it was doing it seemingly randomly.

Just picked up a replacement unit... and based on your feedback stating this is a known issue, I am expecting the same issue with my new unit.

I will report back.

hifi909181

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
This thread is quite old........

Yes, it's an old thread, but people are still experiencing this unusual problem. My A-S801 ( 2-year warranty) is making the seemingly random click sound and it is very annoying. I can force the amp to click, in the same way, by pressing a button on an unrelated remote control. After the click, the amp clicks a second time, a bit later. Bad remote control sensor? Yamaha support said to take the amp to an authorized repair center. So, I contacted the repair center and the estimated cost of the out of warranty repair is $250-350! So, on top of the $999 cost, you might have the repair cost in a couple of years. Keep that in mind while shopping for an amp. Hope this info helps. If anyone knows exactly what part needs to be replaced, please post the details. Thanks.

Yes, it's an old thread, but people are still experiencing this unusual problem. My A-S801 ( 2-year warranty) is making the seemingly random click sound and it is very annoying. I can force the amp to click, in the same way, by pressing a button on an unrelated remote control. After the click, the amp clicks a second time, a bit later. Bad remote control sensor? Yamaha support said to take the amp to an authorized repair center. So, I contacted the repair center and the estimated cost of the out of warranty repair is $250-350! So, on top of the $999 cost, you might have the repair cost in a couple of years. Keep that in mind while shopping for an amp. Hope this info helps. If anyone knows exactly what part needs to be replaced, please post the details. Thanks.
What I meant was it's best if you start a new thread if you want more replies.....
Digging up six year old threads, rather than starting a new one, is rather frowned upon.
Oh, and see post #10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts