Will replacing my Marantz CD63 KIS with a new transport make any difference?

ajmjcowan

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently using a Marantz CD63 KIS as a transport with a MF Trivista 21 DAC, the sound of which I enjoy. However, I'm wondering whether using a newer player as a transport will give an improved/more detailed sound. I was thinking of something like a new Marantz CD6003 or a used player/transport from the Cyrus SE range.

I've been specifically considering the Cyrus SE range as based on most of the reviews I've read the general consensus is that they dig up more detail from discs than comparable players - is this a fair comment?

I've previously had an Arcam CD72 which I also used as a transport but couldn't notice any difference in sound between using it or the Marantz through the DAC. It's probably also worth noting that the transport and laser were replaced a few years ago in the Marantz so it shouldn't be mechanically "tired" (I've owned it from new and it's been very well cared for).

Any thoughts from people that have gone down this particular path (with the Trivista or any other DAC) would be greatly appreciated.

If it makes any difference, the rest of my system comprises a Plinius 9200 amp and Wharfedale 9.1 speakers (a temporary solution) which I'll soon replace, potentially with a pair of Monitor Audio RX1s which I like the sound of. However, therein lies another question - would I be better off spending the money on more expensive (and I'm assuming better) speakers, such as a pair of Spendors or PMCs as opposed to on a new transport?

Thanks.

T

the record spot

I think your amp and current CD/DAC deserve a better speaker than they have. There are others out there apart from Spendor and PMC, ATC which are heavily plugged on this forum so do bear that in mind (Monitor Audio's Gold and Platinum series, KEF, etc.).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Id definitely buy the best speakers you can (use your own ears, not what people recommend as everyone likes different styles)

As for transports ~ what you have now is sufficient to power high grade DACs. Only once you hit that limit should you start looking at better transports (I wouldnt even entertain the idea at this stage if I were you)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts