Yamaha 673 or Pioneer 2021

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for first post. Operator error...

My existing setup is a Pioneer VSX2021 driving monitor audio RX1 fronts, RXC center, RXFX rears and PV1 sub. The physical size of the Pioneer amp is too big to fit in my new AV unit. The Yamaha RX673 will fit nicely. Would this be an upgrade or downgrade? 80% of use is for Blu ray and 20% CD. I'm not particularly interested in streaming or internet radio.

Your comments are appreciated :)

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
To be honest those speakers deserve better. The Aventage series from Yamaha are monsters, I had the RX A2010 and it was a beast. The RX673 should is definitely smaller but wouldn't really get the best out of the Silvers. I bought the Anthem MRX300 which is a really compact receiver, especially in terms of depth, and it would be a much more capable machine. The home cinema centre are selling ex-demo units with 3 years warranty for £749:

http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/index.php/home_cinema/home_cinema_amplifier/anthem_mrx-300_copy/

A real bargain as they can easily compete with other receivers costing twice as much. For a little more than a new RX673 you'd be getting something which is way better and could last a few more upgrades.

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for your interesting comments, i prefer to buy new rather than refurbished and a new one is beyond my current price range, Maybe i need to continue saving then? :cry:

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought one from them and it was virtually new, with all the protective films, and it comes with a full 3 years warranty. Not refurbished at all, just ex display units that come in open boxes but everything is literally just like new.

TRENDING THREADS