Wow ripping CDs into flac files is a upgrade of your music

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
So you're saying in a nutshell the Yamaha doesn't show the album-art for CDs ripped by WMP. You might have more luck with better ripping software. Microsoft products rule the workplace with Office but the apps they include with Windows suck.
I get album artwork if I use my laptop as part of the network but as soon as I connect the external hard drive direct to the Yamaha wxc50 then I lose artwork

this is because of the media player is not on my external hard drive only the files are so it’s not like iTunes where the artwork gets transferred over too so I would need different software I think to make it work .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I tried to different methods today the first was ripping straight to my laptop then using windows media player which works flawless then I tried to directly connect my external hard drive straight to my Yamaha wxc50 by using a USB connection it works the same way as the laptop but lose album artwork because I am not using the media player but the files are still on the external hard drive so that way is a no no .

so you need a interface software basically on the hard drive to show album artwork and so on which I do not think I can carry over windows media software onto a external hard drive which is a ******

And then the music cast system. Once the number of tracks on the plugged in hard drive start increasing, browsing becomes slower, and art work is a hit n miss most of the time . Both of them suggest, using a external Nas for real time album work and speedier browsing. So the Nas does the hard lifting of browsing the drive for a particular track and not the wxc-50 or bluesound . So I bought a 4tb WD my cloud hard drive, and plugged it into my router. Now this gives me faster browsing and spot on artwork, on both the wxc-50 and bluesound powernode simultaneously.

And was almost a simple plug and play, for someone dumb at computers like me :)
hi Newlash

i think how yours works by the sound of things is your router acts like a hub which then talks to your external hard drive which must be WiFi enabled hard drive must then send the info over with album artwork and the rest of it to the Yamaha wxc50 .

but for now I’ve just tried what I’ve got which is a basic external 1 TB hard drive without WiFi so my only method is USB direct to the Yamaha wxc50 or going though my laptop .

but today’s experience hasn’t cost me anything only some time trying stuff out but I will be buying the proper bit of kit to make this work even if the Yamaha wxc50 has to go .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
You need a server on a nas drive or pc /server but then the pc needs to be powered up whenever listening.....nas/server can have the pc powered down when listening . this will sort all your album's and artwork into a cohesive library.
it’s exciting stuff Mark

i was a bit slow realising about flac as I was so used to my CD player which is good but with flac that little extra in music quality it worth it that’s what it’s all about really getting as close as you can to the artist .

ive just got to look around to find what’s best for my needs which I am kind of looking for something that will do what my Yamaha wxc50 does which the blue sound vault 2 seems to fit the bill as it does tidal, airplay , rips and 2 TB hard drives onboard .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
This is not the yamaha's fault. A normal 1 TB hard drive cannot act as a Nas. Previously a Nas setup used to be expensive and difficult for non computer savvy folks.

So WD has come out with the 'WD my cloud' of external hard drives. These have a usb port to act as an external hard drive when plugged into your computer. And also have a Ethernet port to plug into your router, in which case it acts like a Nas.

It has a Linux based operating system. And no WiFi. So it browses the track list on its drives and sends the info to the wxc-50. So when you select a particular track on wxc-50, the wxc just pings this track to the WD. And the WD searches for this track and sends to the wxc-50. Very much like what your pc is doing right now, except that the WD has a Linux based operating system. And is designed to be on 24x7, with better system indexing to stream files lightning fast.

You can try this simple upgrade before considering passing on the wxc-50. I use this setup to stream simultaneously to both my stereo as well as my home theatre setup. Works a breeze. And the wxc 50 has never missed a single artwork .

All you need is a router, WD my cloud plugged with a Ethernet cable into this router. And the wxc-50 connected to this router by WiFi or hardwired.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I get album artwork if I use my laptop as part of the network but as soon as I connect the external hard drive direct to the Yamaha wxc50 then I lose artwork

this is because of the media player is not on my external hard drive only the files are so it’s not like iTunes where the artwork gets transferred over too so I would need different software I think to make it work .

Correct. I'm guessing WMP doesn't embed the album art in the file. dbPoweramp almost certainly does. iTunes definitely does, but it won't rip CDs to FLAC, only to ALAC. I'm not sure if your Yamaha will play ALAC files. Though it's been a public-domain codec for about five years so it might do.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm not sure if your Yamaha will play ALAC files. Though it's been a public-domain codec for about five years so it might do.

I've just checked the website: it does. So if you want you could use iTunes to rip to ALAC instead of having to buy dbPowerAmp to rip to FLAC.

I would advise a nas outer casing and separate drives such as the one I have....the wd I believe has the drives on board....where as I can swap my drives out...at the moment I use two 3tb wd red drives......these things do break down eventually so I think it better that you don't have to re purchase the outer casing all over again....imo of course.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I would advise a nas outer casing and separate drives such as the one I have....the wd I believe has the drives on board....where as I can swap my drives out...at the moment I use two 3tb wd red drives......these things do break down eventually so I think it better that you don't have to re purchase the outer casing all over again....imo of course.

