Wow ripping CDs into flac files is a upgrade of your music

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

In my experience in terms of capacity never enough is enough :)

As mentioned before, the NAS will be set up in RAID1, 5 or 6? I think so you will not get the full capacity of the HDD installed. So bear that in mind.

There is normally a sweet spot in terms of HDD capacity; when I set up my NAS were 3 TB. So in terms of £/Gb it was cheaper to go for 3Tb than 4Tb or 2Tb. Have a look.

NAS is not really a backup solution so ideally you need to back up the data to a external device/cloud. Do another HDD :)

I have two NAS running 4x3Tb each. One for music and another for video, documents etc. Then I back up the NAS to external USB hd.

Endless source of joy this hobby is :)

Regards,

O

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Romulus said:
One of the members on this forum warned me that hard drve disk do not last and I should create a back up hard disk. Why is it with new technology there these snags?

To be fair, HDDs are approx 60 year old technology that rely on the same principle as tape. They just got bigger in capacity, smaller in size, and cheaper. SSD is the modern equivalent, but the drives are comparatively expensive, and are not IMO any less liable to corruption, failure, or (in their own particular way) wear.

A separate backup is the answer, and if you truly want belt and braces, buy a subscription to a cloud service that backs up your data to remote servers.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Gray said:
DIB said:
I wouldn't say that ripped FLAC files sound any better than the original CD. I'm no expert, but how could they?

+1

+2

I truly can't hear the difference between flak and CD, but I can definitely see the advantages in terms of convenience, so wouldn't knock anyone for going down that route.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Me neither. I do both. It's great fun scrolling through my music folders from the comfort of my sofa with either my SBT remote or phone. I've got tons of albums where I no longer own the CDs (mainly all the Mojo and Uncut freebies dating back to 1998) and they are a great archive.

However when I want to sit down for some "serious" listening it's CD everytime for me.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
Gray said:
DIB said:
I wouldn't say that ripped FLAC files sound any better than the original CD. I'm no expert, but how could they?

+1

+2

I truly can't hear the difference between flak and CD, but I can definitely see the advantages in terms of convenience, so wouldn't knock anyone for going down that route.

Mac

I felt the same as you until I messed around and ripped 1 cd into flac using windows media player last week just to see what the difference was and I can tell the difference between basic cd and flac file .

this is unlikely but say you had David Gilmore live at Pompell which is a good recording anyway but you rip that cd and have a flac file and playback wish you were here on flac the difference between the cd and the flac file is clear you can hear the steel guitar strings on David Gilmore guitar more clearly they sound like steel strings .

the cd sounds good but the steel stings are not so good sounding as the flac file that’s why I feel it’s worth ripping flac files .

you want to try it if your got a windows Pc or something that can rip flac on one of your favourite CDs and compare the two recordings it costs nothing to try this at this stage .

and obviously it also comes down to your setup too how good it is in picking up detail and Dac related too and speakers all pay a important role in the process .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Sabbath the differences you are hearing must be within the dac from the streamer...you're picking up the difference between your cd player and streaming dac......the flac file can only sound the exact same as the cd it's just copied.
Mark The is a difference between both standard cd and the flac copy of the cd

what I meant is I am using the Dac from my CD player though the Yamaha wxc50 the flac version is sharper and you get small differences in detail but not every cd will do this

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Macspur said:
Gray said:
DIB said:

+1

+2

Mac

I felt the same as you until I messed around and ripped 1 cd into flac using windows media player last week just to see what the difference was and I can tell the difference between basic cd and flac file .

this is unlikely but say you had David Gilmore live at Pompell which is a good recording anyway but you rip that cd and have a flac file and playback wish you were here on flac the difference between the cd and the flac file is clear you can hear the steel guitar strings on David Gilmore guitar more clearly they sound like steel strings .

the cd sounds good but the steel stings are not so good sounding as the flac file that’s why I feel it’s worth ripping flac files .

you want to try it if your got a windows Pc or something that can rip flac on one of your favourite CDs and compare the two recordings it costs nothing to try this at this stage .

and obviously it also comes down to your setup too how good it is in picking up detail and Dac related too and speakers all pay a important role in the process .

I've done it BS and I truly can't hear the difference, like Mark said if I had abetter DAC or even more expensive CDP with better internal DAC, then perhaps, but I'd have to spend a lot of dosh to improve my current set up and quite frankly the combo of Accuphase, Electro EMC1UP and Harbs plus the M DAC Plus which is excellent for the comparative low price, is plenty good enough for now

I wish you lots of fun with your new set up though, it's always exciting to get new toys.

Mac

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
I was thinking of something that I can directly connect to the Yamaha wxc50

The Oppo 203 is DLNA compliant. I would use that to stream straight from the NAS. Try both and see which you prefer. I use an Oppo 105 to stream from a WDMyCloud. I also use a WDMyPassport connected by USB to the Oppo. Experiment with a few things, but the Oppo is an excellent streamer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I was thinking of something that I can directly connect to the Yamaha wxc50

The Oppo 203 is DLNA compliant. I would use that to stream straight from the NAS. Try both and see which you prefer. I use an Oppo 105 to stream from a WDMyCloud. I also use a WDMyPassport connected by USB to the Oppo. Experiment with a few things, but the Oppo is an excellent streamer.
yes I have a Oppo 203 and you can use it for networking media but haven’t tried it yet

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone backup their music collection to the Cloud? I have around 780GB of FLAC files that I want to maintain as FLAC files (I am aware that providers like Google Play give you the storage but compress them to mp3) and would appreciate any pointers to decent cloud providers that may be an alternative backup solution for that size of library.

Thanks..

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Does anyone backup their music collection to the Cloud? I have around 780GB of FLAC files that I want to maintain as FLAC files (I am aware that providers like Google Play give you the storage but compress them to mp3) and would appreciate any pointers to decent cloud providers that may be an alternative backup solution for that size of library.

Thanks..
I think windows offers the cloud for the windows media player and then your got google cloud

I brought a external 1TB drive that maintenances my iTunes for backup but they also use a cloud based service but you pay a yearly fee which I do that myself .

but I am not sure if any of the services I’ve mentioned backup Flac files

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts