Wow ripping CDs into flac files is a upgrade of your music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yes but it depends on folder structure. That's if you use USB drive. You wouldn't be able to sort by genre, search by composer, or even sort by name.

You'd need to know if your alphabetical order has The Doors under D or T. Jimi Hendrix under J or H

With large collection these things are difficult to work without good software.

It would rely on you making proactive choices during the ripping process, as I did. Providing you make a decision at the start and stick to it, searching becomes a whole lot easier later on.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yes but it depends on folder structure. That's if you use USB drive. You wouldn't be able to sort by genre, search by composer, or even sort by name.

You'd need to know if your alphabetical order has The Doors under D or T. Jimi Hendrix under J or H

at present going by my Yamaha wxc50 MusicCast app it’s all in order from A-Z but obviously at the moment the laptop is acting as a server which talks to Yamaha wxc50 then the MusicCast app .

insider9

Quite agreed Major and for small collections it's not an issue. Well it's not an issue at all. What I'm saying there are other possibilities and it can be done better.

With how Yamaha handles local data it's a bit of a pain to use at times.

Say I want to play these two tracks "Blackstar" and "Outshined"

I go to David Bowie > Blackstar > Blackstar

Then Up, Up, scroll all the way down to

Soundgarden > Badmotorfinger > Outshined

Ok so not that much button pressing.

But let's say I want to play "Lazarus" from the same album afterwards. But let's say albums are sorted not by alphabetical order but in chronological order. Just scrolling to the bottom of Bowie is a little bit of a pain.

Then you scroll from bottom S (Soundgarden) to B or D for Bowie and them all the way down again. Just makes me tired writing this.

Oh and in case you ask why can you just search for "Lazarus"? There's no such option on the app when it comes to local files.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
insider9 said:

It would rely on you making proactive choices during the ripping process, as I did. Providing you make a decision at the start and stick to it, searching becomes a whole lot easier later on.
yep and already I’ve ripped 30 albums now but I think I will stop now and look into my options otherwise I will have to rip the albums I have done again if not careful .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Quite agreed Major and for small collections it's not an issue. Well it's not an issue at all. What I'm saying there are other possibilities and it can be done better.

With how Yamaha handles local data it's a bit of a pain to use at times.

Say I want to play these two tracks "Blackstar" and "Outshined"

I go to David Bowie > Blackstar > Blackstar

Then Up, Up, scroll all the way down to

Soundgarden > Badmotorfinger > Outshined

Ok so not that much button pressing.

But let's say I want to play "Lazarus" from the same album afterwards. But let's say albums are sorted not by alphabetical order but in chronological order. Just scrolling to the bottom of Bowie is a little bit of a pain.

Then you scroll from bottom S (Soundgarden) to B or D for Bowie and them all the way down again. Just makes me tired writing this.

Oh and in case you ask why can you just search for "Lazarus"? There's no such option on the app when it comes to local files.
so how would go about changing things then what equipment and software would you need to do this right

insider9

Really depends on how much you expect? Yamaha is perfectly workable. All in saying with growing library size it may become an unpleasant experience.

Is it only basic search and sort? Decent NAS should be able to do it depending on what software it's running. But you could do so much more.

Do you expect to write Ozzy in search and for it to show you anything he touched? Any album he's recorded whether as solo artist or in a band... any albums he contributed to as a guest musician, arranger or producer? Or you like a song and you wonder who covered it. How many versions are there including live performances.

For that you'd need Roon :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Really depends on how much you expect? Yamaha is perfectly workable. All in saying with growing library size it may become an unpleasant experience.

Is it only basic search and sort? Decent NAS should be able to do it depending on what software it's running. But you could do so much more.

Do you expect to write Ozzy in search and for it to show you anything he touched? Any album he's recorded whether as solo artist or in a band... any albums he contributed to as a guest musician, arranger or producer? Or you like a song and you wonder who covered it. How many versions are there including live performances.

For that you'd need Roon :)
I looked at Melco server but it’s £2000 which I am sure I can do it cheaper then that surly I will look at Roon

insider9

Roon could run on a relatively cheap PC hidden away or in some instances a NAS. It really is a great solution with so many options. And a big plus it integrates your local library with Tidal. You can get a free trial and see if you like it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Roon could run on a relatively cheap PC hidden away or in some instances a NAS. It really is a great solution with so many options. And a big plus it integrates your local library with Tidal. You can get a free trial and see if you like it.
$500 for life time membership

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
That's $1500 less than Melco. For a product that you get constant updates on.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
That's $1500 less than Melco. For a product that you get constant updates on.
what about bluesound node 2 it also streams from tidal and they say it has a good app too but would have to bypass the built in Dac

heres a link https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-20379-bluesound-vault-2-streamer-and-cd-ripper.aspx?varianthid=59484&gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW5-MrO_X5UYkPfHaTCI87oGioHOH1uSzoP3zNolt6TpCLtrerYwvgyxoCuuwQAvD_BwE

insider9

Apparently very good and it could work as a Roon endpoint ;)

I'm serious don't look at Roon price and be put off. Use it for a free trial period and if you don't like it that's fine.