+1 Mark. I run a Synology in RAID1 but am aware that it's gonna fail at some point so the WD reds are my next likely purchase. I find Synology Media Server works well and it also accepts (with a fair degree of faff) MinimServer which is excellent.

@BlackSabbath - Mark's advice above is very good.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

+1 Mark. I run a Synology in RAID1 but am aware that it's gonna fail at some point so the WD reds are my next likely purchase. I find Synology Media Server works well and it also accepts (with a fair degree of faff) MinimServer which is excellent.

@BlackSabbath - Mark's advice above is very good.
yes as you can change the hard drives around if you have a issues with one of them which make sense but buying something that you can’t service you self like a unit that has hard drives but no way of removing or replacing as you would be stuck with what ever storage came with the device and if it went wrong then you would have to start again .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Check my signature...oh and you can start with just the one drive and add another as funds allow...preferably both drives should have the same amount of storage..2x.2tb.....2x3tb etc....
some thing like this ? https://www.ebuyer.com/730097-qnap-ts-251-2g-2gb-ram-2-bay-desktop-nas-enclosure-ts-251-2g?mkwid=s_dt&pcrid=51482423219&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW572cg2luUI_8RfFXoYZv4CCfvJmoao32OUk3uZ9h0Ton51PM9ISb-BoCTI8QAvD_BwE

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yeah...remember that price is just for the enclosure..you still need to add the drives......wd reds are supposed to be the weapon of choice.lol.
yes that’s what I thought you can buy good hard drives quite cheap now as long as you pick up a good one with good writing speed and warranty or a hybrid drive which is nearly like solid state hard drive

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
You are better with a drive tailored for a network storage device.....https://nascompares.com/2017/09/08/what-is-the-difference-between-nas-hard-drives-and-standard-hard-drives-is-it-all-a-big-con/
so I take it if I carried on using the windows media centre then the nas will pass on the artwork from windows media though to the nas drives ?

No..you need to install a media server of some sort.....synology has it's own on board it's nas drives....also minim is quite popular...I use plex as I like how it arranges artists thumbnails and art work...it does have a small subscription fee of around £3 a month and it will also take care of plenty of other media formats for streaming around the house if that's what your looking for..but I just use it for ma tunes.lol.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
My streamer is the Cambridge CXN. I have this on my network connected to a Nas drive. I also have software on my PC. If you use the streamer to directly accesss the NAS then you dont need your PC switched on but the playing options are limited. If you use your PC or laptop with dedicated software (I have Musicbee and J River) you have more options and control over playing. For instance when mates are round we play geekie games like guess the intro etc. Software on a screen is much better for this type of mucking about. Get software like Bubbleupnp and plex and you can access your music anywhere in the world where there is wifi.

Sticking to your local network I dont think there is any SQ differences between PC software or NAS directly to your Streamer provided the kit will support the file format. By that I mean sending your files around your local network doesn't degrade the SQ. Some software progs have audio enhancement if thats your preference.

Try to get a streamer which will suppport Spotify or Tidal. Streamers are a fun, powerful and convenient ways of treating your ears to millions of songs. I love it but I also have a turntable for a different mood. If you want more details/comparisons between Musicbee and J River then please ask.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
johnnyboy1950 said:
My streamer is the Cambridge CXN. I have this on my network connected to a Nas drive. I also have software on my PC. If you use the streamer to directly accesss the NAS then you dont need your PC switched on but the playing options are limited. If you use your PC or laptop with dedicated software (I have Musicbee and J River) you have more options and control over playing. For instance when mates are round we play geekie games like guess the intro etc. Software on a screen is much better for this type of mucking about. Get software like Bubbleupnp and plex and you can access your music anywhere in the world where there is wifi.

Sticking to your local network I dont think there is any SQ differences between PC software or NAS directly to your Streamer provided the kit will support the file format. By that I mean sending your files around your local network doesn't degrade the SQ. Some software progs have audio enhancement if thats your preference.

Try to get a streamer which will suppport Spotify or Tidal. Streamers are a fun, powerful and convenient ways of treating your ears to millions of songs. I love it but I also have a turntable for a different mood. If you want more details/comparisons between Musicbee and J River then please ask.
I’ve already got a streamer which is the Yamaha wxc50 but what I wanted to do is just simply rip my CDs to flac files and store them onto a NAS unit but unsure at the moment what NAS to go for as there is so much choice and what software to use .

Currently I’ve been using iTunes music for streaming because it only cost £10 a month but have tried tidal on a trial which I liked but my Yamaha wxc50 has tidal already on it .

So need a good NAS that’s fast and reliable and there is scope to change or upgrade the hard drives if I wished to but I did not want to pay for extra services like flex just my own CDs ripped to flac but software were it gives me album artwork and the album info but I was hoping to carry on using the windows media player as it’s not costing anything to use it but do not mind spending the cash on a very good NAS unit .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Minim server is free and so are most....I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of the hdd....my superuniti plays very quickly from the nas.
there is an old how to do on what hifi how to setup a NAS drives going by that I would need 4 hard drives each 2TB each but 4TB is kept for back up

And I didn’t realise that NAS drives have RAM and a Processor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts