XLR vs RCA vs Optical, Balanced vs Unbalanced interconnects

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this thread might have come before....

Could someone advice for short interconnect (1m) between amp and cd source ( JBL HK990 & HD990) which is the best setup?

Further more any suggedtion for a ' good' XLR and RCA interconnect upto 135 gbp?

Do JBL HK990 & HD990 have a 'TRUE' balanced input/output?

Thanks

TrevC

There is a myth about balanced connections giving better sound quality. They don't, they enable hum and noise cancellation over long cable runs using low level signals. A CD play is high level and you are using a vey short cable, so don't bother. Any old interconnect will work fine too, just look for sturdy ones.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Also, any cable with XLR at one end and terminated with an RCA connector at the other, will not be balanced.

If you really wish to use XLRs, basic leads can be bought online or from pro audio outlets, you certainly don't need to spend anywhere near £130GBP.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Good interconnects won't add anything to your system but poor interconnects will hold it back. It's worth listening to some to see for yourself.

abacus

Yep another load of bull to convince those who know little about electrical systems and cables to buy something more expensive, but which in reality provides no improvement at all.

Bill

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Xlr over rca... Better sound? Not necessarily..

Different sound? Yes there is ... I find a truly balanced system sounds louder at the same volume knob level.

but again... Not necessarily improve the sound...

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Guys...

Going futther I read somewhere that xlr would add noise since the signal will pass throuhb extra circuity while RCA will not! Your views pls...

AnD RCA can not be balanced in any way... am I right?

Any suggestions fof rca & xlr cables pls (upto 130 gbp)...

THANKS

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Thanks Guys...

Going futther I read somewhere that xlr would add noise since the signal will pass throuhb extra circuity while RCA will not! Your views pls...

THANKS

A cable can only detract from the signal it is carrying, it can't make it any better. So, as a general rule if you have to use a cable, choose one that does the least damage.

The type of plug used (XLR, DIN, RCA) has nothing to do with the topology of the circuit design, and does not indicate whether a circuit is balanced or not.

For domestic HiFi installations, there is absolutely no point in using balanced interconnects. The whole point of a balanced topology is to minimise signal damage in situations where long cable runs may be subject to crosstalk, signal loss and EM interference - a studio or on stage for example. Most domestic equipment will be 'unbalanced' internally, so balanced connections will require further steps to implement, and may be worse overall than the unbalanced connections.

That is not to say that for a specific bit of equipment, the designer hasn't made a better / worse job of the balanced / unbalanced drivers, so it is possible that for your amp the balanced connections may / may not sound different.

Unless you have very good reasons for wanting to do it, I wouldn't bother trying to unbalance a balanced link - there really is no point.

So, stick to the RCA connections, keep your cables short to minimise signal damage, don't run them in parallel with mains cables. Any decently made cable with low capacitance and an overall screen will work fine.

If you are still hung up on XLR connectors, look on the pro websites for balanced microphone cables, they will fit the bill. You might be surprised at just how cheap they are.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
L00k_C said:
Thanks Guys...

THANKS

A cable can only detract from the signal it is carrying, it can't make it any better. So, as a general rule if you have to use a cable, choose one that does the least damage.

The type of plug used (XLR, DIN, RCA) has nothing to do with the topology of the circuit design, and does not indicate whether a circuit is balanced or not.

For domestic HiFi installations, there is absolutely no point in using balanced interconnects. The whole point of a balanced topology is to minimise signal damage in situations where long cable runs may be subject to crosstalk, signal loss and EM interference - a studio or on stage for example. Most domestic equipment will be 'unbalanced' internally, so balanced connections will require further steps to implement, and may be worse overall than the unbalanced connections.

That is not to say that for a specific bit of equipment, the designer hasn't made a better / worse job of the balanced / unbalanced drivers, so it is possible that for your amp the balanced connections may / may not sound different.

Unless you have very good reasons for wanting to do it, I wouldn't bother trying to unbalance a balanced link - there really is no point.

So, stick to the RCA connections, keep your cables short to minimise signal damage, don't run them in parallel with mains cables. Any decently made cable with low capacitance and an overall screen will work fine.

If you are still hung up on XLR connectors, look on the pro websites for balanced microphone cables, they will fit the bill. You might be surprised at just how cheap they are.

Sorry for being so naive....

But you are saying that if I use XLR connections over RCA in such a small distance (1m) I might 'do worse' to the signal that by using the normal RCA connection?

If I use XLR do I have to do anything MORE to the systems than just connecting them (like you do in RCA)? (i.e you have the choice for balance / unbalnced?)

