AV receiver upgrade?

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I plan on upgrading my receiver from a Yamaha 673 to either a Yamaha 677 or Sony 1050, I am currently using monitor audio RX1 fronts, RX centre, RXFX rears and PV1 sub but these could possibly be upgraded to MA Apexs? I use my current set up 90% blu Ray and 10% music, I'm always hearing bad things about the possible upgrade especially the sony but it doesn't win product of the year for nothing!

responses good or bad appreciated

Martin

r

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello BB, I was just wanting slightly better than my current set up, are you suggesting it's probably not worth upgrading? Obviously the money factor enters into it and if it's not worth spending the money for little improvement then I will have to buy more fishing tackle!

Martin

Out of your options, you won't notice any improvement. It's a sideways step.

You could demo receivers like Yamaha RX-A1040, Pioneer LX58 and Marantz SR7009 as a minimum to notice an improvement. Marantz is best specced of the lot.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Going from Yamaha 673 to 677 is the same level product, but three generations newer. An expensive step sideways, as bigboss says. I'm not entirely familiar with this section of the market but you need to spend a fair bit more than the 677 would have cost to notice an improvement.

michael hoy

bigboss said:
Out of your options, you won't notice any improvement. It's a sideways step.

You could demo receivers like Yamaha RX-A1040, Pioneer LX58 and Marantz SR7009 as a minimum to notice an improvement. Marantz is best specced of the lot.

I would say these amps are the starting point if you want to run the Monitor Audio Apex.

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks BB for your comments, I have checked on your recommendations but all 3 are physically too big for my furniture, how about an Anthem MRX 310? I'm not interested in spotify, Bluetooth and all that business?

comments gratefully received

Beefheart

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your comments, I have asked BB about his thoughts on the Anthem MRX310 as I have size restrictions (and money) if I make a serious amp upgrade

regards

Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts