would this be a good match up?

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, i'm wondering if any of you WhatHiFi nuts can help me. I'm pretty certain which tv i'm going to purchase before christmas, my chosen set is of course the Sony KDL-32W4000. Is it really as good as the review on here says?

Edited by mods for house rules violation. I've read different reviews that have said the freeview picture is dreadful, not helped by the huge number of pixels on show, but with some motion handling issues.

I honestly hope this isn't the honest truth, i've been really looking forward to viewing and possibly buying this set. Although, i'm not that bothered about freeview, i'm more of a film nut. What signal did you guys at WhatHiFi use? A fully installed aerial on the outside of the building, or some wobbly thing from argos?

As for which Blu-Ray player i'm going to choose, i think it'll have to be the Panasonic BD-55. Does this sound like a pretty good/promising set to the people who have one or the other, maybe even both?

I'd love to hear from people who have one, or both of these products and have a good knowledge of what they're about. Editor, critic comments/hints/tips/advice are also needed.

thanks a lot. Rorschach.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
We hjave a proper aerial system installed, feeding all of our test rooms. Maybe the other revew is the result of the wobbly high street aerial?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:

Hi all, i'm wondering if any of you WhatHiFi nuts can help me. I'm pretty certain which tv i'm going to purchase before christmas, my chosen set is of course the Sony KDL-32W4000. Is it really as good as the review on here says?

Edited by mods for house rules violation. I've read different reviews eg techradar among others that have said the freeview picture is dreadful, not helped by the huge number of pixels on show, but with some motion handling issues.

I honestly hope this isn't the honest truth, i've been really looking forward to viewing and possibly buying this set. Although, i'm not that bothered about freeview, i'm more of a film nut. What signal did you guys at WhatHiFi use? A fully installed aerial on the outside of the building, or some wobbly thing from argos?

As for which Blu-Ray player i'm going to choose, i think it'll have to be the Panasonic BD-55. Does this sound like a pretty good/promising set to the people who have one or the other, maybe even both?

I'd love to hear from people who have one, or both of these products and have a good knowledge of what they're about. Editor, critic comments/hints/tips/advice are also needed.

thanks a lot. Rorschach.

Nothing much more to add than Andrew on the aerial issue - we have (like we continually suggest) a decent TV aerial, and can - and do - run several sets side by side so we can compare their performance, with analogue TV, Freeview, HD TV, DVD, Blu-ray etc.

We think the Sony set is an excellent all-rounder. If Freeview is a real issue for people (which it isn't for you), then they we'd say the top-end Panasonic LCDs have a slightly better digital tuner - but then their performance otherwise can't match the Sony.

As to the Blu-ray player - you don't mention what sound system you're going to plug it into? The Panasonic DMP-BD55 is a superb Blu-ray player, but then so is its cheaper, DMP-BD35 sibling. If you're just going to plug it into your TV, i'd go with the cheaper model - but if you're going the whole nine yards with a full surround set-up, the BD55 brings clearly superior sound to the party.

Yes, the BD55 has a better picture, too, but with a 32in set I think you'd strain to notice the difference between the two.

Hope this all helps.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
About the aerial issue, would you suggest getting a professionally fitted aerial outside of the house? Or would the Qed Qunex TTv be sufficient to my needs? (i found out about this aerial from someone needing help in your magazine)

I was looking towards buying the Sony KDL- 32W4000, purchasing the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and sometime after christmas getting a decent if not brilliant cinema/surround sound system. Would the Sony DAV-IS10 suffice?

Also, would you definitely say this is the tv to watch dvds/blu-ray a few times a week, not to mention twiddling my thumbs with the ps3, with the occasional freeview visit?

Thanks again. Rorschach

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
If i was you i would use the ps3 for movies and save the money for a bigger tv like the panny plasma 37px80, then when funds allow a budget av amp and speakers. Next year theres bound to be a fall in prices of bluray players and also a wider selection to choose from. Like claire said you probably wont see that much if any improvement with newer bd55 over the bd35 in terms of picture quality and the bd35 is on par with ps3. Where you might gain is sound, but the Sony DAV-IS10 wont make the most of it.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
A 32 would be perfect for my room, anything bigger would spoil the view as the tv and stand will be 1 to 3 metres away from my bed (funds/money isn't much of a problem).

I'd rather just use the PS3 for gaming, i thought if i use it for both Blu-Ray/DVD's and gaming it'll be worn out sooner than expected.

Of course that'll leave me with 2 HDMI cables (stupid question i know, but is it advisable to use one HDMI cable for both components? eg PS3, Blu-Ray player, or should i have a separate one for each?

The DAV-IS10 was just a suggestion, i haven't looked into home cinema properly yet.

it'd be a big help if both Lobby and Claire could reply, thanks.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Rorschach depending on how good you tv reception will effect tv picture what ever use plasma or lcd but worst on lcds. I live in a terrible area for reception and find that watching freeview i only get a good picture from the channels that also broadcast on sky ie sky sports extra. As for films and gaming Sony will be fine and yes if you decide to buy a bluray player you will need 2 hdmi cables, unless you fancy pulling out and changing over all the time. I would not recommend that just in case you break something, if you add an av amp you will need another 1. As your planning on using a setup in your bedroom you might not want huge speakers so in that case the Mission m cubes would be good may be the Jamos and a budget amp also i think Sony are bringing out a hd package wich includes a bd player all hd formats and wireless rear speakers. Clarie could tell if theres anything like that happening soon.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
A 32 would be perfect for my room, anything bigger would spoil the view as the tv and stand will be 1 to 3 metres away from my bed (funds/money isn't much of a problem).

I'd rather just use the PS3 for gaming, i thought if i use it for both Blu-Ray/DVD's and gaming it'll be worn out sooner than expected.

Of course that'll leave me with 2 HDMI cables (stupid question i know, but is it advisable to use one HDMI cable for both components? eg PS3, Blu-Ray player, or should i have a separate one for each?

The DAV-IS10 was just a suggestion, i haven't looked into home cinema properly yet.

it'd be a big help if both Lobby and Claire could reply, thanks.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
We'll not worry too much about the freeview, it's free, what do you expect. So, you'd advise me to have two HDMI cables for the PS3 and the Blu-Ray player? Is that all the Sony will be for films, Just fine?

Sorry about this Lobby, Claire, there's so much to do before Christmas.

Thanks again, Rorschach.

P.S Edited by Mods - please do not discuss moderation.

TRENDING THREADS