Latsly given the DNA of two systems (Harman Kardon HK990 & HD990) would I gain any more (or should I say loose anything less!!) by using XLR as their topology is such?

:wall:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
XLR and RCA are just types of connectors. They can be attached to various cable construction types to suit different purposes, so an XLR cable is not necessarily balanced, similarly, equipment that has XLR connectors is also not necessarily of balanced circuitry.

If you have equipment that is truly balanced in design, then I would look no further than the many pro audio outlets for cables, ring them up and ask for advice on what cables to buy. They will probably recommend a short mic cable for use as an interconnect.

If you try, you will probably be able to find some that cost more than £30, but they might be 10m long.

abacus

If your equipment has balanced connections (Usually only on very expensive Hi Fi or professional equipment) on both items then use balanced cables to connect the two together.

If the equipment only has RCA (Unbalanced) connectors (Or only 1 item has balanced connectors) then use RCA (Unbalanced) cables.

Do not convert between one and the other unless you have no other option.

In addition get your cables from a professional music store as they will supply you with the correct cables for the job, and not try and force you into buying expensive cable that will make no difference to the sound. (You won’t get the bull that Hi Fi manufactures marketing teams try to con you with)

Hope this helps

Bill

T

the record spot

The Harman amp and CDP the OP mentions both have XLR connections.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If the equipment that you want to connect is fully balanced from input to output then there is a sound quality advantage to using balanced XLR interconnects because the equipment and the internal circuitry was designed to be connected this way .

If the equipment is not fully balanced but has XLR inputs and output connections then using balanced XLR interconnects will make absolutely no improvement or difference over the standard RCA interconnects if the average one to five meter lengths are used .

So it would be wise to check with the manufacturer whether the equipment is fully balanced or not .

One advantage of balanced XLR interconnects is that they are often cheaper and better built than equivalent RCA ones :) .

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
L00k_C said:
Thanks Guys...

I think this statement is BS but please post link for reference. AFAIK balanced technology means you basically have two identical amps running in opposite phase to one another in order to eliminate common noise, not to generate it. so basically the signal doesn't flow through more circuitry then it would through an unbalanced electronics.

L00k_C said:

there are some so called pseudo-balanced RCA interconnects (see Atlas RCA symmetrical), but I don't think they would offer any gain over standard asymmetrical version.

L00k_C said:

THANKS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Silver-Litz-Structure-XLR-Interconnect-1m-Pair-/251200107986?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a7cb175d2

pros:

-silver signal carriers: you can't go better than silver in terms of wire's electrical performance

-very good quality plugs: signal carriers are tellurium copper which has nearly as good electrical properties as pure copper but is much harder hence better use for signal pins. in most budget/pro cables you won't find anything better than steel+nickel.

IMO this cable represents very high VFM for a high quality interconnect. especially if you take into account it's an XLR which usually cost more than RCA.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Silver-Litz-Structure-XLR-Interconnect-1m-Pair-/251200107986?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a7cb175d2

pros:

-silver signal carriers: you can't go better than silver in terms of wire's electrical performance

-very good quality plugs: signal carriers are tellurium copper which has nearly as good electrical properties as pure copper but is much harder hence better use for signal pins. in most budget/pro cables you won't find anything better than steel+nickel.

IMO this cable represents very high VFM for a high quality interconnect. especially if you take into account it's an XLR which usually cost more than RCA.

But it's not balanced.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
so an XLR cable is not necessarily balanced

never heard of an XLR cable that weren't symmetrical (FYI balanced and unbalanced refers to electronics, cables can be symmetrical or asymmetrical) but please give example. :?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:
so an XLR cable is not necessarily balanced

never heard of an XLR cable that weren't symmetrical (FYI balanced and unbalanced refers to electronics, cables can be symmetrical or asymmetrical) but please give example. :?

Any XLR to RCA lead would be asymetrical.

An XLR to XLR lead may or may not be symetrical, depending on the cable construction. The cable in your link appears to be an example of asymetrical construction, irrespective of its connectors.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
the record spot said:
The Harman amp and CDP the OP mentions both have XLR connections.

Do you know if they are TRUE balanced? (HK990 & HD990) :doh:

Presumably you have the owners manual, or can at least download it. It should tell you what connections are possible.

Failing that, I would drop the manufacturer an email.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A balanced cable configuration typically uses a twisted pair for two pins and the shield for ground. The multi stranded construction shown in the link does not lend itself to balanced construction and there also appears to be no shield for grounding.

An XLR connector is just that, a connector, it can be just as easily used in unbalanced configuration if it were fitted to a single conductor cable.

TRENDING THREADS