In real terms DSP section of Roon that you can apply to however many endpoints your server can handle is worth more than a life membership. Dirac Live cost is equivalent and you can only use it one room.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Apparently very good and it could work as a Roon endpoint ;)

I'm serious don't look at Roon price and be put off. Use it for a free trial period and if you don't like it that's fine.

In real terms DSP section of Roon that you can apply to however many endpoints your server can handle is worth more than a life membership. Dirac Live cost is equivalent and you can only use it one room.
I will investigate this more as there are quite a lot of different ways to do this but feel it’s worth it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I agree, lots of different ways of doing it. My mates having the same dilemma right now :)
I tell you what insider I ripped David Gilmore live at Pompeii from cd and the track wish you where here on cd it sounded pretty good but ripped the same song I can now hear the steel guitar strings on his guitar clearly that’s the difference

insider9

I've not had a CD player for 6 months. And hardly used it in the last 18 months. Even best CD players and yours is very good will not read CDs in real time 100% of the time without errors. Include scratched/worn/dirty CDs and doing it in real time is more difficult. When ripping drive takes however many attempts to make sure it's right. That's the advantage.

D

Deleted member 108165

Sabbath, this is a silly question so forgive my asking: Have you made sure that the rip settings are set to flac or wav in wmp as I'm sure it defaults to wma unless you select best audio quality?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps it's just my requirements are simpler than most. For example in the five years since I ripped my collection, I've never once had the urge to sort or search by genre. Or by age, etc. My CDs are physically sorted on the shelves by artist, and generally that's all I expect my streaming solution to offer. The left-most CD in my collection is Changing Faces by 10cc, the right most is Eliminator by ZZ Top. It's just the distance between them grows as I buy more CDs, currently up to 750-odd, though my VA stuff is stored separately.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the nVidia Shield to replace my standalone WDTV media players (one in each downstairs room) which are still working but they will fail one day. Then it occurred to me that I could use Plex on my Amazon Fire TV's to do the same job, I have tablets in the kitchen and upstairs that will access both drives and play from them. Or I might go in another direction but it won't be a network player.

For backup you could use Synctoy on Windows which will sync your drive to another local drive on your network. The stuff I would find hard to replace is physically backed up on MDisc.

I use the synology nas in my signature along with plex media server and it works a treat sabbath..I don't need the pc running 24/7..everything is on the nas and sorted by the plex server which has a better interface between the synology or minim servers that I've also tried out......but defo get yourself db poweramp and rip right...rip once...you don't want to be unsure whether your rips are the best you can achieve....db poweramp will take away the lingering doubt.lol

Oh and I haven't touched my cd player since the summer...it's boxed and in the attic .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
Sabbath, this is a silly question so forgive my asking: Have you made sure that the rip settings are set to flac or wav in wmp as I'm sure it defaults to wma unless you select best audio quality?
yes I went though the option on the windows media settings and the file says flac too

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I tried to different methods today the first was ripping straight to my laptop then using windows media player which works flawless then I tried to directly connect my external hard drive straight to my Yamaha wxc50 by using a USB connection it works the same way as the laptop but lose album artwork because I am not using the media player but the files are still on the external hard drive so that way is a no no .

so you need a interface software basically on the hard drive to show album artwork and so on which I do not think I can carry over windows media software onto a external hard drive which is a ******

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying in a nutshell the Yamaha doesn't show the album-art for CDs ripped by WMP. You might have more luck with better ripping software. Microsoft products rule the workplace with Office but the apps they include with Windows suck.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I tried to different methods today the first was ripping straight to my laptop then using windows media player which works flawless then I tried to directly connect my external hard drive straight to my Yamaha wxc50 by using a USB connection it works the same way as the laptop but lose album artwork because I am not using the media player but the files are still on the external hard drive so that way is a no no .

so you need a interface software  basically on the hard drive to show album artwork and so on which I do not think I can carry over windows media software onto a external hard drive which is a ****** 

And then the music cast system. Once the number of tracks on the plugged in hard drive start increasing, browsing becomes slower, and art work is a hit n miss most of the time . Both of them suggest, using a external Nas for real time album work and speedier browsing. So the Nas does the hard lifting of browsing the drive for a particular track and not the wxc-50 or bluesound . So I bought a 4tb WD my cloud hard drive, and plugged it into my router. Now this gives me faster browsing and spot on artwork, on both the wxc-50 and bluesound powernode simultaneously.

And was almost a simple plug and play, for someone dumb at computers like me :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts