Pioneer 5090 with Pioneer LX01BD, or Bose V30, or similar

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Advice would be most welcome, and apologies for the length of the post (abbreviated from an earlier post on “your system” which was probably not the correct board).

I am very much an amateur when it comes to all things hifi and home cinema but I am just renovating a 500 year old timbered cottage in a contemporary, minimalist style and want a tv and surround sound system that will fit in with that theme.

The Pioneer 5090 appears to be the best TV at present(?) plus I want a good surround sound that will also play reasonable music quality. I am not a hifi fanatic but like to have good sound and realise that traditional speakers generally give better sound. However, balanced against this - and perhaps more important - is the speakers have to look contemporary and minimalist to suit the style of the new house. The Bose jewel cube speakers would be fairly discrete in my main tv area, but I am put off by a lot of negative comment about their performance. Having heard the speakers only on surround sound in the Bose showroom, I can imagine that they would not be great for music, plus I also don't want to spend £2,300 for what just appears to be a speaker system (showing my ignorance here, but I’m not sure what a “pre amp” does).

The speakers in the Pioneer LX01BD brochure match the Bose for minimalist style and the system also has a Blue Ray player (and amplifier?) for less money than the Bose V30. I was thinking that I may go for the Yamaha 863 receiver to drive the sound.

My questions are, is it better to keep to a complete Pioneer system (do they have a receiver as good as the Yamaha for a similar price) - I don't really want to spend a lot more. Second, does anyone know whether the Pioneer speakers will sound better than Bose, or is there a better sounding minimalist speaker system out there? Third, is there any difference in picture quality on the Pioneer 5090 or on the 500A with the separate media box (and does that have any advantages other than a thinner screen? Last, as I will mainly be watching more tv than video, particularly for sport through a Sky+ HD box, and including a lot of current affairs programs (mainly SD?), is it a waste of money to go for the Pioneer - ideally I wanted something a bit smaller but Pioneer no longer offer a smaller plasma and I think others probably do better LCD than Pioneer - I am told plasma is better for sport action and that the bigger screen is better for HD.

Sorry if there are too many questions but I am pretty confused and dont want to spend a lot of money and make a big mistake!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

A lot of questions, but that's what we're here for! First up, the Pioneer 5090 would be a fabulous choice for your TV. It's our Best Buy 50in+ TV and well worth the money. We haven't tested the model with the separate media box yet, the 500A, so I can't comment on that model. If you've got Sky HD, then the 5090 will work a treat with sport and everything else.

As for surround sound, the Pioneer LX01BD is a complete home cinema in a box system, with built-in amplification, so you won't need a separate amp like the Yamaha. As the LX01BD is an aesthetic match for the TV, it would be an obvious choice.

We'll be testing the LX01BD in our January 09 issue, on sale from December 11th, so you might want to wait for that. The paper spec certainly looks good. Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy

Thanks for your very helpful reply. As the house will not be ready for a good few months, I will certainly wait for the January review.

Can you help with a couple of further clarifications please? Do you know if the Pioneer amp is also a receiver as I listen to a lot of radio? Also, I think a number of people have asked a similar question, but is there a minimalist speaker system that also throws out acceptable sound (to a non-hifi buff) for music? The speakers will be mounted on the wall so they need to be as minimalist and stylish as possible (I can hear the hifi enthusiasts groaning!) whilst the boxes will be hidden away in a cupboard beside the TV which will be recessed into the wall.

Regards

John

TRENDING THREADS